$150 to spend what BASSY headphones to get?

prodigee

Gawd
Just like the thread title says I have $150 to spend on headphones but what I really want to know is which ones do I get?!? I want some headphones that will deliver a strong bump in the bass department, I mostly listen to techno, hip hop, and r&b. So with that said, please let me know the sooner the better. :D

I do gotta say I'm really impressed with the bass my JVC HA-RX700's put out, for $33 shipped they're badass...granted I doubt they'll hold a candle to the bass the DT's will. I'm not sure at what point it is really helpful to have amplification for driving headphones, but I'm sure 80 ohms will do ok. I think the JVC's are 48ohm, my X-Fi cranks them pretty easily. I'm actually looking into grabbing a set of used 770's later on as an option when I decide to move on from my 700's. Definately many praises on their bass output. Cheers.

I forgot to mention, I will be using these mostly to listen to my ipod so, they will need to be somewhat portable.

Well, they are a bit over your range but if you want something very portable, like earbuds, with bass that'll kick your skull in then the Ultimate Ears Superfi 5eb is probably what you are after. One of my roommates had them and damn, those things had intense bass. They are small too, not much bigger than a normal set of earbuds.

If you search around you might be able to find them for around $150 online. Not cheap, but really good earbuds.

Just make sure you are serious about the "lots of bass" part because the 5ebs aren't messing around in that department.

UE 5EB for portable use and the DT770/80 for your PC. I can vouch for both and can tell you they are both indeed very fine pairs.

While the DT770/80 does not require an amp, I would strongly suggest getting a simple amp to go along with it, even if its just a $20-$30 CMOY. IMO, without an amp, the lows just dominates the music too much with very little attention on the highs and mids. I find that amp really balances out the DT770 and really brings out the treble a little more.

I own a pair of the Super.fi 5 EBs. The bass sounds great with them. I have a few gripes with them though. They're huge for IEMs. Also. the part that goes into your ear canal is kinda big so it's tougher to get a good seal if you have smaller ears. Other than that, they sound great.

Maybe for headphones... for anything else that is a little ignorant of a statement.

I believe Bose or Monster Cable would fit your pun better.

I have quite a lot of studio equipment and their stuff is not so great i actually have bought a pair of m-audio studiophile dx4, as a "check sound on different speakers" type of thing and the volume control is completely uneven, left and right balance changes depending on the level you have set. i have relegated them to computer speakers for one that doesnt really matter that much.(they are still better sounding than many computer speakers but when i switch back and forth to my old Event 20/20 bas they sound really compressed and peaky)

also an M-audio MIDI keyboard (and the velocity sense was very incosistant between keys, and it was really cheap and plasticy feeling action) I went back to using a DX7 as my MIDI keyboard! bloody tank :D

I just havent had much luck with them.

I do gotta say I'm really impressed with the bass my JVC HA-RX700's put out, for $33 shipped they're badass...granted I doubt they'll hold a candle to the bass the DT's will. I'm not sure at what point it is really helpful to have amplification for driving headphones, but I'm sure 80 ohms will do ok. I think the JVC's are 48ohm, my X-Fi cranks them pretty easily. I'm actually looking into grabbing a set of used 770's later on as an option when I decide to move on from my 700's. Definately many praises on their bass output. Cheers.

Actually I'm pretty sure the RX700's will have more bass quantity. The DT770 is definitely a superior phone.

I have the RX700s, while they're great, after listening to the MS-1, I find their bass to be too much, and too muddy. The DT770 should be better overall if you're not looking for omgwtfbass ..

I have a slightly related question to this. I notice lots of folks recomend either the Beyer DT770 80ohm or 250 ohm. I was wondering what the difference/pro's and con's of each set where and what applications one did better over the other.

I have a slightly related question to this. I notice lots of folks recomend either the Beyer DT770 80ohm or 250 ohm. I was wondering what the difference/pro's and con's of each set where and what applications one did better over the other.

the dt770 80 ohm is the 'pro' version. humonguous bass, sibilant highs. generally sounds like junk but a lot of peeps like them. i hated them.
the dt770 250 ohm shares the speakers with the dt880 and 990. an audiophiles closed headphone

What about earbuds?

And

Has anyone had any experience with the Astro A40's with the MixAmp?

Last edited:
I enjoy heavy bass as well.

I opted to go for the RX700 as my most first foray into the 'real' headphone world. For $33 shipped, I thought it'd be a good move. If I don't like them, I can always go for the DT770/80s.

Another vote for the DT770's. 80ohm if you don't have an amp, 250ohm if you do. 80ohm version has much more of an emphasis on bass than the 250ohm version. Either way it's a headphone that's got plenty of bass, very good isolation, and a quality build that can survive the rigors of lan party transport without any problems.

for portable, perhaps Denon AH-C751 (shouldn't be more than $100 on amazon), but probably not the best route for sitting at your desk

so as everyone else has said, probably the Beyerdynamic 'phones, or Sennheiser HD-280's (I found them bassy enough to induce a headache given time, not sure if this "enough" for your tastes though :))

Back