$135,000 Blu-ray Player

holy crap for that price you could just by a vibration isolation table like they use with optics and lasers and put a buy a lg bd390 on it.

for that kinda of money you could use the rest to build a THX certified custom theater with maybe a 2k or 4k projector.

they should have pitched this to apple to use as their blu-ray drive because otherwise not many people are going to spring for this.

$135,000 bluray player and they put a cheap ass readout screen on it.
FacePalm.gif

From the article, the features that you don't find in normal Blu-Ray players are:

1. precision spring-loaded legs
To prevent them from skipping? Do Blu-Ray players ever skip?

2. a completely isolated power supply
Isolated from what?

3. Goldmund Magnetic Damping
What does magnetics have to do with an optical reader?

Since they're digital, how does a $135,000 Blu-Ray player reproduce sound or video better than a $135 Blu-Ray player?

But the decoder chip is still only $5.99 per 1000 units. So if their only going to build 50 then ya I can see the price go to $135,000.:D

From the article, the features that you don't find in normal Blu-Ray players are:

Isolated from what?

Since they're digital, how does a $135,000 Blu-Ray player reproduce sound or video better than a $135 Blu-Ray player?

This all goes back to the turntable era. I still use mine, can't beat albums.

Isolated from what?

Isolated from fucking reality! :p

Well, if you ever wanted to not have your movie be interrupted during an earthquake then this is the drive for you.

Well, if you ever wanted to not have your movie be interrupted during an earthquake then this is the drive for you.

I didn't see "immune to power outages" on the feature list. This thing should come with its own fusion reactor, though.

Shit, I read all posts except the OP. Oh well, in after desk references.

Alright, I know about the 10k desk but never got to see the original thread. Anybody have archives I can look at so I can see this goddamn desk?

same old story :rolleyes:
what's the difference between an Armani suit and a JCPenney suit?
and i'm not talking about the price

I can kind of understand expensive speakers, but this is a bit crazy. Ok, a BYTE crazy.

The people who buy this stuff need to have their money forcibly taken away and donated to charity. They clearly don't need it.

Isolated from what?

If I were you I'd take a course in Electromagnetic Compatibility. Or EMC. Which all the requisites involved.

If you need shock protection like that to keep a Blue-Ray player smooth then what hope does everyone else have. It's like the designer had a traumatic experience with a first generation cd player skipping so he never purchased another cd player because that first one cost him $6000.

Isolated from what?

DVD players are also digital and I can certainly see and hear the difference between my $1200 DVD-player and a $50 DVD player. Just because it's digital doesn't mean everything is the same, that's like saying a 133mhz Pentium is as good as a Core i7 because they are both digital.

However there is also a law of diminishing returns so $135,000 is probably not going to be much better than a player for $10,000.

Just because it's digital doesn't mean everything is the same, that's like saying a 133mhz Pentium is as good as a Core i7 because they are both digital.

If you all you did was play Doom 1, then yes they would be the same. Consider source material.

same old story :rolleyes:
what's the difference between an Armani suit and a JCPenney suit?
and i'm not talking about the price

The difference? Well the Armani is made by small children in Malaysia and the JC Penny is made by small children in Mexico. :p

Gentlemen,
I have just purchased all 50 of these units. My house will be lifted and these "Blu-ray Players" will be systematically positioned to hold the foundation of my house away from the ground. Their advanced isolation and sturdy construction will give my home the ability to withstand the inevitable destructive earthquake that will rock the west coast. As well as protect my home from magnetic radiation from a nuclear fallout or other catastrophe that is expected to devastate the world late 2012.

Farewell, and good luck to you all.

Gentlemen,
I have just purchased all 50 of these units. My house will be lifted and these "Blu-ray Players" will be systematically positioned to hold the foundation of my house away from the ground. Their advanced isolation and sturdy construction will give my home the ability to withstand the inevitable destructive earthquake that will rock the west coast. As well as protect my home from magnetic radiation from a nuclear fallout or other catastrophe that is expected to devastate the world late 2012.

Farewell, and good luck to you all.

:)

Damn - that was some funny sh*t!

This is old news. I saw it a few days ago on CNET.

You forgot to mention it goes well w/ the $1 million speakers, too. :cool:

I knew as soon as I saw the thread title I said "Goldmund :roll" to myself. Sure enough.

they should have pitched this to apple to use as their blu-ray drive because otherwise not many people are going to spring for this.

LMAO, and only apple would have been able to pull off sales for a $135k blu-ray player that does nothing more than, well..... um, o yah play blu-rays

Back