120hz lcds?

nightanole

[H]ard|Gawd
Well in my quest to merge my pc with my tv, i was looking into 120hz lcds. 30fps gets devided evenly into 120hz, and so does 24fps. What i couldnt find an answer to was if i could run a computer at 120hz or what it would do with a computer input. AKA could i get a 120hz tv set, set my pc to 1920/1080 120hz, and have it work.

Other thoughts. 720p is 60hz, so i wonder how they encode 24fps. would it just double the refresh to 120hz?

If i played a 24fps avi on a standard dvi 60hz computer, would it pick it up and multiply by 5, or would it just double the 60hz signal.

I would really like it to just play dumb and accept a 120hz pc signal and have the pc do all the processing.

You had best find a true 120Hz LCD before deciding how to use it :)
They dont exist yet, those I have seen use a blanking state in between frames or create a psuedo frame from the previous and next frame (introduces a tiny lag).
They will not display at 120Hz from your PC, they still require a 60Hz signal.

I don't know why people are getting caught up in this. Do you really watch many movies at 24fps that have stuttering with 3:2 pulldown?

As far as I'm concerned, it's the most absurd selling point to come around in a long time for display technologies.

I don't know why people are getting caught up in this. Do you really watch many movies at 24fps that have stuttering with 3:2 pulldown?

As far as I'm concerned, it's the most absurd selling point to come around in a long time for display technologies.

Its not that they dont improve the picture, its the way they market it.
Its not true 120Hz because it can only cope with 60Hz input but the output is 120Hz with either a blank frame between frames or a mix of the preceding and next frame.
It wont look as good as true 120Hz though.

If they were to speed up the LCD response time (not the refresh rate), they would be able to do 120Hz but thats a way off.
Laser TV will be mainstream before they sort that out so the problem will be solved anyway.

They are now the popular feature on HDTVs. Any idea when computer monitors will have a 120hz feature?

They are now the popular feature on HDTVs. Any idea when computer monitors will have a 120hz feature?

When people are smart enough to realize that response times are now for the most part a marketing tool, and stupid enough to fall for the next one. (hint: frequency response)

When people are smart enough to realize that response times are now for the most part a marketing tool, and stupid enough to fall for the next one. (hint: frequency response)

Well, I would call this a marketing stunt myself, but I've seen the difference in smoothness and fluidity and it's pretty impressive. It would be great to have that smoothness in shooters.

Back