1450 RPM Gentle Typhoon 2 for $20

jamaicanpi

Limp Gawd
The U.S. site for a Canadian retailer that refuses to advertise and support HardOCP is offering a bundle deal for 2 Gentle Typhoon AP-14 (1450 RPM) fans for $20. Their name reminds me of the T.V. show NCIS.

Single fans can be purchased for $13 (AP-14; 1450 RPM)and $14.63 (AP-15; 1850 RPM).

Free Shipping on orders of over $50.

Here's a review by Silent PC Review (SPCR)

I'm in, picked up the AP-14's. Always wanted to try them.

Thanks.

Ugh, I hate the "make an account and get into the final stages of checkout to see shipping/tax charges" bullshit.

if you order 2 packs of the 2 packs and add 1 fan you will get free shipping. If you need 5.. For this price I would go ahead and get 5 :)

Best fans I ever used. Very quiet and move a lot of air. I think I paid $20/ea or close to it when I built my latest rigs.

Might have to pick up a few more just in case.

Its been almost two weeks since I ordered some fans from their last sale. They still haven't arrived.

Last edited:
Meh, it's still about $15 per fan after shipping and tax. At that price I'd pay $1 more for a TY-140 instead. But pretty hot if you pick it up locally or buy four of them to save on shipping.

BTW this is why I'd get the TY-140, the noise level is basically the same but the temperature is 1* C better on a Megahalems. Plus a 140mm fan completely covers a 120mm heatsink, unlike a regular 120mm fan (which only covers about 80%). http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/120mm_and_140mm_fan_comparison,18.html

Meh, it's still about $15 per fan after shipping and tax. At that price I'd pay $1 more for a TY-140 instead. But pretty hot if you pick it up locally or buy four of them to save on shipping.

BTW this is why I'd get the TY-140, the noise level is basically the same but the temperature is 1* C better on a Megahalems. Plus a 140mm fan completely covers a 120mm heatsink, unlike a regular 120mm fan (which only covers about 80%). http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/120mm_and_140mm_fan_comparison,18.html

+1
ty-140s are some of my favs for sure!

but these gts are great too!, especially in the right situation and, as stated, if avoiding shipping costs

Awesome.

I got 2x 2packs = 4x AP-14 Gentle Typhoons.

I threw in the 32GB OCZ Rally Flash drive ($17 - $10 rebate) to get the free shipping. I've submitted something like 7 or 8 OCZ rebates in my time, and got ALL of them back.

I know OCZ rebates are hit/miss from all the various reports, but I've been lucky.

I have the TY-140's, and while I use a pair on my TR-Archon (just for the size and compatibility), I feel the GTs are superior elsewhere.

Its been two weeks since I placed my order that they claimed to have in stock. Still no ETA on when the fans will arrive to their warehouse. The worst part is I had to contact them to find out what the fucking deal is. Fuck NCI-X. They won't see any more business from me.

Its been two weeks since I placed my order that they claimed to have in stock. Still no ETA on when the fans will arrive to their warehouse. The worst part is I had to contact them to find out what the fucking deal is. Fuck NCI-X. They won't see any more business from me.

that is wierd..

I placed my order yesterday after i saw this thread and got a tracking number in 3hrs. It is shipping out from Baldwin Park, CA from what the tracking number shows..

Does anyone have these? If you do, please tell me, is it quiet enough to run at full blast all the time inside of a case? The reason I'm asking is because I read SPCR's review of the AP-14 and they said that it has a distinct tonal sound at 1100 RPM which spoils the sound of the fan. And some of the readers who posted there also said they experienced the same thing with other fans like the AP-15.

So I'm thinking if I get this it'll run at full speed as a CPU fan.

I have 8x of the 1850 rpm fans and they are dead silent at full speed. My PC sits about 3 feet from me. The loudest thing in my PC is the PSU fan (watercooled rig).

I have 8x of the 1850 rpm fans and they are dead silent at full speed. My PC sits about 3 feet from me. The loudest thing in my PC is the PSU fan (watercooled rig).

When you say silent, do you mean silent? i'm looking to replace my Corsair SP120 1800rpm fans, way too loud, on my water build.

There pretty quiet..I had 6 in my 700d case on 2 360 rads. Had them turned down just a bit and all I could hear was my pump running.

that is wierd..

I placed my order yesterday after i saw this thread and got a tracking number in 3hrs. It is shipping out from Baldwin Park, CA from what the tracking number shows..

I'm talking about different fans from their last sale. If they run low on these the same could happen here too.

I won't be buying through those guys anymore.

When you say silent, do you mean silent? i'm looking to replace my Corsair SP120 1800rpm fans, way too loud, on my water build.

I find these quiet enough at around 1500 rpm, I usually run them at 1200 rpm.

I find these quiet enough at around 1500 rpm, I usually run them at 1200 rpm.
thank for the reply
If you hook them to a fan controller and dial them down, do they make a terrible high pitch noise? My corsairs do and i hate it!!!

thank for the reply
If you hook them to a fan controller and dial them down, do they make a terrible high pitch noise? My corsairs do and i hate it!!!

They work well with my lamptron FC4. I run four of the 2150 rpm versions on one channel and they sound fine.

Last edited:
Anyone find anything good on there to make it up to $50? Don't really want to add more fans.

Anyone find anything good on there to make it up to $50? Don't really want to add more fans.

If you water cool see if they have the Monsoon Silver Bullet plug or some PT NUKE. I could use both items.

N*** can involve slow shipping for some items.
You may want to contact customer service (no fun to reach for out of the ordinary). I had one transaction go through (ie charges deducted) but the purchase never reached their shipping.
Refund was prompt after they confirmed glitch. Do not know if this is rare.

I have 10 AP-15's and I love them.
At 1200RPM I find them quiet enough to run 24/7 about 5 feet from my bed.

Any fan at 1800+ RPM is going to be 'loud'. GT's just have a better sound profile than any other fan out there at the same speed/size.

GT's definitely push more air than any other 120mm fan at the same RPM.

If you need more fans than N C I X will allow, get them from aquatuning.us... You have to buy a minimum of 5 to meet their cheap shipping requirement, but if you do it works about to about $15-16 per fan.

Thanks OP for the heads up on these fans. I might pick up some once I finalize my decision on what case I'm getting.

All I can tell you is for years I heard high praise for the Gentle Typhoon AP-15's but looked right past them because I already owned all sorts of other fans I was okay with, Scythe Slipstreams were a particular favorite, etc. But I didn't know what I was missing out on. When I finally did get a few AP-15's as testers, I quickly purchased many more and they replaced ALL my other 120mm's. You can feel the quality from the moment you take them out of the package, you still see them spinning for 20 seconds after you turned off power, they're just SOLID. And quiet.

Quality? Yes. Pulls a ton of air? Yes. Quiet? Not unless you're running them at a lower RPM. At 1450 RPM they are definitely NOT quiet, but they do have a better noise profile than many other fans. Also, they are only really great for radiator fans, but for case fans you can find plenty of others that perform just as well if not better (and quieter) for much less money.

All I can tell you is for years I heard high praise for the Gentle Typhoon AP-15's but looked right past them because I already owned all sorts of other fans I was okay with, Scythe Slipstreams were a particular favorite, etc. But I didn't know what I was missing out on. When I finally did get a few AP-15's as testers, I quickly purchased many more and they replaced ALL my other 120mm's. You can feel the quality from the moment you take them out of the package, you still see them spinning for 20 seconds after you turned off power, they're just SOLID. And quiet.
I've done some research over the Gentle Typhoon over the years and I finally bought some for my HS during the last sale. For horizontal mounting and restrictive airflow applications, I believe the GTs are better. But as case fans, I've been using Slipstreams, partly because when I was looking for case fans, the GTs were much more expensive, and partly because many have reported hearing bearing noise when the GTs are undervolted (SPCR measured ringing noise/tonal spike when the fan was slowed down). There's also the fact that the GTs don't push as much air at the same RPM as the Slipstreams, and I assume many people here who are looking into spending that much money on case fans probably have spent some time on cable management (maybe except me I'm lazy and I suck at it).

Quality? Yes. Pulls a ton of air? Yes. Quiet? Not unless you're running them at a lower RPM. At 1450 RPM they are definitely NOT quiet, but they do have a better noise profile than many other fans. Also, they are only really great for radiator fans, but for case fans you can find plenty of others that perform just as well if not better (and quieter) for much less money.
Yep. I would think that most people who care about noise would either buy the lower RPM version or undervolt the fan, although for HS use, lower temps are probably a greater concern than fan noise.

Back