15 mins battery charger

Dunamis

[H]Lurker Supreme[/H]
Is there any adverse effect to a 15 minutes battery charger (varta brand)? It seems a bit too fast, 2 hrs is fast enuf but 15 mins? How long in terms of recharge cycle will my rechargable battery last with these superfast chargers, anyone have any exeperience? Currently i'm using 15 hrs 'trickler' charger.

There are some side effects of fast chaging. It is very easy to over charge them. An exta 15 mins on a 14 hour charge isn't much, but in a 15 min charge it is doubling it. Most of the superfast chargers have a built in cut off so it won't be a problem. Some cheaper batteries don't like being charged faster than 1 hour. A reliable way to tell if anything is going bad it to keep an eye on their temperature. While everything is good they will be a little above room temp. When they are not happy or fully charged they heat up pretty quick.

For NiCads fast charging is more efficient than trickle.

Well most of the new decent quick chargers (not saying that just because you buy it today that it is new) have trickle sensors. Once your battery is full charged, the slow the charge down 90% so they only charge at 20mA. I have been experimenting with my charger charger for a while and it seems that even after the charger says that the battery is full, I still get a bit more performance out of it if I leave it on another 6 hours after the green LED shows.

I have the Rayovac IC3s, and have no problems with them for a ~8 months now ... very happy with them ... the fast charge is a great advantage if you are on the go often ...\

The charger actually switches off when it is fully charged ...

The downside is they are a bit more expensive, and they are only good for 500 charges ...

sounds good enugh for me, I might get it then :)
15 hours charger sometimes doesn't cut it anymore

I bought the Energizer 15 minute quck-charger kit (it has the auto-sensing trickle charge circuit as well and it came with 4 AA 2200mAh) as well as another 2 AA's.

The oem batteries that came with my MX700 kicked the bucket, so I splurged and decided that a quick charger with a total of 6 AA's would be great for my wireless mouse and keyboard, home theater remotes, flashlights, or anything else I might need AA batteries for.

DejaWiz said:
I bought the Energizer 15 minute quck-charger kit (it has the auto-sensing trickle charge circuit as well and it came with 4 AA 2200mAh) as well as another 2 AA's.

The oem batteries that came with my MX700 kicked the bucket, so I splurged and decided that a quick charger with a total of 6 AA's would be great for my wireless mouse and keyboard, home theater remotes, flashlights, or anything else I might need AA batteries for.
I did the same thing. I went with the Radioshack Charger, and got 14 batteries for free :). It's nice never running out of batteries.

I also have the Rayovac IC3, got it from Sams Club for $10 on sale with 4 AA batteries. It works great, especially for gamers with wireless controllers.

I took it on a trip to China this last summer and fried my adapter but not the charger. Came back, went to Best Buy and bought one of those multi-tip AC adapter. Tested to see what would happen if i set it to the max or 12 V instead of the recommended 3.5 V.

CHARGES IN UNDER 3 MINUTES. might not be fully charged but you can't beat a 3 minute charge.

:D

Back