160 character text limit on Evo? How do you get around this?

Blown 89

2[H]4U
My buddy just got an Evo and is asking me how to get around the 160 character text limit. The iPhone combines these texts so they're not broken up. Anyone know how?

I was wondering this too, I have the same problem on my Samsung Captivate. My old Fuze running Winmo 6.1 always combined texts and just sent multiple if I went over the 160 limit.

Maybe try Handcent SMS? I thought Android did that automatically, but if not handcent might.

Naturally, GSM breaks up texts over 160 characters, while CDMA doesn't. To get around tis, you can use Handcent or ChompSMS, which has this feature in it's settings. Personally, I prefer Handcent over Chomp.

Naturally, GSM breaks up texts over 160 characters, while CDMA doesn't. To get around tis, you can use Handcent or ChompSMS, which has this feature in it's settings. Personally, I prefer Handcent over Chomp.

It isn't a GSM vs. CDMA thing. They both support the same things in regards to SMS. It is the *PHONE* splitting the text into multiple chunks, not the network.

My N1 on Froyo does this in the stock Messaging app (though I prefer Handcent as well). Perhaps this is a limitation of Sense?

Sorry, 15 hour day, didn't explain it enough: Verizon and Sprint have coded this limitation into their networks, while AT&T and T-Mobile naturally split them up at the 160 character mark.

While it's an ad, it's still a good reference:

On of the annoyances with having a CDMA BlackBerry is that many carriers like Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Bell, Telus, & US Cellular limit the number of characters in a SMS to 160 or even 140. Practically all GSM carriers allow you to send a “Enhanced SMS” which lets you string 6 SMS messages together but there is no easy way to do this on a CDMA device.

Beyond160 from Cannon Software fixed this issue awhile back but they did not update the app to support OS 5.0. I just found out that the latest release 1.0.6 works like a charm on OS 5.0 BlackBerrys and allows you to break that 160 character limit by automatically sending it in multiple parts with the appropriate markers… (1/3), (2/3), (3/3).

Sorry, 15 hour day, didn't explain it enough: Verizon and Sprint have coded this limitation into their networks, while AT&T and T-Mobile naturally split them up at the 160 character mark.

Not true. My Palm Pre on Sprint lets me send infinite length text messages. It just sends the characters in groups of 160.

Not true. My Palm Pre on Sprint lets me send infinite length text messages. It just sends the characters in groups of 160.

That's what they're getting at; they're trying to prevent the phone from breaking it up into groups like that.

That being said, tell him to try sending an MMS. For me (I'm on Verizon) the MMS limit is 1000 characters.

yes, some phones have instituted a software fix to get around this. Others need third party programs (like Handcent).

It isn't a GSM vs. CDMA thing. They both support the same things in regards to SMS. It is the *PHONE* splitting the text into multiple chunks, not the network.

No completely true the network has to know how to handle it. GSM networks support basically a eSMS where any of the GSM networks can interpret multi-page texts from other GSM network. CDMA does not, so Verizon and Sprint usually have dumb-phones (because they might not support Email or MMS) auto split the messages and send them out one by one and it only works intra-network.

For all of the phones, if your sending a multi-page text to someone that can't receive that version of the text, all you receive is the first page. Which makes it hard to deal with because who knows the carrier to every friend or business client they would text?

For this reason MMS was created and all smartphones should be able to use email. It's named Simple Messaging System for a reason.

No, you misunderstand, *GSM* doesn't do shit to split up the texts. *GSM* still has the same 160 character limit. The *PHONES* split up the text into multiple SMS. The network does not do that automatically. It is not a network limitation on Sprint or Verizon, either, since their networks fully support it.

Now, why have Verizon and Sprint made most of their phones not split up texts? No idea, you'll have to ask them. For what it's worth, my winmo 6 pro phone on Sprint happily split up texts into multiple messages.

No completely true the network has to know how to handle it. GSM networks support basically a eSMS where any of the GSM networks can interpret multi-page texts from other GSM network. CDMA does not, so Verizon and Sprint usually have dumb-phones (because they might not support Email or MMS) auto split the messages and send them out one by one and it only works intra-network.

For all of the phones, if your sending a multi-page text to someone that can't receive that version of the text, all you receive is the first page. Which makes it hard to deal with because who knows the carrier to every friend or business client they would text?

For this reason MMS was created and all smartphones should be able to use email. It's named Simple Messaging System for a reason.

Not true. Both CDMA and GSM support multipart SMS. The network doesn't handle that at all - the network doesn't even guarantee in-order delivery. It is *ENTIRELY* handled by the phones on both networks. Multipart SMS isn't a different type of SMS, either, it is simply an extra bit flag set in the header of an SMS message. A phone that doesn't know how to handle multipart sms will just show the smses as they arrive, rather than rebuilding them into a single, in-order message.

Also, pretty sure you just made up eSMS - that doesn't appear to be a real thing.

Thanks for the responses, I forwarded him the info. It boggles my mind that phones don't combine texts automatically these days. That's something I took for granted on my iPhone. Apparently my Vibrant combines texts too....either that or I've been just shy of 160.

Thanks for the responses, I forwarded him the info. It boggles my mind that phones don't combine texts automatically these days. That's something I took for granted on my iPhone. Apparently my Vibrant combines texts too....either that or I've been just shy of 160.

I know that on stock Android 2.2 and 2.1 it basically lets you type out as long of a text as you like, while telling you when you hit close to 160 and then it will break it up to 3 times, then it will convert to MMS.

If I type out a text on stock android to another Tmobile subscriber, they just get a long text from me, it doesn't get broken up, even though I may see 160/3 when I am typing out a message. If I receive a long text, same thing. HOWEVER, if I receive a long text from my friend who has Sprint on Palm pre, I get it broken up into parts.

On Vibrant, I know that if I send a long text it doesn't get broken up, at least not to any Tmobile subscribers, I also do not see the whole 160/3 thing. But, if I receive a text from a Spring customer, it still is in chunks.

Back