120.3=overkill?

n00btard

Gawd
Will be cooling eVGA 7800GT, NF4 northbridge and a Sandy 3700. Was considering 120.3, until I realised how %$@^ large it is. Is the triple rad overkill for a non-SLI, un-overclocked system, and am I just fine with a 120.1 BIP?

Thanks

a 120.1BIP miiight not be enough for your system. Choose the happy medium 120.2BIP (or the new GT stealth)

Overkill is good............ :D I'm running a 120.3 and a 120.2 in my system. And I'm only cooling a CPU and single GPU............ :eek:

Bio-Hazard said:
Overkill is good............ :D I'm running a 120.3 and a 120.2 in my system. And I'm only cooling a CPU and single GPU............ :eek:

That's overkill. In fact you may be hindering performance. Watercooling is an art. You need to ensure you do not hinder your waterflow too much.

The more rads the lower waterflow.. add a few restrictive blocks (like your Swiftech Storm.. which is one of the industries most restrictive blocks) and the added benefit of an extra large Radiator is lost.

There is a solution however, you can run pumps in parallel or in a daisy chain. Ensure the pumps are not working closely to each other (meaning ensure there is a good balance of restrictive components between each pump). The author of this thread is going to be using more then 2 blocks (Chipset, CPU and GPU) therefore I would suggest a 120.2 radiator (single pass preferable), a good CPU block (like the Apogee from Swiftech), a good GPU block (like the MCW60 from Swiftech) and a swiftech chipset block (compatible with the motherboard). I'd also suggest a swiftech MCP655 pump. As for the reservoir... buy at your discretion... something like a Criticool Waterplant would be more then enough though.

ElMoIsEviL said:
That's overkill. In fact you may be hindering performance. Watercooling is an art. You need to ensure you do not hinder your waterflow too much.

The more rads the lower waterflow.. add a few restrictive blocks (like you Swiftech Storm.. which is one of the industries most restrictive blocks) and the added benefit of an extra large Radiator is lost.

There is a solution however, you can run pumps in parallel or in a daisy chain. Ensure the pumps are not working closely to each other (meaning ensure there is a good balance of restrictive components between each pump).
Been there done that, tested it several times in several differant configs with numorous pumps and radiators and heater cores and fan combinations not to mention Storm,APOGEE, Polarflo and Danger Den CPU and GPU blocks. Been doing this for more than a day or 2 now........;) I've even ran it with 3xD5 pumps at one time, but that was really over kill. My rig works best the way it's setup now.............:)

You're right, it's an art. Certain pumps give off more heat, making a larger radiator needed, reducing flow, which is a cycle that keeps going on. Certain blocks and pumps work better than others, at the cost of flow restriction.

Buyer beware.

ElMoIsEviL said:
But probably not, unless the pump is fairly weak.

You can toy around with LHG's fairly buggy Approximator if you'd like. According to LHG, an HE120.2 is about 1/3 as restrictive as a Maze 3. His data on the Swiftech rads is somewhat different, however, putting them in the same league of restrictiveness as a Maze 3.

It's not necessary to place any restrictive components between pumps.

Pump will be an AquaXtreme 50Z 12VDC, which should overcome any restriction problems brought on by the AquaXtreme MP-05 SP LE with its high pressure head. The reason why I asked this radiator question was because I recently saw Mashie's "Hypersnail," which appeared to be cooling a S939 processor (couldn't tell CPU, but it was in an A8R32 mobo), two X1900s (or X1800?) and what appeared to be a PPU of some sort with a single-rad. So that made me question the popular "120.1 ain't enough for [a bunch of stuff in a loop]" philosphy.

Back