12 Technologies On The Verge of Extinction

In terms of display technology, just like the 2000s killed off CRTs, maybe the 2010s will kill of plasmas. LCDs will (continue to) rule the (display) world.

well CRT's are still around, and even though plasma was supposed to kill off LCD I hope nothing kills off the plasma, not unless they get a better picture.

well CRT's are still around, and even though plasma was supposed to kill off LCD I hope nothing kills off the plasma, not unless they get a better picture.
CRTs are dead. Pretty much no one manufactures them anymore. Have you seen any CRT computer monitors or TVs sold at your local Best Buy the last time you went there?

LCD tech continues to improve and unless plasma can do the same (at a faster rate), I don't see (no pun intended) good things in their future.

In terms of display technology, just like the 2000s killed off CRTs, maybe the 2010s will kill of plasmas. LCDs will (continue to) rule the (display) world.

Plasma HDTV are superior to LCDs in most all respects except one. They are more expensive. That is the ONLY reason LCD are winning the in the market place.
I have NEVER seen a LCD that looked half as good as the Plasma for the same size/resolution.

It is similar to VHS vs Beta.
Beta was technically better in every respect. But it was expensive and belonged to SONY.
VHS (owned by JVC) was cheap, and licensed to cheapie manufactures like Sanyo and Emerson.

Plasma HDTV are superior to LCDs in most all respects except one. They are more expensive. That is the ONLY reason LCD are winning the in the market place.
I have NEVER seen a LCD that looked half as good as the Plasma for the same size/resolution.

Beta was technically better in every respect. But it was expensive and belonged to SONY.
VHS (owned by JVC) was cheap, and licensed to cheapie manufactures like Sanyo and Emerson.

LCDs are brighter. Psychologically I'm sure that helps. Same reason they always sell TVs in torch mode at stores - people choose the brighter, redder images.

Hard drives will be around for another few decades. List is all screwed up. Just a publicity stunt.

I agree CDs aren't going away, but you do realize the music isn't "on some online account" right? There are these things we call files, and they contain music. These files can be stored and saved/copied to multiple devices to backup. ;)

In fact I feel my music is much safer having it stored digitally. If I ever had something unfortunate happen (like a fire, tornado, etc) most/all of my music would still be safe somewhere.

I realize some people just like the feel of holding that physical media, the album artwork, etc. and that's totally cool. But you don't need to make up FUD about how music purchased online will suddenly vanish. As long as it's DRM free, there should be absolutely no difference from a CD (which are after all, just filled with audio files)

You do realise that a lot of people (myself included) don't like to buy these "files" online, because of the crappy quality, and would much rather buy a physical CD to rip it myself? I do that, and anyway, I was mainly talking about DVDs and the movie side, with all these online streaming services.

I love the survivor list.

Digital media players; a year or so ago I basically gave up on using an ipod or zune as my source for music. Just this year I started using my phone and couldn't be happier with on-the -go listening; with android + poweramp I can listen to flac files drag and drop. Sure the quality sucks compared to my dedicated listening setups but the ipod and zune weren't exactly at the top of their game sonically either.

Landline phone; are you kidding me? I haven't owned a landline phone since about 6 years ago.

cant wait for physical media to die. i currently own no physical media except my windows images. no console or computer games cuz i use steam, no music cuz i use itunes/pandora/whatever. no movies cuz i use netflix or redbox. i absolutely hate clutter and thats all physical media is. when i can put a dvd collection that takes up an entire bookshelf on one 3.5" hard drive, there is no reason at all for me to use dvds any more. in addition, i can search instead of browsing my whole collection, i can open it on any screen in the house without having to go get the case, pull out the cd, and walk back to my computer/dvd player/laptop. definitely the easiest prediction on the list.

I actually agree with a good amount of this list, apart from keys, eBook readers, and digital media players, for obvious reasons...

Anyway, I'm kinda praying that physical media doesn't die. The practicality and availability of downloadable media, and the fact that internet connections are getting faster, really aren't helping :( At the minute, it's okay; everything is still on CD. Which is great. However, 10 years down the line...

That said, the only reason for consumers to want them, in reality, is because of the higher quality. Some of us audiophiles need FLAC, damnit!

For back-ups though...CDs and DVDs are going to be around for a long time. A CD can't break down.

eBooks...they're specific, but their readability alone makes them sell. People love books. Simple!

And...PMPs won't die, but they will decrease in market share, of course due to smartphones.

Landline phone; are you kidding me? I haven't owned a landline phone since about 6 years ago.
I don't even have a regular house phone anymore. We decided to cut off our home phone services because the only calls we ever get on our home phone are from telemarketers and old aunts and uncles who live halfway around the world. Cell phones are the future; a phone on every body, no more, "Hi may I speak to so-and-so" or hearing "Hello, you've reached the Johnsons, we aren't home right now, so please leave your message after the beep".

For back-ups though...CDs and DVDs are going to be around for a long time. A CD can't break down..
If you're serious about backing up your data on cd/dvd then you should know that they do have shelf lives.

IE: CD's do break down.

@the rest of you, please (re)read the article until you understand what the author wrote. Apparently, some of you need to read slower...or out loud...or something

I still buy vinyl and CDs. I only have half a dozen singles that were purchased in the past 3 years via online store. Eventually i may move back to my hometown, which is lost in time. At which point I won't have access to online media. Besides, who doesn't like to get physical? I don't expect media players to go away. I have a music capable smart phone, but I still purchased a PMP a few months ago. eBooks are still relatively new so it may be too early to tell.

Talk about trimming the fat, the meat and gnawing on the bones.

Die, die, die, die, extinction! Next thing you know it will be armoredgeddon.

Group hug!

You do realise that a lot of people (myself included) don't like to buy these "files" online, because of the crappy quality, and would much rather buy a physical CD to rip it myself? I do that, and anyway, I was mainly talking about DVDs and the movie side, with all these online streaming services.

Yep FLACs and 320kbps mp3s are such poor quality, that in blind listening tests no one can ever tell the difference.

While I'm not going to make it a plasma vs. LCD debate, I will say, like you said, that the best tech doesn't necessarily win. Plasma is so far behind in terms of market share I don't see how they can catch up let alone survive outside of being a niche.

Considering whos supporting the plasma I can see them last a long time, people were saying doom and gloom when pioneer dropped them.

I'm not sure about LCD being brighter? but the reason they set everything to max in stores is due to the store lights being straight over head. Best Buy is good about blocking this light with banners but they still need to compete against the extreme lighting in these places.

Reading through the comments, I think that most of the tech that is "dieing" (except landlines, those I do see dieing out rapidly due to VOIP and widespread cell useage) it's not so much as "A will live and B will die, as A and B will both be avlaible at compedative pricing for consumers to choose"

electronic locks WILL drop in price and get more accurate/secure, but metal keys wont go anywhere
SSDs are already becomming an affordable solution for devices that dont require massive storage space (netbooks, tablets, phones, etc) but if you need huge space you will always turn to HDD

some people like having a shelf full of CDs/BDs, while others prefer to use that shelf for something else and have them all online. With the exception of games that include "feelies" (Tales of Monkey Island Deluxe Edition) I think a large portion of games will go this way (DVDs one can argue will include "extras" that the online edition may not) but I dont think either will go away.

ebook readers will merge with tablets. the Nook color is nothing more than an android tablet as it is.

MP3 players will merge with phones as cost drops. right now I still know lower-income families that buy $20-$50 MP3 players isntead of mp3-phones (not nessisarily iPhones but phones that can easily accept and play MP3s) But as prices come down and cellphones become more and more universal, this will happen.

Desktops: nada, nope, no way, no how. those are going to stay. I do think they will evolve (I suspect as prices fall there will be mroe all-in-one PCs and some areas will look to large-scale useage of projectors and MS Surface (or equivolent) but we will always have them. (the idea of having a "smart phone" with a projector and projection KB/motion tracking for a desktop is great (PC World circa 2002 iirc) but it breaks down when you cant easily upgrade the device or replace failed parts.

I dont see why so many people ahve their tails in a knot over Portable gaming on a phone. Add a bluetooth gamepad and it works fine! (of course the trick is getting a bluetooth gamepad to work with a phone, but in this theory, they will become as universal as BT mice/KBs)

Re: The cloud
The cloud is great for backups or sharing files but it's not gonna solve out problems untill there is universal access at instant-load speeds for 40gb BDs (because, lets face it, Windows 12 (or w/e is released a decade or less down the road) will be on BD and will require a good 100gb of HD space to install.)

all in all an amusing read. not an informational one, just an amusing one. lots of these "not so serious" articles lately.

Back