11-13" CULV/Netbook

Tosicc

Limp Gawd
I've been searching tirelessly for a notebook that fits these requirements:

- 11-13" (12" is preferred)
- Upgradeable RAM (or over 2GB)
- Webcam

Seems easy... but not so much. I'd really appreciate everyones input on any notebooks they've had experience with these kinds. I am a college student looking for something portable to use when I am away from my PC. I owned a EEE901 previously and it just wasn't enough screen real estate for my liking.

Thinkpad X60 (nontablet) would have been abosolutely perfect for me but it lacks a webcam! I've also had my eye on S12 -- but it seems lack luster for the price tag. I'd really like to go Core2 route if at all possible. Anything over $700 retail will be pushing it (plan on buying used for under $550~)

Last edited:
While I've never used this product I was looking at Slickdeals earlier and they had this Toshiba on sale for $480. It's a Toshiba Satellite T135-S1305RD 13.3" Laptop, Intel Pentium SU4100 1.3GHz, 3GB, 320GB HDD, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium. It's not a Core 2 but for the price maybe it fits your needs.

I bought a gateway LT3103u for my mom for her real estate, maybe not the processor you want but it comes factory with 2gigs, has a webcam, and a 11.6" screen with that weird 1360x780 resolution, forgot exact #'s

I found it for $230 shipped with a logitech wireless mouse.

Snagged a Lenovo 3000 V100: Core2 2.0, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD for $250 from Craigslist

With 4GB RAM this thing will be beast! Really impressed with the display.

I'm using an Acer 1410 right now

CULV, comes with 2GB of ram and has a free slot
Good resolution @ 1366x768
Win 7 home premium 64 bit
250GB drive

Runs surprisingly quick. Can't handle a lot of games but I can play Civ 4 on it with no issues.

Actually a base tm2 might fit this is you can find a coupon code, people are picking them up for around $700. I only mention it because it is EXACTLY what you want,

- 11-13" (12" is preferred) -> tm2 is 12.1" with a C2D CULV
- Upgradeable RAM (or over 2GB) ->tm2 goes to 8GB
- Webcam ->tm2 has Webcam

But with a coupon it should be within the high end of your range.

ASUS UL20A-A1 $529 good user reviews, 12.1'' comes with su7300 and less than 3.3lbs, should be a decent option.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Gateway EC1803h (rebranded version of Acer 1410/1810 series) if you can find one (they go for <$400). It's great. Check my sig for specs.

Throwing in my 2 cents... I just picked up the 1201N which has a Atom N330 (desktop dual core w/ HT) and has the Nvidia ION (9400M) and 4-5 hour battery life. Running around $480 or so on Amazon and quite frankly--- is f'ning kick ass. Use it for light gaming (Steam Source games) and Photoshop and it works awesome.

I agree with the post above me, I have a mini 311 that I upgraded to 3 GB of ram (1 slot free) and it does most of what I throw at it.

Source games get bogged down because of the weak processor, but it's a single core and the 1201 has the 330 instead of the 270. 11.6" screen at 1366*768, HDMI, VGA, 3 USB, card reader, and a weird mic/speaker combo port.

I picked the 311 up on sale for $380 CND, from what I've seen since it retails for $450.

Throwing in my 2 cents... I just picked up the 1201N which has a Atom N330 (desktop dual core w/ HT) and has the Nvidia ION (9400M) and 4-5 hour battery life. Running around $480 or so on Amazon and quite frankly--- is f'ning kick ass. Use it for light gaming (Steam Source games) and Photoshop and it works awesome.

I'm selling the Lenovo I bought for this! I've already ruled out the black version due to the fingerprints but I wonder how smoothly this thing plays HoN?

I'll be getting my MSI Wind12 tommorrow: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152160 I'll let ya know what I think.

BTW I had an Acer Aspire 1410 with the SU4100, just got the 1810T (SU7300) for my MIL yesterday, which I'm messing with now.

No gaming: Aspire 1810
Light gaming: MSI Wind12...........Pinetrail fails because the atom processor will probably hurt you where games use up CPU.

MSI fails in battery life, but it will do 4 hours and it is upgradeable.

Hows the wind? Now I torn... Should I just go for the 1201N, wait for 1201PN (unlikely due to the single core cpu), or wait for something better.

Since my eee901 I've been waiting patiently for the 12" market to advance and I feel like its finally there but I cant help but feel robbed paying $475 for a eee netbook pretty much when there are $600 i3 laptop deals all the time.

So the question is does anyone see any major breakthroughs coming in the 12" market in the near future?

I'm re-loading Win7 Ultimate 64 on it now. The quality is much better than the Acer. Obviously I can't give you a performance review until I get windows loaded and kick around the block, but I really like the ergonomics.

The touchpad is textured so it doesn't get as sticky as the smooth touchpad of the Acer. The keys are concave, unlike the flat Acer's. Even though the finish is glossy, it's not as much of a fingerprint magnet either. It's also sturdier than the Acer and removing the hard drive is nicer because it uses a standard SATA port vs the ribbon cable the Acer uses.

It's just barely bigger and I like the screen quality as well.

I'll post more after I get her up and running.

thanks.

any 1201n owners out there that can tell me: a) does the card carder fit SD cards all the way in or does it stick partially out b) how is the sound quality/volume?

also the 1201n has hdmi out... will i be able to play media directly to my 42" sony or will it not be able to handle it?

Last edited:
Just watched Iron Man in 1080 last night on my big screen using the HDMI out. Playing BF2142 at high settings except for dynamic lighting and shadows at default resolution. Overclocking the GPU works great with AMD GPU clock tool. Still can't OC the CPU yet. Touchpad doesn't support multi-touch.

Back