12GB for Gaming?

Svengali

Limp Gawd
Would 6GB or even 12GB actually be used in gaming on a Win 7 64 bit system? Or would most of that memory go to waste?

Thanks!

waste. 4gb should be plenty less your video card has alotta dedicated memory

8 gigs and up is for sure a waste. I had the evga 780i with a c2q qx9650 and got 8 gigs of ram. Never use above 60% at max with google earth open, two browsers (firefox and chrome with multiple tabs) L4D running. I never was able to get close to max. So now my new x58 build I have 6 gigs and still a waste. But heck 6 gigs is needed for 3 channel. Still don't use over 50%.
I suggest 4 gigs for Core 2 Family and 6 gigs for X58.

The only machine that I use 8 gigs is my Server which host 3 source dedicated game servers, FTP, DHCP and HTTP. This machine has a Xeon E3110 with windows Server 2008 R2 x64. I also have Hyper V means I got a virtual OS running on it. This is an example where you will need 8 or more gigs. But for gaming rig, 4 or 6 gigs are a sweet spot with faster ram speeds.

for just games, 4G is enough

now the question is will you have other things running?

i multi task like a mofo and even with 8G of ram i think i have only gone over 5G once, and that is with photoshop open and VM's running.

I have a really hard time filling up 8gb of ram, although I must say that a lot of times while gmaing and multitasking I find myself using more than 55-60% (though I am not sure if that means of 6.3 or 8gbs)

I love having 8gb when dealing with large files in PS, and it is great to have extra for a ramdisk.

Although when I got my 8gb of g.skill 1000 (ddr2) it was only $70

∞Velocitymaster∞;1035102630 said:
Case: Thermaltake Full Tower VA8003 Board: EVGA X58 E758
CPU I7 920 Batch 3938A248 D0; @ 3.8ghz (21X181) bios vcore 1.356v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12 SE2 East to West position with one Push fan in front. Ram: Corsair 6GB DDR3 1806mhz TR3X6G1866C9DF 8-8-8-24 1t Video Card: 2X Evga GTX280 SLI, Sound card: Creative X-fi Xtremegamer, the onboard audio disable in the bios,

That is a loootttttt of extra info in your sig :p

haha for sure

It is why i went with 8G as well, i knew i would likely use more then 4G at some point but not likely 8G, most i have ever done i think was about 7G when i had about 3 VM's running and gaming.

I suppose you could use half of that 12gigs to make yourself a ramdisk and install a game there. Other than that, well, most times i find myself using a ton of ram is when im doing something stupid and inefficient with SQL development or rendering huge chunks of video. gaming actually doesn't use all that much ram in comparison to other tasks.

games rarely use more than 4gb. only time i find myself in need of excessive ram is doing raw file editing, bunch filters in PS and video editing in after effects... gaming and office programs... nay.

games,

no need for more than 4gb

if you do say,

autocad Inventor or 3d modeling with lots of parts. 12 GB will be chewed up in not time flat.

For games released so far in a single-task situation, there is no point in going beyond 3GB. They were not able to use more than 2GB on most systems, so they were not designed to benefit from more than 2GB of memory - with 1GB left over for the system, HDD cache, etc.

The same generally held true for apps, but apps that did memory-intensive things usually relied on a scratch disk or cache - which you could mount on a RAMdisk for a 10^3 speed improvement. This is changing fast for professional apps which tend to be updated annually.

2, 4, 6 years down the line... I expect 8GB & even 12GB to become useful, but we'll likely center on some type of intermediate optimizations based on SSD speeds as well.

You can use the ram drive for network usage.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it ;)

I really like having 8GB for multitasking.

Superfetch coupled with the fact that I go over 4GB sometimes means that I would want at least 6GB. Having 8GB is nice though (also, considering I got these OCZ reapers DDR21066 for $30 after rebate for each 4GB set...so a net total of $60).

Back