120Hz LCD Info Thread

i was looking at purchasing 2 x Alienware OptXTM AW2310 how does the rate in the 120hz monitors the pc is only used for gaming and nothing else just would like some suggestion before i buy them this week

thanks

Can you still use the 120hz mode with these monitors if you have a dual monitor setup?

Want to give a quick update.

My Acer GD245HQ sucks and im about to shoot it. I have this weird microstuttering issue with it @ 120Hz. At first I thought it was my 480 SLI setup (since people were complaining about SLI microstuttering) I was going nuts ready to sell my cards. But then I tried different cards.... same issue.

I tried the Monitor @ 120Hz on different computers completley and same weird stuttering issue. Every 2 or 3 seconds like clockwork I would get a stutter like going from 120 Frames, to 0 Frames. WTF? so I searched the internet and found that alot of people with the GD245HQ are having this same issue.

The monitor works great @ 60Hz... but we all know thats not why I bought this thing.

Hopefully I can return it... if not oh well. Extra monitor. Either way, I am buying the Alienware and being done with it.

i was looking at purchasing 2 x Alienware OptXTM AW2310 how does the rate in the 120hz monitors the pc is only used for gaming and nothing else just would like some suggestion before i buy them this week

thanks

nah, alienware is overpriced.
The samsung panel ones (2233rz or vx2268wm) are okay and not expensive.

whats the difference between Acer GD235HZbid or Acer GD245HQ? aside from the resolution?

No difference, exactly the same including resolution.

Marketing. The screen is 23.6" corner-to-corner. Think I read something about Europe allows rounding up so you get 24 vs 23 in America so you end up with different names. Same product.

My Acer is still holding up, bought it back in January. Recently upgraded to 460 SLIs and no micro-stuttering. Been pretty happy with it. Keeping my fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

tired of waiting on benq so I just ordered the acer from amazon for 353.98 (overnight shipping for 4$)

Want to give a quick update.

My Acer GD245HQ sucks and im about to shoot it. I have this weird microstuttering issue with it @ 120Hz. At first I thought it was my 480 SLI setup (since people were complaining about SLI microstuttering) I was going nuts ready to sell my cards. But then I tried different cards.... same issue.

I tried the Monitor @ 120Hz on different computers completley and same weird stuttering issue. Every 2 or 3 seconds like clockwork I would get a stutter like going from 120 Frames, to 0 Frames. WTF? so I searched the internet and found that alot of people with the GD245HQ are having this same issue.

The monitor works great @ 60Hz... but we all know thats not why I bought this thing.

Hopefully I can return it... if not oh well. Extra monitor. Either way, I am buying the Alienware and being done with it.

As far as I know, all multi-card setups have the micro-stutter problem, most noticeable in FPSs. This is why I only use 1 card.

Try turning off SLI and using only one card - turn off all the eyecandy and turn down the resolution until you get over 120fps. Do you still notice stutter?

As far as I know, all multi-card setups have the micro-stutter problem, most noticeable in FPSs. This is why I only use 1 card.

Try turning off SLI and using only one card - turn off all the eyecandy and turn down the resolution until you get over 120fps. Do you still notice stutter?

Yes its the monitor. As I said, I attached it to multiple computers. Even my MacBook Pro in Windows.

@ 120Hz... the monitor skipps. Multiple people around the interwebs are having the same issue with the ACER.

Yes its the monitor. As I said, I attached it to multiple computers. Even my MacBook Pro in Windows.

@ 120Hz... the monitor skipps. Multiple people around the interwebs are having the same issue with the ACER.

Ok. The reason I asked was because you said the fps drops to 0. If it was the monitor, fps trackers would not register a drop in fps since the frames are still produced, only the monitor doesn't display them.

Return the monitor then, sorry to hear you got a lemon.

Ok. The reason I asked was because you said the fps drops to 0. If it was the monitor, fps trackers would not register a drop in fps since the frames are still produced, only the monitor doesn't display them.

Return the monitor then, sorry to hear you got a lemon.

The Actual FPS does not drop to 0. It just feels like the FPS goes from 120 to 0 and back to 120.

here are links of others having the same issue as I with the Acer.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=16766870
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=17042399

For you guys with the Acer micro stuttering problem, are you always using the same Duallink DVI cable?

havent had a chance to hook up my 3d glasses.. just got in a round of cod and all i can say is.. holy shit its soooo much smoother @ 120hz. Havent noticed any stutter yet either.

havent had a chance to hook up my 3d glasses.. just got in a round of cod and all i can say is.. holy shit its soooo much smoother @ 120hz. Havent noticed any stutter yet either.

I found I noticed a stutter on the 60hz display that I didn't even know was there before when I switched to the 120hz. Since its my notebook I take with my to LANs, I wish it was 120hz now.

The Actual FPS does not drop to 0. It just feels like the FPS goes from 120 to 0 and back to 120.

Is the stuttering affected by overdrive? Same thing with it on or off?

The Acer has a few 'quirks' (the service menu, overdrive brightness thing, etc). Stuttering isnt one I've seen except all the initial reports of it connected with early ATI drivers.

I played some games at a friends house this week on his 24'' 60hz. Ugh, no thanks, I'll never be using 60hz again. Going back is worse than I remember. As soon as he tried my 120 he got spoiled and wanted to go buy one. :)

Is the stuttering affected by overdrive? Same thing with it on or off?

I have no "Overdrive" so im unsure of what you are talking about.

It just allows me to go to 120Hz in Windows if connected via the DL-DVI cable.

When I set it back to 60Hz, its good in Windows but then when I game, it changes back to 120Hz and stutters.

I Fixed the issue for me by connecting the Monitor via HDMI and now im at 60Hz no stutter at all.

I will be replacing this monitor ASAP and getting the Alienware since I have only heard good things about it.

I'll vote for the Alienware AW2310.

I can vouch for this. There were several 3D setups at Blizzcon and the Alienware monitors looked the best. Starcraft 2 looked amazing btw, everything looked like tiny Warhammer figures running around. I wouldn't do multiplayer in 3D but single player would be fun.

Can't wait till they finally get 3D going with an IPS panel. :)

I've not seem any of the others, but I have the LG w2363d and it is nice. Although it would not be very good for eyenifity as the bottom is rounded and the monitors wouldn't be able to sit side by side without a gap. Still feels weird going from a 1920x1200 to this, guess it will just take time to adjust.

any 240hz lcd's coming out?

No, they reserve that marketing BS for televisions currently.

The 240Hz marketing term almost always refers to internal processing. The TV's do not support an input above 60Hz in the vast majority of cases, and the panels themselves are generally not even capable of fully resolving an image at 120Hz, let alone 240Hz. In fact, most, if not all, of those 240Hz TV's only output to their LCD panel at 60Hz.

if there are no true 240hz lcd coming out, then what is future after 120hz. a new technology to take over? higher the better right.

When you consider that the 2ms response times given by marketing departments are complete BS, and real world figures are in ths 8ms region, it's clear that current 120hz monitors can barely resolve 120fps. I wouldn't be surprised if a number (possibly majority) of frames have pixels that never fully reach their target voltage when spinning around in game at high speed, even with overdrive in place. If the response time was anywhere near 2ms, high speed motion clarity would be on a par with CRTs, but sadly it's not. Anything faster than 120hz will not happen with the soon to be EOL TFT technology.

Displayport 1.2 can technically drive 1080p@240hz (as it can do 4 x 1080p@60hz). This may be provided on future OLED displays, but even then how much benefit would it be? You'd have to game at bare minimum settings on a very fast PC to get the 240fps needed to play smoothly.

I question whether we really need 240Hz. Outside of a tiny, tiny, minority of hardcore, competitive, twitch shooter players I fail to see the need.
120Hz, I understand. No pull down for the accepted movie/tv standards, and smoother high speed play of games, as well as 3D for those that want it. I accept that people can notice a refresh past 60Hz, I notice myself til around 85 to 100Hz, but I find it hard to believe there would be very many people that could tell the difference between 120Hz and 240Hz on a LCD. While CRT's can go past 120Hz, few people outside the above mentioned minority ever ran them past 120Hz.

In short, to me, 240Hz falls under the same gimmicky marketing scheme as 10gigazillion : 1 contrast ratios. You end up having to reduce your brightness to near zero, thus reducing contrast ratios, to prevent from burning you retinas to ash.

Last edited:
I'd say, 240hz in the monitor itself. With half of them being black. That way we get rid of the sample-and-hold smearing, right? The CRTs phosphor "glow" for a while, so if a LCDs pixels go half-way to off (untwist) we might get sharper movements like a CRT.

GORANKAR: im pretty sure 120hz monitors are fast. Look at digitalversus' reviews, they measure frames blurred. And bit-tech I think measures each gradient twist time.

120Hz_LCD_vs_CRT_comparison.jpg

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how fast current OLED pixels are? Both in median switch times and worst case switch times.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how fast current OLED pixels are? Both in median switch times and worst case switch times.

Wikipedia says that OLED pixels are theoretically 100 times faster - but that assumes the fastest LCD pixels have a 1ms or less response time. We'll just have to see how that works out when OLED becomes available (in 5 years if you're optimistic).

any 240hz lcd's coming out?

No.

There are no monitor cables able to do that, to name just one serious reason why not.

This.

But one thing..... it has nothing to do with capability of the "cables". A data transfer method could be devised to allow for enough bandwidth for a 480 Hz 1920x1080 32bit display over a regular DVI cable if it was needed. Heck it's already been done for regular ethernet cable. It's the source and transmission standard that's the limiting factor. e.g., VGA, DVI, DVI-D, DP, etc. Cable specifications are stated by each of the standards then, of course.

No offense, it's just a little pet peeve, those kind of mis-statements are what leads to people thinking they need xxx quality cable to do yyy such as 3D vs. 2D HDMI cables (they're the same!)

Example: A friend of mine, let's just say he's a really smart guy, few years ago payed like $300 for a DVI cable to connect his receiver/player to his CRT HDTV. If he just understood the basic concepts of the display standards the cable types he coulda saved like $260. In his case he was transmitting a VGA analog signal over that $300 DVI cable, where he would have been better served with paying $40 for a good quality VGA cable. It it had been a DVI transmission (digital) over the DVI cable, he coulda just payed $10 for any random DVI cable and no difference. Classic case of perpetuated misinformation.

if there are no true 240hz lcd coming out, then what is future after 120hz. a new technology to take over? higher the better right.

...not necessarily... we hit a pretty hard wall of diminishing returns at 120Hz. I consider myself extremely sensitive to framerates relative to the average folk, I can just tell the difference between say 80 and 100 Hz/FPS. But the difference between 100 and 120 Hz/FPS I would be hard pressed to notice.

Sure that 240Hz display would be nice for the 1 in 10,000,000 people who might be able to notice the difference, but given such a market would be miniscule the display would need to sell for like $10,000 each to justify development, lol.

However, for 3D usage there still could be a place for 240Hz as 120Hz displays are limited to 60Hz of 3D content... a 240Hz display would bump that up to that "magical" 120Hz.

For LCD's it's just silly anyways, 240Hz would only be reasonable on perhaps Plasma or OLED. At 240Hz even the fastest LCD would just blend the frames into each other and individual frames would hardly be realized (if you were to say analyze the output with a high speed camera).

Back