120hz monitor help with eyestrain

Weenis

I said WEENIS, not...
So I'm wanting subjective opinions if a 120hz monitor would help with shimmering.. Only way I can explain it is when your view in a game changes or scrolling on windows it seems like there's some ghosting/shimmering as things move across a screen. For some reason that bugs my eyes, it's not always really annoying but sometimes it causes some weird eye strain. Anyone have experience of 120hz displays solving this?

More like the jerkiness. like things don't look fluid and my eyes are tracking onto the object and retracking as it moves.. it feels like it takes some effort to watch somethings.. it really depends on the type of movement. It's most readily apparently in third person shooters or when watching a background kinda blur while turning in an FPS. The PWM stuff seems to make sense..

120hz helps a lot, as long as your gpu can maintain 80+fps - there will be far less "tearing, jerkiness, shimmering".
Blurring or ghosting is another thing and is also almost nonexistent on a 120hz screens.

The OP is describing motion blur and overshoot, both of which the HP zr30w has in abundance. It will be much less on any good TN and a few of the fast IPS screen. Try to avoid displays with excessive overdrive.

120hz is great but the cost is much higher than 60hz monitors. What about a 60hz screen with a fast response time of 2ms?

There are no true 2ms panels and it wouldn't make any difference anyway,

LCDs have 4 types of motion artifacts:

• PWM Trailing (causes motion trailing/after images)
  • Over-Drive Overshoot (causes inverse glow or black streaks)
  • Hold-Time (causes motion blur)
  • Slow Pixel Response (causes streaks/smear)

-: PWM Trailing can be fully avoided by either obtaining a PWM monitor that operates at very high frequency or a monitor that doesn't use PWM.

-: There are plenty of IPS and TN monitors that are free from over-drive overshoot. So it too can be avoided

-: There's no way to eliminate hole-time on LCDs without wasting processing power and bandwidth. As of today, no LCD is capable of maintaining their static resolution during motion.

-: As for pixel response, there are plenty of LCDs perfectly capable covering their entire grayscale range under 16ms and most IPS panels of today have very clean motion.

You can also max out brightness setting on monitor. That will remove PWM flicker on 99% of monitors. The rule is: the lower brightness, the more flicker.

Back