1080p LCD, will I have issue with games resolution?

Hornet

Supreme [H]ardness
I'll be getting a LCD monitor soon, and currently my budget only allows me to get a 23 inch one. Thing is, I haven't been actively playing any new games lately, putting them on hold until my new build early next year:p

Seems all 23in monitor comes with the 1080p resolution, so I'm just wondering do all recent games support this resolution? Or will I have some games being stretch out of proportion.

There are few 24inch monitor with the usuall 1920x1200 res, but they are way out of my budget:(

Thanks for any input or suggestion...

i've been on 1920x1080 for a long time now (37w1) and i haven't run into any issues, if a game supports 16:10 it will support 16:9

the usual widescreen issues apply for older games or games that don't support widescreen resolution.

I think the only game that I've seen that didn't support 1080p natively was Freelancer, and that's because it only goes up to 1280x960 without manually editing the config file. Any modern game will run perfectly fine at 1080p.

Haven't run into any games that support 1200 but not 1080. Older games usually require editing of the registry or a INI file and that goes for any resolution usually above the max they supported at the time.

BTW, I don't know what your budget is but if it's around 250~ then this monitor is pretty good for gaming. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210447661

Whats your budget? You can usually find a 24" monitor that supports 1920x1200 for around $200-$240, pretty close to what you'd pay for a 23".

you can also set up in your video drivers to not stretch beyond it's max resolution. So think full screen but vertical letterbox for old 4:3 games.

ya, very few games wont work with 1920x1080.

Only game I own that doesnt got to that resolution is BF2142, but all new games support it.

I just ordered an inexpensive 25.5" Asus TN LCD monitor.
i was actually worried about it being 1920x1200, 16:10 given that most new games nowadays are actually just console ports that are designed for 1920x1080, 16:9.

i got a benQ 24inch 1080p LCD and i never had any problems with ANY games

1080p should be just fine, and I actually paid 149 for my asus 22". Its pretty nice.

I just got this sweetness for $270 (was $290 and had a $20 promo code) shipped and $240 after MIR. Just unboxed it last night and loving it!

I just got this sweetness for $270 (was $290 and had a $20 promo code) shipped and $240 after MIR. Just unboxed it last night and loving it!

That's the monitor I also ordered on friday, but wont arrive till later this week.

Some people here in the display forums were saying that the display on this model is a little too blue.

I was wondering if you have also noticed that?

To the OP: Use widescreengamingforum.com's Games List for instructions on making almost any game display widescreen correctly.

Thank you everyone for the feedback :D

I don't live in US, so the currency is different, and those monitor probably cost more over here too. Going through several online retail stores, I think I've only found one or two places with 24" that uses 1920x1200

I don't mind having to manually tweak the game setting for some older games I still playing, as long as I won't run into trouble with all the newer games, I'll be happy with a 1080p monitor :p

Again thanks for all replies

I don't like these newer 16:9 monitors because they are too short in the vertical and 16:10 is short enough already. I'm sure they are fine for gaming but for other tasks, like web browsing, they suck.

I don't like these newer 16:9 monitors because they are too short in the vertical and 16:10 is short enough already. I'm sure they are fine for gaming but for other tasks, like web browsing, they suck.
My 1080p display is perfectly fine for browsing, image editing, CAD, etc.

Well, it's not just my opinion because I have seen other people say they don't like them for the same reason but perhaps if I bought one and used it for a while I would find it ok. Thing is that if I buy one and don't like it then I just wasted a few hundred dollars which makes it an expensive risk. The monitor that interests me the most is the Asus 25.5" 16:10 for $300.00 CAD.

Well, it's not just my opinion because I have seen other people say they don't like them for the same reason but perhaps if I bought one and used it for a while I would find it ok. Thing is that if I buy one and don't like it then I just wasted a few hundred dollars which makes it an expensive risk. The monitor that interests me the most is the Asus 25.5" 16:10 for $300.00 CAD.
I suspect that most of the people with qualms about 16:9 displays would stop complaining if they actually went and used a 1080p monitor for a decent amount of time.

I've gotten so used to a 1080p monitor. At first it did seem wide but it's more natural. It might not be the best for some computing tasks, but for games and movies, wider is better. There's a reason the HD standards have that aspect ratio.

My 1080p has been totally fine. No issues at all. Even my older games, I just added the tag for a custom res and it worked fine.

Stereophile;1034963090There's a reason the HD standards have that aspect ratio.

That's to do with movies though and not gaming. Doesn't matter though as I just ordered the HansG 28" 16:10 monitor for a low $299.99 CAD + free shipping from Newegg's Black Friday sale. For gaming that's going to pwn your puny 24" 16:9 moniotrs. :)

That's to do with movies though and not gaming. Doesn't matter though as I just ordered the HansG 28" 16:10 monitor for a low $299.99 CAD + free shipping from Newegg's Black Friday sale. For gaming that's going to pwn your puny 24" 16:9 moniotrs. :)

But movies are 21:9 :confused:

That's the monitor I also ordered on friday, but wont arrive till later this week.

Some people here in the display forums were saying that the display on this model is a little too blue.

I was wondering if you have also noticed that?

No, I haven't noticed it being to blue on mine. It has like 5 diff presets you can change on the fly (with a dedicated button) for diff modes like "theater, game, scenery, standard, and night vision" modes. It also has different color temp settings and you can change and save presets for the RGB tones. So even if it does run a little blue, I don't see why you couldn't easily correct it. I have no complaints about this monitor so far, but I'm coming from an older 19" 4:3 Samsung LCD, so I really don't have much to compare it with. Oh, besides my works Dell 2407s and it definitely seems comparable to those too.

Its much nicer to have 1920x1200. 120px goes a long way. Try two side by side and see which one you prefer.
I have done that. I found that going from 1200 to 1080 made very little difference. However, there was an additional factor in play -- the 1920x1200 was a piece of shit TN panel and the 1920x1080 is IPS. :p The loss of vertical room may have been overshadowed by the image quality. It's hard to appreciate an extra 120 pixels when everything else about the display makes you want to smash it and then burn the pieces.

I notice a big difference going from 1080 vertical on my desktop to 900 on my laptop -- the laptop display always seems too short. As always, YMMV.

But movies are 21:9 :confused:

It varies, many newer ones are using 16:9 now and probably because they know many of us prefer to watch at home on HDTV instead of going to some smelly cinema were they use fake butter on the popcorn and charge you $5.00 for $1.00 worth. There really is no standard aspect ratio so the Stereophile dude is talking dope.

Back