16GB flash drive $149.98 shipped

Man, I really want one of those.
It would really save some wear and tear on my portable 2.5" drive.

what's the read/write speeds? i can't imagine writing 15GB over USB2:eek:

i use 2.5" 60GB external using firewire writing 20-40GB frequently and it's slow enough already!

what's the read/write speeds? i can't imagine writing 15GB over USB2:eek:

i use 2.5" 60GB external using firewire writing 20-40GB frequently and it's slow enough already!

You must have the almost impossible to find Firewire 800? USB2.0 is faster than Firewire 400 which is currently the only type of firewire really available widespread. Firewire 800 is barely on anything and mostly supported only by Apple computers.

USB2.0 is 480 Mbit/s
Firewire400 is 400 Mbit/s

Wow, I bought the 8GB flash drive and I thought it was plenty of storage, now a 16GB!!

i bought this:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817146604

works beautifully with my 60GB hard disk i was going to sell at one point :D. fw400 gives me sustained transfer rates whereas usb2 does not (4-10MB/s for USB, 10+MB/s for firewire). every little bit helps.

now, i wish there was an enclosure for:
-1.8" 10,000 or 15,000 rpm sas drive
-aluminum
-firewire800/400
-usb2 (or 3 if they get their ass behind the spex)
-esata1 or 2.

no one makes good stuff i want :cool:

aaaanyway, back on topic. does anyone know what's the write speed this this baby? that price is what i paid for 2GB ocz racer sticks.

i bought this:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817146604

works beautifully with my 60GB hard disk i was going to sell at one point :D. fw400 gives me sustained transfer rates whereas usb2 does not (4-10MB/s for USB, 10+MB/s for firewire). every little bit helps.

now, i wish there was an enclosure for:
-1.8" 10,000 or 15,000 rpm sas drive
-aluminum
-firewire800/400
-usb2 (or 3 if they get their ass behind the spex)
-esata1 or 2.

no one makes good stuff i want :cool:

aaaanyway, back on topic. does anyone know what's the write speed this this baby? that price is what i paid for 2GB ocz racer sticks.

Weird, you should be able to sustain more than that w/USB2.0.

Anyhow, I would assume the speed on this is not the greatest as it seems that as flash memory gets large the speed goes down the drain :(

fw400 gives me sustained transfer rates whereas usb2 does not (4-10MB/s for USB, 10+MB/s for firewire). every little bit helps.

I picked up a few of those 1GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro U3's at Staples a couple weeks ago ($5 out the door). They are USB 2.0, and when I copy a 500MB .iso to the drive, I get ~9MB/sec write speed and ~14MB/sec read speed.

sweeeeeeeet. That would be painful to lose =(. I just lost a 2gig flash drive

You must have the almost impossible to find Firewire 800? USB2.0 is faster than Firewire 400 which is currently the only type of firewire really available widespread. Firewire 800 is barely on anything and mostly supported only by Apple computers.

USB2.0 is 480 Mbit/s
Firewire400 is 400 Mbit/s

USB2.0 is "theoretically" faster than firewire, however, due to efficiency differences, firewire400 as you call it, is ACTUALLY faster.

usb2.0 has a cap of 480mbit
firewire is capped at 400mbit, but the real world benchmarks show that firewire is faster than usb2, and firewire800 is even moreso.

My real world experience is the same. I have an enclosure that has firewire and usb2, and the firewire portion is more responsive.

Pretty awesome, but too easy to lose for that much money. I'd probably want to kill someone if it was stolen. :p

$140... going down... going down... going down... that's a $10 price drop just today, damn... wish I had the money to get one, would be awesome for an "Ultimate Recovery" thing with every utility known to man on it ;)

$140... going down... going down... going down... that's a $10 price drop just today, damn... wish I had the money to get one, would be awesome for an "Ultimate Recovery" thing with every utility known to man on it ;)

I think you could fit all you really need on a 1 or 2gb flash drive.

This is too much of a liability for me to consider it. god knows i'd lose it.

I think you could fit all you really need on a 1 or 2gb flash drive.

On a regular basis I have to clear stuff off my 4 gig USB stick, so no... 1-2 gig isn't enough.

Couple of pieces of software, an image or two, plus files. Couple of gig get eaten up fast.

yeah, but with 5 for shipping tacked on. hence my 145 shipped...;)

Weird, you should be able to sustain more than that w/USB2.0.

I agree, only I'm not going to be subtle about it, I'm just going to outright call shens on him. Besides, with either type of connection he should be getting a good bit more than a measly 10 MB/s even with a really crappy external HDD
scratch.gif

Unless he's doing tons of small file transfers, but if that were the case then firewire should be dipping just as badly as USB2.

Well whatever, I don't have a vested interest in it anyway since Firewire is more or less a dead standard to most PC users anyway.

Back OT - that is one hell of a deal for that amount of space, and the device itself is impressively small. Not sure about the brand though.

USB2.0 is "theoretically" faster than firewire, however, due to efficiency differences, firewire400 as you call it, is ACTUALLY faster.

usb2.0 has a cap of 480mbit
firewire is capped at 400mbit, but the real world benchmarks show that firewire is faster than usb2, and firewire800 is even moreso.

My real world experience is the same. I have an enclosure that has firewire and usb2, and the firewire portion is more responsive.

You also need to think about what else is using the US Bus at the same time. Sharing is going to negatively impact performance, and sharing is, in fact, not caring. I highly doubt you're using firewire for much else.

All looks rosey for firewire:

http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

until:

The Windows PC implementation of USB 2.0 puts the Mac to shame. Today we tested the same USB 2.0 drive/enclosure on a Windows PC (3GHz Pentium 4) with built-in USB 2.0 on the motherboard, similar to Apple's approach. We measured 33MB/s READ and 27MB/s WRITE.

Which basically puts USB 2.0 on a PC about even with Firewire 400 on a Mac. For the sake of generosity I'll say FW400 still has a slight advantage (though it's still only a median of about 10%, which at speeds like ~30MB/s isn't really significant enough to make me rush out and put down money for a firewire card)

Apple gimping USB 2.0 just to make their favored standard look better? Or just Apple not caring enough to do as good of a job with USB 2.0 as they made sure to do with Firewire?

Don't get me wrong, I've always heard that Firewire manages a better average sustained speed with fewer dips than USB 2.0, and I basically accept that as axiomatic, I'm just saying that I don't think the difference is as big as a lot of people like to make it sound. IMO just another case of minority hardware elitism...

You must have a huge windows install. My C drive is 8 GB, Acronis will turn this into a 4.5 GB file with normal compression. I Usually don't include music/sample/picture/movie libraries in my backups though. 16 GB will hold a lot of backup image.

after I wrote this on my laptop I I remembered my lonely gaming machine that hasn't been started up in 3 weeks...too busy. A "loaded with games" gaming machine would certainly have a larger than 16GB backup.

...then again, neither is 16gb.

Well, my system drive is never larger than 15GB so... count off 1GB for pagefile space, that leaves 14GB. Count off the fact it never gets larger than 12GB to maintain the 15% free space to keep NTFS from crapping itself (any filesystem has this problem, wonder why), and then count off the fact that it rarely ever crosses the 10GB zone, and when True Image (my imaging tool of choice) hits it with 2:1 compression on average and I don't keep compressed items on the system drive like mp3 or video files, that gives me a roughly 6-7GB image which fits nicely...

On a dual layer DVD since it's something I create just one time for each OS I use in testing. :D

My original point was to create a kickass superduper ultra hella cool recovery tool with utilities of all kinds on it, as well as images of OSes on it also of various kinds. Think about it:

You could put every version of Windows ever made (who needs a damned AIO DVD if you can do this?), multiple Linux distros in LiveCD ready-to-install formats, data recovery apps, etc. Talk about "an Ultimate USB BootKey"...

Bleh, I'm just dreaming now, can't afford the damned thing anyway. Oh well.

Well, my system drive is never larger than 15GB so... count off 1GB for pagefile space, that leaves 14GB. Count off the fact it never gets larger than 12GB to maintain the 15% free space to keep NTFS from crapping itself (any filesystem has this problem, wonder why), and then count off the fact that it rarely ever crosses the 10GB zone, and when True Image (my imaging tool of choice) hits it with 2:1 compression on average and I don't keep compressed items on the system drive like mp3 or video files, that gives me a roughly 6-7GB image which fits nicely...

On a dual layer DVD since it's something I create just one time for each OS I use in testing. :D

My original point was to create a kickass superduper ultra hella cool recovery tool with utilities of all kinds on it, as well as images of OSes on it also of various kinds. Think about it:

You could put every version of Windows ever made (who needs a damned AIO DVD if you can do this?), multiple Linux distros in LiveCD ready-to-install formats, data recovery apps, etc. Talk about "an Ultimate USB BootKey"...

Bleh, I'm just dreaming now, can't afford the damned thing anyway. Oh well.

...or, in an entirely less volatile way, you could have a reasonably sized flash drive that doesn't drop you 145 bucks and several dvds or cds.. I think i'd rather lose a cd-r than a 16gb flash drive if you get what I mean. ;)

Which basically puts USB 2.0 on a PC about even with Firewire 400 on a Mac. For the sake of generosity I'll say FW400 still has a slight advantage (though it's still only a median of about 10%, which at speeds like ~30MB/s isn't really significant enough to make me rush out and put down money for a firewire card)

Apple gimping USB 2.0 just to make their favored standard look better? Or just Apple not caring enough to do as good of a job with USB 2.0 as they made sure to do with Firewire?

Don't get me wrong, I've always heard that Firewire manages a better average sustained speed with fewer dips than USB 2.0, and I basically accept that as axiomatic, I'm just saying that I don't think the difference is as big as a lot of people like to make it sound. IMO just another case of minority hardware elitism...

Do your own testing... Firewire beats USB2.0 on both platforms and has since the begining... Firewire just isn't used much on the Windows side since it can sometimes be flakey and is usually relegated to the rear of the majority of PC cases whereas USB ports in nearly all cases can be found up front.

And, yes, from personal experience, my USB2.0 throughput is nearly 2x as fast on my PC vs. my G5... But I've never had any USB2.0 device be as fast as any of my firewire devices... this includes my seven external drives that have both connections.

USB2.0 and Firewire are both around to stay for the long run. And they both have their uses, but don't kid yourself by thinking it's elitism or anything else, it's pure numbers and theoretical throughput is merely there to sell units, nothing more.

If you have the option, firewire is the better choice... if you don't have the option, then why argue the point. Unless you're doing video work, there's no reason to run out and add firewire to your system unless you have need of it for a peripheral to work.

And in your case, Sabrewulf, your opinion is one sided and useless. You might as well be saying a pinto is the best car in the world, in your opinion, since its the only thing you've ever driven and you don't see a reason to drive anything else. But hey, don't believe everything written on the subject, nor the first hand experience of people that have done the tests... your pinto is awesome and there's no reason you should think otherwise. :rolleyes:

As an aside, I'd rather use external SATA anyway. Faster than both, but sadly, nowhere near as portable :(

Guess my rates are pretty good, def better than up to 10

nice app btw, thanks

BTW, This is USB 2.0
The lower right hand box identifies that.

Do your own testing... Firewire beats USB2.0 on both platforms and has since the begining... Firewire just isn't used much on the Windows side since it can sometimes be flakey and is usually relegated to the rear of the majority of PC cases whereas USB ports in nearly all cases can be found up front.

I'm not disagreeing that FW400 is faster, I just don't think it's as much faster as you say

theoretical throughput is merely there to sell units, nothing more.

Well there's something we both agree on for sure :p

If you have the option, firewire is the better choice... if you don't have the option, then why argue the point. Unless you're doing video work, there's no reason to run out and add firewire to your system unless you have need of it for a peripheral to work.

I have the option, my motherboard has a firewire connector and my case has a front firewire port

And in your case, Sabrewulf, your opinion is one sided and useless. You might as well be saying a pinto is the best car in the world, in your opinion, since its the only thing you've ever driven and you don't see a reason to drive anything else. But hey, don't believe everything written on the subject, nor the first hand experience of people that have done the tests... your pinto is awesome and there's no reason you should think otherwise. :rolleyes:

So is there some compelling reason that you decided you HAD to make it personal? If my opinion is worthless, yours is just as worthless. And before you make accusations like "maybe you should try it," maybe you should consider that I already have and found the rewards not worth the lack of compatibility (most computers I work with, unlike mine, do NOT have firewire ports)? I thought we were just having a good discussion here, so I'm sorry you felt the need to attack me in order to boost your own perceived standing in the matter...

As an aside, I'd rather use external SATA anyway. Faster than both, but sadly, nowhere near as portable :(

Agreed and agreed

In any case, we should probably all quit jacking this thread... if a mod could split this off into a new thread, por favor?

Back