1080p from HDTV vs. 1080p from LCD monitor

EarthBrain

Limp Gawd
Is watching Blu-Ray movies on a 1080p monitor better in terms of image quality than a 1080p HDTV such as a 52" Sony XBR4 or 52" Samsung HDTV?

I am only talking about image quality, not sound quality since I think that nothing beats watching HDTV or projectors with a great receiver with great speakers.

I would have to say HDTV, because most LCD monitor are 16:10 which leave two black bars on top and bottom and HDTV is 16:9 which fits 1080p nicely. If you are talking just blue ray movies there's little different between the two, but if you are watching SD I would have to say HDTV. Now if I have a 52" Sony XBR4 I would be in heaven :).

Oh, you're going to get the new Benq 16:9 LCD monitor. Very nice. Keep us updated.

Is watching Blu-Ray movies on a 1080p monitor better in terms of image quality than a 1080p HDTV such as a 52" Sony XBR4 or 52" Samsung HDTV?

I am only talking about image quality, not sound quality since I think that nothing beats watching HDTV or projectors with a great receiver with great speakers.

FFS.....there's a world of difference, the difference will be staggering.
The only value of bluray over DVD for 22-27in LCD, is that you can watch it from 800mm or less, but you'll need to be 2mtrs from a 26-27in to get the best from DVD, that said, you can still watch both DVD and SDTV from close range.

No.

You state you are comparing size but then tell us you are only comparing image quality.
They are 2 different fish.

Movies, bigger = better.
There can be qualitative issues as well but this is assuming equal quality.
One things for sure, they dont make Plasma desktop monitors.

Explain?

Measured contrast and black level performance of better LCD TVs is superior compared to most computer displays. And certainly the latest plasmas and LED backlighted TVs take things up a level.

I assume OP's question harkens back to the days when a CRT monitor, such as a GDM-FW900, would make the PQ of most LCD TVs and plasmas look like a joke. Since then PQ of TV's has gotten better and of computer displays (thanks LCD) worse...

Well on TVs the contrast is jacked up considerably for the black levels...it increases sharpness but decreases color acuity...objects with slightly different hues of the same color will be almost impossible to make out on the standard calibration settings on an LCD TV...if you reduce the settings to what an LCD monitor is...well you pretty much get LCD monitor performance, lol...

As far as 16:10 vs 16:9...well the vast majority of HD movies right now are still in traditional wide screen resolution (2.4:1 ratio). So most of the time you are dealing with black bars anyway...

I'm not referring to the more dramatic increases over PC monitors using dynamic contrast and other TV tricks. As far as I know, the TV panels themselves, less dramatically, but outside of adjustments, are just superior in regard to contrast, with TV having advanced at a faster rate. (And with PC monitors being driven more by price lowering and bogus spec competitions, such as "brightness.") Of course, this is a very generalized answer. You'd have to look at specific models for a buying decision...

For color matching, I'd still recommend an NEC pro model with a calibrator, but that's a different discussion...

EDIT: Also, by "measured" earlier I was referring to contrast measurements taken after calibration away from the often terrible (to my eyes) standard settings...

I assume OP's question harkens back to the days when a CRT monitor, such as a GDM-FW900, would make the PQ of most LCD TVs and plasmas look like a joke. Since then PQ of TV's has gotten better and of computer displays (thanks LCD) worse...

No small shitty PC monitor can ever hope to trounce a large HDTV with superior SIZE, blacks, contrast, and picture settings....FFS, 720p at a lousy 8000kbps looks nearly the same as the original at 18 000kbps, IOW, the small monitor CANNOT display the full visible resolution of a strong HDTV signal, particularly bluray.

Well on TVs the contrast is jacked up considerably for the black levels...it increases sharpness but decreases color acuity...objects with slightly different hues of the same color will be almost impossible to make out on the standard calibration settings on an LCD TV...if you reduce the settings to what an LCD monitor is...well you pretty much get LCD monitor performance, lol...

Yeah, these days, you'll just have to live with plasma like BLACK LEVELS......on no, what a tragedy....ie, the best Sony and Samsung LCD have excellent calibrated blacks and produce an outstanding PQ with HDTV.

Back