1600 or 2000 DDR3 for SDB-E hrrrm

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Hrrm so 3930K is my next chip. Ramp IV is my next board.

Im going to load up all 8 slots.

Now I'm wondering if I should go 1600 or 2000+ spd. Since its an enthusiast rig and can handle a bunch of memory do you guys think there would be much of a difference noticable between 1600 which is already high performing or running some 2000+ ram?

I wouldn't know because I never ran anything faster than 1600.

I could read all the technical reviews on the internet but you guys are [H] and your personal experience and recommendations carry a lot more weight to me.

Thanks!

Seriosuly is there any need for so much ram and such high speeds?

I know SB does not really benfit from anythign higher than 1600mhz, and there is no point of having 32gb ram?

Seriosuly is there any need for so much ram and such high speeds?

I know SB does not really benfit from anythign higher than 1600mhz, and there is no point of having 32gb ram?

There sure is a need for all that ram. E Peen :p.

SB-E needs 1600 ram at stock clocks.

I wouldn't go over much what the memory controller supports 1066 -1333 i believe, save money that way too. 1600 would be fine, lowest voltage brand you can find

I wonder what games you play or what you do on your pc

Last edited:
With that much RAM are you making a RAM disk for gaming or doing lots and lots of rendering and pi calculations?

I will answer all of you.

32GB because I know what I want it for.
2000 because its ePeen and its enthusiast and if you have to ask me why I need that much ram or that much speed then that means you offer nothing to this conversation nor do you understand what performance truly is.

Why do I drive a 418whp Subaru around town because I can and you do not have one and if you do then you are not going to ask me why.

So those who understood thanks for recommending brands and speeds and all that. I will check out your links.

I will answer all of you.

32GB because I know what I want it for.
2000 because its ePeen and its enthusiast and if you have to ask me why I need that much ram or that much speed then that means you offer nothing to this conversation nor do you understand what performance truly is.

Why do I drive a 418whp Subaru around town because I can and you do not have one and if you do then you are not going to ask me why.

So those who understood thanks for recommending brands and speeds and all that. I will check out your links.

The kids with no money spend all day trying to tear down real computer enthusiasts on forum boards because of jealousy. [H] is starting not to be so [H] anymore. I'll still enjoy reading every bit about the uber machines that will be built with SB-E. Rock on dude.

The kids with no money spend all day trying to tear down real computer enthusiasts on forum boards because of jealousy. [H] is starting not to be so [H] anymore. I'll still enjoy reading every bit about the uber machines that will be built with SB-E. Rock on dude.

I wouldn't call it jealousy, atleast not always. Sometimes it's just honest friendly advice. Unless you really need 32GB of the most expensive ram what's the point? Being [H] is one thing, being foolish is another. Spend that money on a better video card , SSD or take your girlfriend/wife to the opera so you can get a bj afterwards.

I wouldn't call it jealousy, atleast not always. Sometimes it's just honest friendly advice. Unless you really need 32GB of the most expensive ram what's the point? Being [H] is one thing, being foolish is another. Spend that money on a better video card , SSD or take your girlfriend/wife to the opera so you can get a bj afterwards.

LOL.... Ive decided that 1600 will do me fine. Afterall this is still Sandy Bridge even if it has an E at the end and the memory controller is stupid powerful already on the 1155 chips. I bet the 2011 will be the same or better. Taking into considerations the recommendations here as well as the cost/performance ratio as well as the fact that what in God's holy name can you truly use 2000mhz+ DDR3 to its full potential other than 3dmarking your system or making a Pixar movie for Pixar lol.

1600 x 32GB is like 200 bux, and considering I have 16 already another 16 will be 85-99$. So not really expensive at all.

And I do have a complete usage for that much memory.

I do heavy virtualizing and testing for corporate applications and server pre-deployment testing as well as insane video conversion and encoding and RAM disking.

I would have done 32GB on my 1155 however it was very cost prohibitive and still is to use 8GB dimms. Maybe in 2-3 years 8GB Dimm will be the norm and 16GB will be the premium i.e. 4GB is the norm now and 8GB is the premium.

:cool:
And I do have a complete usage for that much memory.

I do heavy virtualizing and testing for corporate applications and server pre-deployment testing as well as insane video conversion and encoding and RAM disking.
:cool:

Have you checked your average or max memory usage doing any of this? For professional curiosity, I'd dig some screenshots of some memory usage.

My personal best oddly enough is my server. I'm running the latest version of FreeNAS running a ZFS RAID-Z2. When I hit the server heavy I regularly see 12GB+ used. ZFS is cool in that the more memory you give it, the more it will use or so I have read.

Back