1070 to Vega64 or 2070?

I use freesync and gsync daily and I find them absolutely worth it.

I use a 1070 on a 4k panel and a 180hz panel. Vega 64 got around 90 fps higher than my 1070 in R6, which equates to 27%. That made 240hz a viable upgrade.

A Vega 64 is actually a good upgrade, but only if Freesync is there. Also, V64 needs 3 fans for quiet OC.

OK. Decided to go with it and got the Vega 64. Prices came down to the point where I wanted to see what the big deal is with FreeSync (I just bought a 32" Pixio PX329, 1440p @144Hz, 165Hz w/o FreeSync). My son was looking for a little bit more performance over the Geforce 970 I gave him two years ago anyway, so I gave him my 1070.

I ended up with the MSI one versus the Sapphire. User reviews were about the same and appears to be the same reference design and blower as far as I can tell. With an eBay 10% discount and $30 MSI rebate, final purchase price was $357 including tax. Not a bad deal all things considered.

Very happy so far, but I haven't had time to tweak it. It does run hot and loud, but no where near as bad as I had read about. Without any undervolting, temps are hovering around 65-68C for the most part, with the occasional spikes up to 73-77C. Currently using the default "balance" setting with the drivers. Fan spin up noise is noticable, but not really more than what I'm getting with my system fans so it doesn't bother me. My ambient room temps are about 22-23C. In the summer with A/C, temps are usually around 25-26C. Any warmer and I typically don't want to be on the computer anyway, and certainly not in the mood for gaming.

If there's any gripe, I didn't get the free games that comes with the current promotion. I bought the card from Newegg through their eBay site. I guess I have to buy it from their main site to qualify for the promotion, which is BS if you ask me. Not that I was really looking forward to those games, but it would have been nice if they simply said so instead of ignoring my email.

Anyway, for now, I guess I'm happy. I will miss PhysX since I'm huge fan of the Batman Arkham series, but I'm hoping FreeSync will make up for it going forward.

By the way, can anyone recommend a non-water aftermarket cooler for this card? I read about the Morpheus II and especially the version specifically made for the Vega, but I can't find a single place that stocks these.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this card seems to be clocked MUCH higher than advertised. This is the MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Air Boost 8G OC. Boost clock is listed as 1575MHz upper ceiling. According to HWMonitor and GPUz, it's actually 1663MHz. This being the case, I have no plans of overclocking, but still want to bring down the thermals.

Nice. Looking good.

I wouldn't worry about hardware PhysX, almost no games use it anymore. Not a huge loss.

Okay, so, for the 1070 - 2070 the difference is at best 15% (at least as I can surmise with the reviews here on |H|, etc) and while that is a gain, if you try RTX in the only title that has it, it will be unplayable. If you do non RTX gaming (like 99% of gamers) then it would be best to wait as the 1070 is better because you already own it and the performance gain is not worth the large cost. Although I love AMD, I cannot love their Vega series and believe that it would be a downgrade for your 1070. It could be argued either way, but I do wait 2 to 3 gens before transitioning to a new card. I use a Gigabyte G1 8Gb rx480 and still push that thing to the max with my games. If all is well with AMD's next series, I will finally upgrade.

-KillA_KIA

Okay, so, for the 1070 - 2070 the difference is at best 15% (at least as I can surmise with the reviews here on |H|, etc) and while that is a gain, if you try RTX in the only title that has it, it will be unplayable. If you do non RTX gaming (like 99% of gamers) then it would be best to wait as the 1070 is better because you already own it and the performance gain is not worth the large cost. Although I love AMD, I cannot love their Vega series and believe that it would be a downgrade for your 1070. It could be argued either way, but I do wait 2 to 3 gens before transitioning to a new card. I use a Gigabyte G1 8Gb rx480 and still push that thing to the max with my games. If all is well with AMD's next series, I will finally upgrade.

-KillA_KIA

Here's the exact quote from this page of the [H] article

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/22/rtx_2070_vs_2080_gtx_1080_ti_1070/11

Quote:

"The RTX 2070 smashes the GTX 1070 in performance. We experienced up to a 50% performance improvement (mostly around 40% plus)"

I have no idea where you are getting this 15% number from

Here's the exact quote from this page of the [H] article

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/22/rtx_2070_vs_2080_gtx_1080_ti_1070/11

Quote:

"The RTX 2070 smashes the GTX 1070 in performance. We experienced up to a 50% performance improvement (mostly around 40% plus)"

I have no idea where you are getting this 15% number from

<facepalm> You're very correct and I stand corrected... I believe I was looking at the 1080 Ti to RTX 2080 comparison... </facepalm>

Back