$1200 prebuilt desktop

CmaN3

Limp Gawd
Well I've got a friend who's looking for a new desktop, and wants a prebuilt. I've kept up on most hardware, but I dont keep up with who's generally considered the best company out there becuase I build my own and dont really care. He will mainly be using this for music, movies, and internet type stuff. I think $1200 is a little bit of overkill for this type of stuff, but it always gives him the option to game and such if he wants to and it should last him a while. I'm thinking something with a dual core, 2gb ram, lots of harddrive space(500gb would probably do it), a decent-ish video card(x1600/7600 at most). He doesnt need a monitor either. Who would yall suggest for this?

Ncix.com

they're great, also for that much cash you could probably get him a 320mb gts along with what you pointed out plus more.....

Velocity Micro Gamers Edge 1000

Upgrade to the 8600 GTS, 2gb of ram, and 400gb hard drive. that should be perfect. under 1200, 400gb for whatever he wants, 2gb for whatever gaming he wants to do, dual core CPU for encoding and watching videos and whatever else, killer support... all rolled into one convenient package :D

AVA Direct

you can order anything in the world and they are really good on their prices.
check out their site

www.avadirect.com

for the money i think its your best bet. believe me i had been checking out various companies for a couple of months now. i have built a PC on every company site i could think of. including everyone that hardocp has reviewed a system for. i have emailed and even called a few other companies. i finally decided on ava direct which I'm fixing to order from next month. i don't think you could go wrong with them..theres my 2 cents.

Velocity Micro Gamers Edge 1000

Upgrade to the 8600 GTS, 2gb of ram, and 400gb hard drive. that should be perfect. under 1200, 400gb for whatever he wants, 2gb for whatever gaming he wants to do, dual core CPU for encoding and watching videos and whatever else, killer support... all rolled into one convenient package :D

That does look like a very nice package there. The 8600 is definite overkill, but that is a killer deal. Looks to be the best bet right now.

Thanks for the advice guys.

You can customize much more with AVAdirect. I'd look at them as well before you pull the trigger.

Oh I plan on it, I was just short on time and he happened to post first :p I'm checking out AVA as I type this.

I don't know what your friend's timeline is or if you have a Circuit City nearby. But, I got an email newsletter from Velocity Micro stating they will be selling prebuilt desktop and notebooks there starting July 22. http://www.velocitymicro.com/circuit_city.php ... The press release.

They've been selling the Gamers Edge 1500 at Best Buy for ... how long now? can't remember.

I do have a Gamers Edge, got the 1000 as that was all I could afford. It is just about a year old and I still love it. Support has been, for me, excellent. Only one problem thus far. Called support, explained what the problem was (fan on video card getting hinky). Had a new card 2 days later AND me being so very non-technical, they sat on the phone with me, walked and talked me through installing the new one and held my hand when I go so frustrated over not being able to handle those tiny screws that hold the card in the slot (have carpal tunnel and arthritis).

I've heard AVA is very good, but personally? I am strongly biased toward VM.

Back