1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

My system went down yesterday.....started out the morning and wouldn't wake from sleep and when turning it of and trying to turn it on it would power the system for about 4 seconds with fans spinning up and lights coming on and then shut off after about 4 seconds.

Had me thinking did i kill the motherboard, cpu or power supply? had me stumped for a while, actually most of the day. And what was the fix? A proper reset of the cmos and redoing the bios settings. before that the only way i could get it to boot was to hold the power button for like 10 seconds and it would make me go into bios saying overclock failed. Even putting it all back to stock settings it wouldn't work. I thought for sure my cpu was dead but i had to be sure.

Glad i kept on troubleshooting and did the cmos reset cause it is as good as new now. Moral to the story, its working great now and i think my days of shooting for higher clocks are behind me now....Rather have stability and reliability at 4.2 then to keep shooting for max clocks...I can't complain this system has far out done it self in longevity and reliability and it starts loosing value if i have to replace burned out or glitched parts.
Glad you're fully functional again prime.
I too spent a couple weeks dialing in the OC to its current maxim. Once you get there its time to rest on your laurels; I now haven't been in my BIOS for weeks. Set it and forget it.

Board member The Cobra here hooked it up with a Gigabyte X58-UD3R for a great price so I finally got my free 980x going. I know this isn't the greatest X58 board but it runs.

I have HT off and the multiplier bumped by one. I have C1/3/6 etc all enabled and EIST, but the CPU won't idle. It sticks at either 3,300 or 3,420mhz all the time.

Is this normal when overclocking even with the multiplier?

edit - Got it, just had to set Windows to power saver

Last edited:
Having mixed results on my OC'd X5675. I can get 4.6 without breaking a sweat, but getting aida64/linx/prime stable is another thing entirely. Im thinking the culprit is my ram and/or voltages. I have read mixed feelings about what my uncore should be set at. 1.5, 1.875, 2.0.

If you have any suggestions on where a good place to start for my setup would be, please let me know.

Currently im running below settings and having trouble passing stability tests, either get a system freeze or BSODS randomly after a few minutes of AIDA64 (Freeze), LINX (BSOD) or P95 (BSOD)

Xeon X5675
2 x 12 GIG kits pf PX7312G2000ELK 9-11-9-27 @1.65V PC3-16000 (2000MHz) for 6 sticks total
MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Creative ZXR Pro sound card w/sister card
Sandisk Extreme Gen 1 240gb SSD

Multi: 25
BCLK: 184
PCIE: 100
DRAM 1844 mHz
UCLK: 3688
QPI link data rate: Auto

DRAM Timing Control:

Timings: 9/11/9/27/2T

EPU II Phase Control: Full Phase
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude; 800mV
Extreme OV: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.35
CPU PLL: 1.88
QPI/DRAM Core voltage: 1.45
IOH Voltage: 1.3
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: 1.2
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM BUS voltage:1.65,

Your QPI/DRAM voltage is in the death zone. Reduce to 1.35v or suffer a lost chip.
Your IOH/ICH voltage is extremely high. Even with SLI you should not need more than 1.2v. Without SLI you shouldn't need to increase it at all.
Test your memory separately when the cpu is at stock speeds to verify it can run at that speed.
Test with 1.5UCLK until you find stable CPU clock, then increase UCLK accordingly.

I been running at 4.25Ghz without turbo and scaling back on the voltage as I am at 1.29v now and I will drop it another bump in a day or so.

hey zoson....when you get your new build together maybe you can give us a detailed review of what kind of gains you get in various apps, and games....sort or a before and after......i think a few of us would be quite interested......obviously video encoding will be off the charts but i kinda wonder how much gains you get in certain games as well
Maybe run some fraps benchmarks in bf4 or what ever and some real world apps ( like bd_rebuilder or what ever kind of stuff you use)......if you find the time....thanks bud...cause really i doubt well ever see direct comparisons from the big review sites and it would be nice to know what apps and or games really have huge gains

pardon the stupid question but I have a supermicro dual 1366 board with no overclocking options in the BIOS, I have tried SetFSB with the proper clockgen settings and I can't for the life of me pass 136Mhz FSB, just locks up immediately... are there any other options or am I SOL??

I was reading a review over at guru 3D on the 970/980GTX and notice the test setup used a 4960X clocked at 4.6Ghz and it scored 15550 in the cpu part of Firestrike .. then I read there review of the 4960X and it said...

Amongst the bigger competitors for Ivy Bridge-E, believe it or not still is is the aging X58 platform released in 2008, pop a nice six-core Core i7 980X/990X on there and the raw performance is still competitive. In retrospect as such one could say that X58 / Core i7 980X (Gulftown) have been products that might have been a little too good. After Gulftown came the six-core Sandy Bridge-E processors like the Core i7 3960X, roughly offering equal performance to that of Gulftown but offering much better overclock potential.

The 4960X is a 22nm and it makes me wonder why Intel left socket 1366 as I got a Firestrike score of 14880 for cpu at 4.35Ghz with the Xeon X5660 and it's a 32nm cpu and I would think at 4.6Ghz it would score about the same as the 4960X.. so are we really giving up much at all staying with X58?

pardon the stupid question but I have a supermicro dual 1366 board with no overclocking options in the BIOS, I have tried SetFSB with the proper clockgen settings and I can't for the life of me pass 136Mhz FSB, just locks up immediately... are there any other options or am I SOL??

if your board is stable with out even overclocking with a hexa core your still good to go...yea the overclock is nice be not really needed tbh...even at stock clocks these chips hold there own very well in games and apps......if it really bugs yea you can order a faster chip or keep a look out for a better motherboard....but if money is tight don't sweat it......you still have a very nice setup, and if nothing else using less power in the long run:D ...I have ran bf4 at stock clocks even with a 5639 and it handled it with ease. Keep your chin up, cause even at stock clocks these chips kick ass...and thats no bullshit...some people make the mistake buying much newer state of the art dual cores and even while overclocked our chips run circles around them even at stock clocks....this is a fact.......work on getting you setup 100% stable and don't worry about the rest because this generation of chip is the longest most powerful advancement ever made in the history of cpus and thats why there's so many of us here enjoying the biggest bang for buck ever created....even with the brand new cpus comming out most of us are going to wait for skylake...and why because its just plain sensible considering the minimal investment and bang for buck

Last edited:
Just wanted to say hello, and give my specs. I'm quite happy with my X58, and probably won't be upgrading anytime soon. :)

Asus Rampage III Gene
Custom BIOS with updated OROMs from ZioGTS @ Bios-Mods
Xeon X5675, no overclock yet
6x8GB DDR3 1600 ECC RDIMM
Crucial C300 64GB - system disk (just ordered a Samsung 850 Pro 128GB upgrade)
4x750GB Seagate Momentus XT in RAID 0 - Program/Storage Array
2x Asus HD 6950s unlocked to 6970s in Crossfire

Just wanted to say hello, and give my specs. I'm quite happy with my X58, and probably won't be upgrading anytime soon. :)

Asus Rampage III Gene
Custom BIOS with updated OROMs from ZioGTS @ Bios-Mods
Xeon X5675, no overclock yet
6x8GB DDR3 1600 ECC RDIMM
Crucial C300 64GB - system disk (just ordered a Samsung 850 Pro 128GB upgrade)
4x750GB Seagate Momentus XT in RAID 0 - Program/Storage Array
2x Asus HD 6950s unlocked to 6970s in Crossfire

thats one heck of a set up.......4,2 is 100% easy overclock with no risk to damage to cpu at all......above that its possible but its a lot of luck and perfect bios settings......enjoy your awesome rig while we wait for sky lake....and welcome to the elite club....my self or more likely zoson can give you the perfect bios settings with zero risk

if your board is stable with out even overclocking with a hexa core your still good to go...yea the overclock is nice be not really needed tbh...even at stock clocks these chips hold there own very well in games and apps......if it really bugs yea you can order a faster chip or keep a look out for a better motherboard....but if money is tight don't sweat it......you still have a very nice setup, and if nothing else using less power in the long run:D ...I have ran bf4 at stock clocks even with a 5639 and it handled it with ease. Keep your chin up, cause even at stock clocks these chips kick ass...and thats no bullshit...some people make the mistake buying much newer state of the art dual cores and even while overclocked our chips run circles around them even at stock clocks....this is a fact.......work on getting you setup 100% stable and don't worry about the rest because this generation of chip is the longest most powerful advancement ever made in the history of cpus and thats why there's so many of us here enjoying the biggest bang for buck ever created....even with the brand new cpus comming out most of us are going to wait for skylake...and why because its just plain sensible considering the minimal investment and bang for buck

no no the machine is just fine, but that doesn't mean it should not be overclocked! :D

I have a pair of X5570s tried lowering the multiplier to 12 (1.6GHz) and then bridging the FSB_A and FSB_B pins on the clock generator on the mobo which should have made the FSB 166 to see if it would post at 2ghz and then move the multiplier up slowly, it didn't post :(

so removed the solder (post again) and will continue to study this chip 932S421 and try and figure out how I can get it to raise the FSB... the nice thing is it generates all the clocks separately so if I can figure out how to raise the CPU clock it won't affect USB/PCIe/etc

no no the machine is just fine, but that doesn't mean it should not be overclocked! :D

I have a pair of X5570s tried lowering the multiplier to 12 (1.6GHz) and then bridging the FSB_A and FSB_B pins on the clock generator on the mobo which should have made the FSB 166 to see if it would post at 2ghz and then move the multiplier up slowly, it didn't post :(

so removed the solder (post again) and will continue to study this chip 932S421 and try and figure out how I can get it to raise the FSB... the nice thing is it generates all the clocks separately so if I can figure out how to raise the CPU clock it won't affect USB/PCIe/etc

I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't be overclocked....was just saying don't let it get to you....one of the main factors in this chip set is minimal investment...even at stock clocks you blow the door off 96% of cpus out there...well do our best to help you get some overclock but it might not be possible with certain boards...be proud of what you have either way....and best of luck...these chips are the bomb for the cost:D Good luck and happy overclocking:)

This weekend I decided to look into a screen overlay to see what my CPU/mem was at while gaming, to see if I was limited at all at the moment (debating hex upgrade, more memory). I had a couple things running in the background (Steam browser, etc), and was hitting 97% mem usage (of 6GB) in Divinity. Tonight I was sitting at 70% in Divinity, and it would climb if I started surfing in the Steam browser. I just ordered a 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance low-profile kit to clear my Silver Arrow, as all of my reading showed negligible benefit to triple channel and 16GB was about the same price as 12GB (which were all too tall anyhow).

So now I'm more committed to this X58 machine that's served me well since 2009/2010. Considering that my board is effectively locked out of turbo multipliers for overclocking, I'm debating between the X5660 and X5670. They'd both do 21x200 with ease (my target), but for only $20 more is there any reason at all to get the X5670? Shipping is more to me in Canada, so the X5660 would be $154usd at my door and the X5670 would be $173usd at my door. I'm leaning towards the X5660 as I just spent $200 on memory, but if I'll be missing out for the sake of $20 I'd like to know. Searching here/elsewhere didn't come up with anything to my eyes, but you guys know them better! Are there any US sellers in particular to stay away from on eBay?

Thanks!

thats one heck of a set up.......4,2 is 100% easy overclock with no risk to damage to cpu at all......above that its possible but its a lot of luck and perfect bios settings......enjoy your awesome rig while we wait for sky lake....and welcome to the elite club....my self or more likely zoson can give you the perfect bios settings with zero risk

Thanks! :) Oh yeah, and all of that is crammed into this:
img1236u.jpg

My ongoing build thread:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?267202-MegaMini-v2-LAN-PC-build

Well I had an old ROG Rampage III with a 920 on the mobo. It was one of my old backups that had a lot of programs and games on it. So I tried a 5660 xeon and wow i'm running my cpu at 4209 ghz and 1706 ghz on memory and the highest temps are 44deg cent. can't complain it kicks as*** Nice revamp to an old socket now it runs like my 4960 cpu. Thanks for this kick as**** post. This was fun

Well I had an old ROG Rampage III with a 920 on the mobo. It was one of my old backups that had a lot of programs and games on it. So I tried a 5660 xeon and wow i'm running my cpu at 4209 ghz and 1706 ghz on memory and the highest temps are 44deg cent. can't complain it kicks as*** Nice revamp to an old socket now it runs like my 4960 cpu. Thanks for this kick as**** post. This was fun

44C what?.. Tcase i guess.. hardly doubt any core will be at that temp under load.. or idle. :p

This weekend I decided to look into a screen overlay to see what my CPU/mem was at while gaming, to see if I was limited at all at the moment (debating hex upgrade, more memory). I had a couple things running in the background (Steam browser, etc), and was hitting 97% mem usage (of 6GB) in Divinity. Tonight I was sitting at 70% in Divinity, and it would climb if I started surfing in the Steam browser. I just ordered a 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance low-profile kit to clear my Silver Arrow, as all of my reading showed negligible benefit to triple channel and 16GB was about the same price as 12GB (which were all too tall anyhow).

So now I'm more committed to this X58 machine that's served me well since 2009/2010. Considering that my board is effectively locked out of turbo multipliers for overclocking, I'm debating between the X5660 and X5670. They'd both do 21x200 with ease (my target), but for only $20 more is there any reason at all to get the X5670? Shipping is more to me in Canada, so the X5660 would be $154usd at my door and the X5670 would be $173usd at my door. I'm leaning towards the X5660 as I just spent $200 on memory, but if I'll be missing out for the sake of $20 I'd like to know. Searching here/elsewhere didn't come up with anything to my eyes, but you guys know them better! Are there any US sellers in particular to stay away from on eBay?

Thanks!

If you're bringing price into the equation the L5639 still goes for $60~$70 on eBay. You gotta ask yourself if double the price is worth the extra 200~400mhz when the 5639 is fully capable of doing 4ghz.

I'm sure it's capable, just not with my P6T based motherboard (can't lock in non-turbo multipliers, I'd be stuck with 16x).

I know overclocking is a crapshoot, I just wasn't sure if the X5670's have a tendency to require lower voltages for 4.2 or if there's some multiplier bug I don't know about.

I'm sure it's capable, just not with my P6T based motherboard (can't lock in non-turbo multipliers, I'd be stuck with 16x).

I know overclocking is a crapshoot, I just wasn't sure if the X5670's have a tendency to require lower voltages for 4.2 or if there's some multiplier bug I don't know about.

you can get 4200 about as safe and sable as stock setting.....on my asus it requires unsafe voltages for 4.4-4.6......not that it doesn't work...it works great.....and when i going for highest bench scores i use them but honestly 4.2 is so easy and problem free i just stay with it. What chip did you order? if you got the 5670 your good to go! (regarding the multis for this board is 24/25 turbo ( which i don't use anyway) cant choose 23 but can choose 21 or 20....so im not sure where your getting 16x from?

I have found 22x with a bclk off 191 perfect for 4200mhz keeping all the voltages in the safe levels and passes any stress test thrown at it.......i don't personally go for unstable overclocks

Last edited:
I was talking about the L5639 suggestion for the 16x multiplier.

I know this board can do 200 bclk easy, it's been doing it for 4 years now. I just wasn't sure about what Zoson said here about even/odd multipliers.

Fuggit, I just bought an X5670 from garlandcomputers on ebay. Will figure out multis when it arrives in 1-2 weeks. :D

Hi guys

I have an Asus P6T deluxe v2 on special BIOS 0006 and I have been running an 920 at 4.2ghz for around 5 years

I have just got a x5670 today and did a BIOS reset and installed the CPU but I can't get it to put at all.. Not even a beep

But put the 920 back in and it powers up OK

Any ideas?

And that's one old SIG!

0006 probably doesn't have microcode to support x5670.

You must update your motherboard BIOS before installing the Xeon since it's not being recognized now. Follow the link http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T_Deluxe_V2/HelpDesk_Download/ and download the latest BIOS, upload it onto a USB drive, fire up your PC with your i7 920 installed, enter BIOS, find and launch EZflash tool and select the new BIOS file on your USB drive to start flashing. After you've flashed the BIOS install the Xeon.

Ok my x5670 has an idle temp of core 0 35 deg c, core 1 29 deg c. core 2 30 deg c, core 3 32 deg c, core 4 36 deg c, core 5 34 deg c. the highest deg so far is 45 deg c. That is on water as all of my computers are. 175 x 24 and memory is running at 877 x 2 = 1754

I'm happy with that right now. All I have to say is thanks guys for reviving an old horse.

Thanks for the heads up guys

Updated to the latest official P6T Deluxe Bios and its posting

From years of tests with my motherboard on the i7 920 and now the x5670 I know its got a pretty hard wall at anything over 200 Bclk and even going over 201 will make it unstable

But its been running for 5 years at 200 Bclk fine

So anyway back to this new CPU

I have had it load into windows at 4.8ghz "24 multi 1.4 volts" but then when stress testing it will clock down to a 22 multi, this is on water cooling so temps are good

At the moment I have set the multi to 22, and 200 Bclk resulting in 4.4ghz at 1.31 volts with temps at 70c on full load

Now doing a little research on this I have found that flashing the P6T WS pro bios over to the P6T deluxe v2 will let you change TDP/TDC power limit to be disabled "missing from the standard bios" and from what I can find will let me set the Bclk to 190/200 on a 24 multi with no Down clock to 22 multi when on full load

Do we know if anyone on here has tried this?

I have cross flashed before "that's how I was on 0006 and had to cross flash back to stock last night so I have the right version of AFUDOS to do this :)

Last edited:
Managed to get a P6T WS pro bios chip so as soon as it turns up going to have a play :)

What program are people using to test stability with these? I replaced my L5639 with an X5650 and I'm having a little trouble dialing in my overclock. I'm using prime95 and it seems after about five hours, coretemp will crash but prime95 will keep going, which doesn't seem like that's stable enough for me.

Also my Asus P6X58-E-WS seems to have a nasty bclk hole from about ~180-199. Don't recall encountering this problem with my L5639. Any ideas how to fix this if at all possible? Right now I'm running 20x209 bclk. I'd love to be able to up the multiplier and lower my bclk.

What program are people using to test stability with these? I replaced my L5639 with an X5650 and I'm having a little trouble dialing in my overclock. I'm using prime95 and it seems after about five hours, coretemp will crash but prime95 will keep going, which doesn't seem like that's stable enough for me.

Also my Asus P6X58-E-WS seems to have a nasty bclk hole from about ~180-199. Don't recall encountering this problem with my L5639. Any ideas how to fix this if at all possible? Right now I'm running 20x209 bclk. I'd love to be able to up the multiplier and lower my bclk.

If it can pass 20 runs of IBT on maximum it's good enough for me. Been doing the same since 2010 and it has yet to fail me. If I'm leaving it overnight I like to do about 50 runs or roughly 9 hours, although the time will depend on the amount of ram you have.

I never liked prime much for stability testing because it would always take forever to crash if the system is even semi stable.

Been able to run at 4.6ghz at 192 bclk and and 24 multi so single CPU tasks will fly

But after tests my CPU seems to like 1.33v to be prime stable @ 4.4 or 4.6ghz

Just waiting on the new BIOS chip now

Well this is awesome. The USPS tracking number that Garland Computers gave me for my 5670 shows it as being delivered to Erlanger, Kentucky. I'm in Victoria, BC Canada...a rather long way off course.

edit: Apparently this is how eBay's Global Shipping Program works, I'd just never heard of it before. We pay shipping twice, who knows if it ends up being cheaper.

Last edited:
X5650 on the way.
From reading the thread, I gather my Rampage 2 Gene won't have a problem but still crossing my fingers. Already has latest bios.
:D

If you have HT off, just use the 'All' button.

If you have HT on:
If you have 6GB RAM, use 5120MB problem size.
If you have 12GB+, use 9216MB problem size.

If you have HT off, just use the 'All' button.

If you have HT on:
If you have 6GB RAM, use 5120MB problem size.
If you have 12GB+, use 9216MB problem size.

I think you miss understood me...the problem size only choices are in the 1000 mark intervals...
Capture_zpsb5cbe57a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

why on earth would anyone choose to run a 1366 xeon without turbo?
turbo kicks in just fine as long as your cooling solution can handle teh heat, and overall system temsp and power usage is lower with turbo on, because turbo alloows you to reach the same processor frequency with lower BCLKs. Lower BCLK= lower VTT and lower DIMM voltages.

My dual X5675 runs better at 25x 187 than at 23x195, and even [email protected] is perfectly fine with a mere 1.35 VTT. If i lower the BCLK a little more even the 26X multi kicks in for better single thread performance.

Thanks again for your help! Based on the hardware that I have, what would you say would be a good starting point for OC settings?

Back