1150 mobo that supports ECC and Celeron

kumquat

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there such thing as a motherboard that supports ECC RAM as well as a Celeron G1850 (Haswell)?

I see a number of server motherboards with C222 chipsets that support ECC, but they only seem to list the Xeon processors as supported. Intel's website says that the G1850 supports ECC RAM, though.

Are there motherboards that support this combo?

Just my opinion, but ECC is a bit over rated, memory is very reliable these days.

Dell has those low end servers in the $180 range, and I think they have better CPUs than Celeron.

Just my opinion, but ECC is a bit over rated, memory is very reliable these days.

Dell has those low end servers in the $180 range, and I think they have better CPUs than Celeron.

It's not overrated when you care about long-term data integrity with a filesystem like ZFS.

Anyway, thanks for the link, Meeho. I had been focusing on Newegg's motherboard specs. I should have been looking at CPU support lists on the manufacturer's site. This helps.

It's not overrated when you care about long-term data integrity with a filesystem like ZFS. <clip>

Well then... :)

Still, you're going to face problems with the OS itself and the storage system, before you
see any memory problems that ECC would fix for you.

If your data is that super-critical, why piece together a low-end system like this?

Shouldn't you be buying a high-end server with all server validated parts?

Well then... :)

Still, you're going to face problems with the OS itself and the storage system, before you
see any memory problems that ECC would fix for you.

If your data is that super-critical, why piece together a low-end system like this?

Shouldn't you be buying a high-end server with all server validated parts?

Please stop talking. You literally don't understand what you're talking about.

Please stop talking. You literally don't understand what you're talking about.

Please enlighten me then genius.

Pretend for a second that we have no idea what your application is.
You asked for help while providing very little info.

People try to help and you go to asshole mode, nice.

Edit to add: I've been working with micros, minis, mainframes, and OSes for many years. ECC on RAM used to be important
years ago. It really isn't so much any more. My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
Please enlighten me then genius.

Pretend for a second that we have no idea what your application is.
You asked for help while providing very little info.

People try to help and you go to asshole mode, nice.

ZFS is a filesystem with data integrity built into it. It uses a checksum system so that it can catch otherwise-silent data corruption that would go unnoticed on traditional filesystems. If you keep files for a long time, chances are you're going to get some occasional small-scale data degredation. It simply happens. Hard drives are not 100% reliable, especially over the long term.

ZFS trusts the data in RAM for data integrity purposes. When doing calculations on stored data to check its integrity, the system has to trust the RAM. If there's an error, even a single bit error, in the RAM that goes undetected, ZFS will believe the data on the disk is corrupted and either fail or erroneously fix it.

Running a filesystem like ZFS without ECC RAM totally obviates the entire purpose of running ZFS in the first place.

I urge you to go back and read the first two posts of this thread. I asked for something specific, and you told me I didn't need it. I then told you why I did need it, which I didn't have to do, and then you spouted some nonsense about why I didn't actually need it.

Now, please, drop it.

People are all the time intent on buying hardware they don't need for their application.
I was honestly trying to figure out what you are doing with the hardware.

It seems strange to me you are using a Celeron processor and asking for assistance
on motherboard selection for a super-critical ZFS, ECC, NASA Space Center application.

Whatever dude.

It seems strange to me you are using a Celeron processor and asking for assistance
on motherboard selection for a super-critical ZFS, ECC, NASA Space Center application.

I have files that are 20, 25 years old at this point. GB and GB of personal files that can't be replaced. Pictures, documents, code, programs, audio, video, binary files, obsolete formats, etc. The vast majority of these files go untouched for years at a time, and a small amount of data degredation could render one or more of these files ruined at any time, and I'd not know it for a long time - at which point it would be too late to do anything about it.

Properly-implemented ZFS with multiple offsite backup is a robust way to do that. I grew uncomfortable knowing my files sitting on my Windows server could suffer degredation and I would not know about it.

So data integrity is important to me. I don't need to be doing orbital calculations for NASA to want to implement data integrity on my personal files.

If you don't care about any of your data, that's your right. If you aren't interested enough in any of your files to want to make sure they're readable or usable in a few years, I don't care.

You don't know my use case. I didn't say anything at all about my use case. I asked a specific hardware question. You didn't know why I was asking it or what I was using it for, yet you decided to tell me I didn't need it anyway. Then you stuck to your guns when I assured you that I did need it.

And through it all, you didn't even attempt to offer an answer to my question!

It's OK to admit you're wrong and back off.

It's totally absurd from the get-go to start with the cheapest off the shelf parts you can find to build your super-duper totally error free system.

The minute I saw "1150 mobo that supports ECC and Celeron" I knew this was a silly misguided project.

You don't get that?

Why would you take 25 year old critical data and store it on spinning hard drives?

You said you don't even need to access it very often, but yet that critical data is spinning
around and around on those hard drives.

What you truly need is reliable archives.

Try looking at something like M-Disk for a cheap easy and safe solution for your data.

http://www.amazon.com/M-DISC-4-7GB-Permanent-Archival-Backup/dp/B005Y4NKE0

What you are doing is not a good idea for the safe archival of critical data.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's totally absurd from the get-go to start with the cheapest off the shelf parts you can find to build your super-duper totally error free system.

The minute I saw "1150 mobo that supports ECC and Celeron" I knew this was a silly misguided project.

You don't get that?

Why would you take 25 year old critical data and store it on spinning hard drives?

You said you don't even need to access it very often, but yet that critical data is spinning
around and around on those hard drives.

What you truly need is reliable archives.

Try looking at something like M-Disk for a cheap easy and safe solution for your data.

http://www.amazon.com/M-DISC-4-7GB-Permanent-Archival-Backup/dp/B005Y4NKE0

What you are doing is not a good idea for the safe archival of critical data.

Thank you for your help. You are a scholar and I thank you for your great wisdom.

Mental note: never use a Celeron and put my data on DVDs.

Please PM me an invoice for your services, and I encourage you to go through the rest of my post history to give me unsolicited advice on all of my other endeavors as well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unsolicited advice?

lol..... you came here looking for advice sparky!

M-Disk is not a normal DVD, look at the link and learn something.

I can see keeping data on a small server for availability, but what you truly need is a method of
reliable backups & archives. Take many snapshot backups of the data so it's not at risk due to faulty
hardware at all.

You could also buy some large flash drives to store your data and lock it in a safe with a couple
of sets of M-Disk backups. Maybe get a lock-box at the bank for a set of backups too.

I wasn't planning on invoicing you for my time, but I will if you like.
I charge $95/hour with a one hour minimum and my customers love my advice.

Keep up with the butthurt little man bit, people are really drawn to that behavior.

Unsolicited advice?

I came looking for 1150 motherboards that support Celerons and ECC RAM, and a helpful user pointed me to some. I appreciate his help.

As for the rest... I'm glad I gave you an opportunity to assert some internet dominance. You should link to this thread on your marketing materials.

Is there such thing as a motherboard that supports ECC RAM as well as a Celeron G1850 (Haswell)?

I see a number of server motherboards with C222 chipsets that support ECC, but they only seem to list the Xeon processors as supported. Intel's website says that the G1850 supports ECC RAM, though.

Are there motherboards that support this combo?

Yes, many. It's all about the chipset, since as you found, the Pentium supports ECC. Also, i3 supports ECC. i5 and i7 don't support ECC.

The cheapest way to get what you want would be to get a Dell T20. It has a motherboard with a C226 chipset, Pentium G3220, 4GB ECC RAM, and it's under $200 new. It was a steal in Dec, just before Christmas, when it was about $150.
It's barebones, as in cpu and memory, but no HD and no OS.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-t20/pd

They are also available on ebay, Amazon, etc if you look around.

Lenovo has a similar server, but with an i3, so it's a bit more money. Model number is TS140.

The cheapest way to get what you want would be to get a Dell T20. It has a motherboard with a C226 chipset, Pentium G3220, 4GB ECC RAM, and it's under $200 new. It was a steal in Dec, just before Christmas, when it was about $150.
It's barebones, as in cpu and memory, but no HD and no OS.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-t20/pd

They are also available on ebay, Amazon, etc if you look around.

Lenovo has a similar server, but with an i3, so it's a bit more money. Model number is TS140.

I've already got the CPU, a PSU, and a bucketful of 4GB ECC DIMMs.

The Dell T20 mobo only has 4 SATA ports, though. I really want 6. It's a good suggestion, but I found a suitable motherboard for about half that price, and the T2 doesn't offer anything extra that I need.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unsolicited advice?

He did, and you basically gave him your opinion and felt the need to argue with him about it when he didn't agree. He can do whatever the hell he wants - either give him a valid suggestion for the board he's looking for or move on.

He did, and you basically gave him your opinion and felt the need to argue with him about it when he didn't agree. He can do whatever the hell he wants - either give him a valid suggestion for the board he's looking for or move on.

Lol.... why are you trying to stir this up again 8 days later?
Nice troll move.

I offered my opinion and then I got personally attacked, you're damn right it turns into an argument at that point.
He could have just ignored my post, but that's not what happened.

Who are you to tell me to move on?

MYOB!

Lol.... why are you trying to stir this up again 8 days later?
Nice troll move.

I offered my opinion and then I got personally attacked, you're damn right it turns into an argument at that point.
He could have just ignored my post, but that's not what happened.

Who are you to tell me to move on?

MYOB!
Normally I keep to myself on this forum, but mainly I wanted to make sure you knew you were seriously "doing it wrong" as the kids say these days. He tried to help you understand, and you totally missed it.
Warm Regards,
seanmcd

I expressed my opinion and asked him questions, is this forum not for this purpose?
This forum is not much good if we are not allowed to express opinions on technical matters.

I was not rude, but then I'm told:

"Please stop talking. You literally don't understand what you're talking about."

You think that was called for?

You on the other hand are not engaging in a technical conversation or helping the OP either.
You're not offering anything to this thread.

You are here to troll.

Back on topic...

ASRock E3C226D2I
ASUS P9D WS
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM-F-O

These will all support a Celeron G18xx and ECC RAM. I'm sure there are many others.

I picked up a ASrock Rack E3C224 a few weeks ago. It will also do what you want. I'm using a Xeon in it, but I was originally going to use a i3. A number of Celeron and Pentium CPUs are in their supported CPU list.

ASRock Rack > E3C224

Back on topic...

ASRock E3C226D2I
ASUS P9D WS
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM-F-O

These will all support a Celeron G18xx and ECC RAM. I'm sure there are many others.

Thanks. I ended up with the Asus P9D-MV and it's perfect. Came with the IPMI module also.

Back