1280x800 4.5" IPS Display from Hitachi... I'll take two, please

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
It's about damned time:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/02/11/hitachi-to-offer-improved-smartphone-lcd-display/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/hitachis-4-5-inch-ips-display-has-1280-x-720-res-1-100-1-contr/

Been waiting for something like this... well, forever it seems. :) Even with the massive beautiful 4.3" screen on my beloved HD2 (which needs to be replaced and soon), I believe I could actually make use of a 1280x800 panel like that one Hitachi just introduced, quite frequently.

That's gonna be some wicked thing to see in action. :p

I'd rather have a lower resolution screen like the Galaxy S series that isn't washed out like the Evo and Droid. Hopefully Hitachi's screen addresses that as well.

Thats the rez of my old 15.4" laptop! Yikes. Laptop/Desktop tech needs to catch up!

I'd rather have a lower resolution screen like the Galaxy S series that isn't washed out like the Evo and Droid. Hopefully Hitachi's screen addresses that as well.

Try read this page on a galaxy phone,
Text looks bad, on the droid x its sharp, crisp and clear thanks to its higher resolution screen.

Text looks bad, on the droid x its sharp, crisp and clear thanks to its higher resolution screen.

Droid X is 854x480 instead of Galaxy's 800x480. It's merely an extra notification bar width.

Also, the vast majority of the internet would disagree with you.

Droid X is 854x480 instead of Galaxy's 800x480. It's merely an extra notification bar width.

Also, the vast majority of the internet would disagree with you.

I wouldn't. The super amoled screens on the galaxy s phones are shocking in their vibrancy when first seen. But they just dont display text all that well. Its a side affect of the PenTile Matrix in the display. Id rather have an IPS on a phone any day, at least until they iron out the current kinks in super amoled.

The extra 54 pixels do make a difference. It's what sold me on the Droid X, I compared both the fasinate and the dx at the Verizon store for quite awhile, and the difference is clear especially like on forums where you want the text to be nice and clear. The color on the Samsung's super amoled screen is something that can't be beat though. It just has incredible color.

Seems great for phones. I like the high res screens. Droid 2 here, 854x480 looks fantastic on 3.7". For the most part, I can browse the non-mobile version of Hardforum and can read the text without zooming in. I like to zoom in to reduce eyestrain, but it's nice to know that it's readable. 4.5" 1280x800 on my summer 2012 upgrade would be pretty slick.

IPS is an old proven technology that is better for reading and design, and it's near it's end of life as improvements are small and slow.

Super AMOLED Plus is just a third generation AMOLED screen, that's improving at a quick pace. It doesn't even really save more power over led as of yet. But because of its brightness, it has brilliant colors making things easier to view, but hard on the eyes at the same time.

I'm taking a wild guess that it will take a few more generations of amoled technology before it can overtake ips panels. But the next future display technology is plasmonic nanophotonics.

Last edited:

Samsung uses some weird pixel positioning that isn't a standard grid thats why text looks funky on it. I would take a little bit of washed out color for clear looking text. That's what sold me on the droid x.

that looks like it will be awesome! I use my DX as a pocket netbook now, slightly bigger screen and better res would always be welcome!

Reading this on my fascinate right now and its as clear as could be. Comparing it to a iphone 3Gs right now.

I'm reading and replying on a Galaxy phone right now, everything looks fine. The best part is that the black border around this website us actually black. That's something you don't get on a Droid

I'd love to this a resolution like this but in a 4 inch screen. 4.5 is WAY to big.

Reading this on my Droid Eris running NonSensikal 15.2. Despite the low res, I still love this phone's screen.

Droid has the best color representation of any cell phone (in terms of accuracy. Washed out is an opinion. )

The evo's is just slow.

And don't try the Desire HD, it's the same :(

AMOLED is gross. Hate mine. Sure it's bright, but god damn the color representation sucks, and pen tile can go blow me.

Care to elaborate on my Evo's awesome looking screen? I don't spend my whole day looking at with another phone next to it... Mabye YOU do.. ?:D

Care to elaborate on my Evo's awesome looking screen? I don't spend my whole day looking at with another phone next to it... Mabye YOU do.. ?:D

Lets see...

Bad response time: Check.
Backlight linearity: Crap
Colors: Decent, but not great
Power draw: Definitely epic.

Don't worry, amoled is worse.

The iPhone 4 would have the best display if the color profile weren't so awful. Low response time, sharp, highest resolution...

Until then Canadian/European Motorola milestone wins.

Lets see...

Bad response time: Check.
Backlight linearity: Crap
Colors: Decent, but not great
Power draw: Definitely epic.

Don't worry, amoled is worse.

The iPhone 4 would have the best display if the color profile weren't so awful. Low response time, sharp, highest resolution...

Until then Canadian/European Motorola milestone wins.

Funny.. had my Evo since release day and its been great. CM7 loaded up and I couldn't ask for anything more. Once again.. I don't use my phone with some other phone next to it all day. This is the only way you would notice such things so WTF is the point on harping on them.

Care to elaborate on my Evo's awesome looking screen?D
I already did. The Evo's screen is washed out and colorless with a horrific contrast ratio. There is nothing awesome about the screen aside from its size.

Funny.. had my Evo since release day and its been great. CM7 loaded up and I couldn't ask for anything more. Once again.. I don't use my phone with some other phone next to it all day. This is the only way you would notice such things so WTF is the point on harping on them.

I never said it was a bad phone, aside from the anemic video chip qualcomm built in to the first gen snap dragons, it's awesome.

Oh, and the screen.

Back