15" MBP ----> Mac MINI -- Opinions needed

ToddW2

2[H]4U
I've been using my 15" MBP (about 6 months old) as my 'desktop' due to the Mac MINI not having Quad Core i7 (until now). My MBP has SSD, 8GB Ram, i7, and I plug it into my 30" Dell (2560x1600) via the MiniDP->Dual Link DVI adapter.

Side Note: For a laptop I have a new 13" MBAir, so I have no need for the MBP as a true laptop.

1. How much is my MBPro worth ? (8gb, Intel 510 120GB SSD, New battery replaced under squaretrade Warranty, 15.4", i7-2ghz Quad Core) Alternatively I could sell it wih the OEM HD.

2. Will I be missing anything going to the MINI ? I plan to put a 256gb SSD in there, and 16GB ram.

2a. Will I be able to run the MiniDP -> Adapter for my 30" and run at full resolution ?

3. Any problems keeping a Mac Mini on 24/7 for daily usage as my workstation ? (Overheating, etc??)

4. Anything else I should know about going Mac MINI ?

Thanks
-Todd

Your MBP is only worth about $1400, probably less. The Retina Macbooks have soiled the resale value of these things.

I just sold a 2.2ghz i7, 16gb DDR3, 240gb SSD Macbook Pro for $1400 :-/

It would probably not be worth it to move to a mac mini, because you wouldn't really be getting much of an upgrade. What's the point?

Your MBP is only worth about $1400, probably less. The Retina Macbooks have soiled the resale value of these things.

I just sold a 2.2ghz i7, 16gb DDR3, 240gb SSD Macbook Pro for $1400 :-/

It would probably not be worth it to move to a mac mini, because you wouldn't really be getting much of an upgrade. What's the point?

I forgot to mention it also has the warranty still with squaretrade.

The point is if I can sell it for even 1300$ the MINI is 800$, 256gb SSD $150-200, 16gb ram 60$, warranty 150.

I guess the idea was to have a little $ leftover, and a 2.6ghz or 2.3ghz quad core vs the 2ghz, and upgrade the ram to 16, and 256gb ssd.

I`m ready to replace my 120 with a 256 in my MBP so I was thinking about just going to the Mini and maybe pocketing 100 bux :D

The one thing you will notice, I think, is the lack of a discrete GPU on the Mac Mini.

That being said, the integrated 4000HD performs quite admirably (sold desktop, 6970 went to 13" pro) given what it is.

Other wise my dad has the base Mac Mini and for his computing purposes it's pretty solid. Fairly quiet too.

Thanks for the info.

I`ll have to decide what I want to do then.... if I had a buddy who wanted the MBP it would make it a quick buy/sell flop but having the down-time and changeover time could end up breaking even or losing a bit of $ if I can't unload it before Apple does something else :eek:

The new mini should handle that resolution no problem. I agree with Zinn about the price. To find out about specifically, you can always check ebay. Second off, why would you keep it on 24/7? Use it all day as a workstation sure, but turn it off at night when you're sleeping. It's always good to give computers a break sometimes.

The point is if I can sell it for even 1300$ the MINI is 800$, 256gb SSD $150-200, 16gb ram 60$, warranty 150.

I purchased the $799 base model. I than got a kit to add a drive to the Mac Mini from OWC and added a Sandisk 240GB SSD so now I have the original 1TB plus the SSD.

The kit comes with everything you need including step by step instructions with pictures. Took me about 30 minutes to add the SSD.

I put in 16GB 1600 of memory from Crucial specifically made for Macs.

I'm really happy with the system.

I would probably try to find the previous model with the discreet GPU if they are still available anywhere.

If you are running dual drives (SSD + HDD), you can make it a homemade fusion drive.

I believe it's as simple as two or three command lines in terminal. People have done it without problems it seems.

I haven't had the chance to do it yet, still waiting for my SSD to arrive.

Also if you aren't using your Mac Mini, just put it to sleep, and let it do it's thing.

2a. Will I be able to run the MiniDP -> Adapter for my 30" and run at full resolution ?

Thanks
-Todd

FYI - I'm using the late 2012 Mini (2.6 i7 w/ 16 GB RAM) to run a Dell U3011 (2560 X 1200) and an Apple Cinema Display (1920 X 1200).

If your monitor has DisplayPort - jsut get a MiniDP to DP cable for 10-15$ from amazon.

The only issue you may run into is the lack of a Display Port on the monitor. If you do not have a Display Port and are running at 2560 X 1200 - then you will need a mini-DP to dual link DVI adaptor. The

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Monoprice sells a version for 30$ less

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CODtrYr577MCFQeynQodBBkAYQ

FYI - I'm using the late 2012 Mini (2.6 i7 w/ 16 GB RAM) to run a Dell U3011 (2560 X 1200) and an Apple Cinema Display (1920 X 1200).

If your monitor has DisplayPort - jsut get a MiniDP to DP cable for 10-15$ from amazon.

The only issue you may run into is the lack of a Display Port on the monitor. If you do not have a Display Port and are running at 2560 X 1200 - then you will need a mini-DP to dual link DVI adaptor. The

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Monoprice sells a version for 30$ less

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CODtrYr577MCFQeynQodBBkAYQ

Thanks, I have that adapter and use it.

I was wondering if the MINI could power 2560x1600... which you've answered too :D

Back