1080p playback stutters but Blu-ray plays fine.

Sate

Weaksauce
This has been vexing me for many months. My system has no trouble playing full 1080p blu-ray movies- whether directly from the disc, or after ripped to my external eSATA storage array. I play them with Corel or cyberlink, either way fine.

Trouble is if I download a 1080p video from anywhere it stutters badly on playback, whether on local HD or the eSATA (which is actually much faster). The CPU and ram are not taxed at all at any point. I've tried multiple players such as BSplayer, VLC and media player classic. I've played with dozens of setting on VLC, including jacking the file buffer to 25000ms without the slightest change in performance. 720p vids never seem to be an issue. wtf is going on here? Here are my system specs:

Win7 ultimate 64-bit (just installed again yesterday so very little extraneous software, and all drivers are current)
AMD Phenom triple core 2.1ghz
ASUS M3A78T mobo
4GB DDR2-800 corsair ram
Nvidia GTS 450, 1gb DDR5
WD 640gb hd
Rocketraid 2322 PCI-e eSATA raid in x16 slot; RAID 0

Sorry, should have said.

H264, no set bitrate afaik. I tested a 1080 WMV just to see and it seemed fine.

well, the nVidia chip should work to at least 40mbps h264, however, anything significantly (I say significantly, since a lot of my remuxes seems to have 60mbps spikes the bluray discs don't) higher may cause issues.

EDIT: do you have the latest:

DirectX <-- I don't know if this applies to nVidia GPU. I know AMD GPU use DXVA, however.
nVidia drivers that work

installed?

directx 11. VLC reports around 9mbps as it stutters. It's definitely uneven. Scenes with lots of movement, higher bitrate req'd = more pauses or stutters. Nvidia drivers I have installed at 275.50.

I'm thinking overlay. On one of the older computer in the house, Blu-ray rip stutters when running it in Windows Media Center (via Media Browser and Arcsoft Total Media Theater), but it runs smoothly if I run it on vanilla Total Media Theater without Windows Media Center running.

Back