1080p TV with Xbox 360 + HD-DVD addon

Mysticode

Gawd
If I buy a true 1080p television that has a HDMI 1.3 connection, and a component connection, can I plug in to it my xbox 360 with a HD-DVD addon via component connection and play an HD-DVD in 1080p and have my television display it in 1080p?

it would only work if your tv accepts 1080p through component, most tvs component only has 1080i so it depends. For 1080p with HD-DVD/360 u could just get a VGA adaptor.

So if I go and rent like Superman in HD-DVD, it will be displaying in true 1080p in this theoretical setup I mentioned above?

Someone was telling me that true 1080p was only capable on 1.3 HDMI?

Nonsense. I can play 1080p via VGA to my 2407.

Just get a VGA to HDMI adapter, and you're set. If you TV has VGA, then you can just hook up your xBox to that port for TRUE 1080p.

The King Kong HD-DVD looks outstanding, even on my stretched 16:10 LCD that doesn't support 1:1 mapping.

There is so much misinformation regarding HD, HDMI, and other interfaces. :rolleyes:

I'm 20 with a full time job, not sure how much of a "kid" you might think I am.

My concern is if I could use component to handle true 1080p signals, I really don't care much about HDMI since component can do the same.

I've read that the xbox on 1080p will play the games via component at that resolution, but not the hd-dvd movies, they'll be in 1080i. If you want 1080p for movies, you'll need the vga cable or the elite via hdmi.

So if my TV has a VGA input, then I can do true 1080p through and through? And that said, how would I do audio with that setup?

So if my TV has a VGA input, then I can do true 1080p through and through? And that said, how would I do audio with that setup?

same way you would do audio for component :)

preferably optical to a receiver.

your tv should however have a series of banana plugs to go with the VGA, the 360 VGA cable has an audio dongle I believe (I don't have one yet myself)

Unfortunately I don't know how I would do audio for component. Sad to say that I am complete A/V idiot, but at the same time a computer professional. :(

The VGA cable has red and white audio connectors plus it can take optical as well in case you have a receiver. What is your current speaker set-up?

Unfortunately I don't know how I would do audio for component. Sad to say that I am complete A/V idiot, but at the same time a computer professional. :(

red and white RCA plugs, or optical

same way you would do audio with composite (yellow plug) cable.

Ok, so the component would plug into my TV, and the red and white of the composite cable go into my reciever?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems like the OP's question has been answered, so here goes:

I just bit on the Westinghouse 37W3 (which I am very excited about :D ). I've got a 360, and since the TV is 1080P, I am looking for an HD-DVD drive. I have done some research, and heard that the 360's HD-DVD drive upscales normal DVDs to 1080P (assuming you have it connected to your TV through VGA and and your TV can do 1080P). Is this the case?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems like the OP's question has been answered, so here goes:

I just bit on the Westinghouse 37W3 (which I am very excited about :D ). I've got a 360, and since the TV is 1080P, I am looking for an HD-DVD drive. I have done some research, and heard that the 360's HD-DVD drive upscales normal DVDs to 1080P (assuming you have it connected to your TV through VGA and and your TV can do 1080P). Is this the case?

The 360s normal dvd drive will upscale with a VGA, HDMI, or HDMI<-->DVI cable.

Back