120GB and 250GB HDD

TheCzar

Limp Gawd
Fry's has a 120GB WD HDD for $49 and a 250GB HDD for $109 today! Get'em while they're hot!!

More importantly, which Frys? The ones in CA usually have different prices than the ones in TX, and so on.

I believe it's all Fry's (I'm in Texas though, so I guess there is a chance that the sales might be different). It's in the Saturday ad. They are WD Special Editions (the ones with 8MB cache), UATA 100, and they are BOTH AFTER $30 REBATES. So the prices are 79.99 for the 120GB and 139.99 for the 250. I picked up one of the 120s to supplement my other WD120 that I got a while back (RAID anyone? :D )

HOT...its a good thing im on vacation in cali right now. i mite pick up a few 250's

got one of the 250GB in my hot little hands now. it's retail, but only one year warrenty. oh well, it's going in my miniHTPC :D

Hi, I just joined up after stumbling across this BBS while searching for some info on PC hardware and deals. I've a couple question somewhat related to this thread.

1) I had a 60GB 2.5" (laptop) HD fail the other week and I'm looking for a replacement. Since I was coming close to using all 60GB I figure I better get an 80GB this time, but they appear to be costly for 80GBs. Anyway, I see several of the larger desktop sized HDs have some pretty good deals going on from time-to-time reported here, but have yet to see (not that I've been search here, but for a couple of weeks) such deals on the smaller 2.5" drives.

> Do good $ deals like the larger desktop kind ever come up for the smaller (laptop) drives?

2) My desktop system could do with more HD space (who's couldn't) and while I like some of the deals I'm not so willing to jump at a deal with MIRs involved after finding they're either a serious PITA or just a scam in general. I saw some mention that FRY's Electronics had some good prices going on for some HDs and went in yesterday even though it's a H of a drive away. I saw no deals that couldn't be had on-line so I left empty handed. In fact, many items I've seen selling on-line for $xxx were way more $...

> So, I'm wondering are these deals usually something you have to take in an ad with you before you get the prices people in the forums here are reporting? If so, where is it you get the ads from?

3) I'd like to avoid having to drive all the way to FRY's given the distance and would also rather order from an on-line store since buying from FRY's means additional $$ out the window in sales taxes. Both gas and sales tax would somewhat take away from $coring much of a good deal.

> Do of the on-line PC hardware stores have as good $ deals and/or will price match the FRY's deals?

Thanks for your insight... :)

all dallas fry's have the same deal.. i have the ad its retailed ata100 250 7200rpm etc.. etc... and also for u espn fans.. they are selling espn football 2k5 for 17.99$ for ps2/xbox goign to pick one up tommorow =)

I picked up the 250 gig a couple weeks ago. It was indeed $139 with $30 MIR so my out the door price after tax was around $150. Still pretty damn good. Drive is a Western Digital 2500JB retail - 7200RPM 8 meg cache. ATA133 though no PCI adapter card is included so you will need a mobo with preferably at least ATA100 support as well as support for drives >137GB. This was the Fry's in Downers Grove, IL...but again, this was a couple weeks ago so I dunno about stock now. At the time I was there, they had half a pallet (easily 100 drives or more). Fry's doesn't play that "3 drives per store" thing on sales like CompUSA and Best Buy :D

1-PC-NewB: I haven't seen any remarkable deals for laptop hard drives, and definitely not for ~50 cents per gig (this is of course for parallel ATA). Most places have sales making desktop hard drives about that much. If you don't want to deal with rebates, Maxtor is probably the way to go right now as all of the deals I've seen for the Maxtor drives are right around the 50 cent/gig mark without rebates (especially at Fry's). I doubt that any online store would match prices and I have yet to find one that does, but I guess it doesn't hurt to call up their customer service and ask (unless their CS number is long distance...). I've had good experiences with my rebates in the past, especially with Fry's and their hard drive rebates. If you want more hard drive space for your notebook, especially if you don't need all of your files unless you are at home, you might want to look into buying a desktop hard drive + an enclosure (thus making your drive external). This method is generally cheaper than buying an external hard drive outright. Hope that helps.

Back