16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ the Egg for $89.99

+1

Just ordered.

I had the memory in my cart and ready to checkout. I go to my email real quick and see a newegg email about coupons. I open it and I see memory for 10% off.

Also has free shipping via eggsaver, but I opted for the $5.99 3 day UPS.

Score.

I didn't really need this, but <$100 to be set for RAM until DDR4 becomes commonplace? Worth it, IMO. :D

Amazing, im just curious, is there any reason this wouldnt be as epicly awesome of RAM if i was wanting to use it for a future build? Such as Ivy Bridge or SB-E or LGA2011? I know we don't know much about any of those..but at these prices im scared of passing them by, and then Dec2011-March2012 prices are back up as the new motherboards/CPU's come out. Is it possible they will be DDR4? or that this RAM will not be optimal? Any advice would be awesome.

Amazing, im just curious, is there any reason this wouldnt be as epicly awesome of RAM if i was wanting to use it for a future build? Such as Ivy Bridge or SB-E or LGA2011? I know we don't know much about any of those..but at these prices im scared of passing them by, and then Dec2011-March2012 prices are back up as the new motherboards/CPU's come out. Is it possible they will be DDR4? or that this RAM will not be optimal? Any advice would be awesome.

Given that ivybridge(mainstream not enthusiast) is supposed to be on socket 1155 and can work with some of the current motherboard. DDR3 will probably be used. I can't see why the voltage will matter since it is 1.5V. Given that DDR3 1333 is fine for sandy bridge, DDR3 1600 should be fine as well. Worse comes to worse...prices go down further and you could have saved for. Good situation...prices go up and your purchase works out great or you decide you don't want it and sell the kit for profit.

I say, get the 16GB kit.

Last edited:

RAM prices always go down. Down down down. I would never buy memory or a hard drive expecting to use it later in life. If it's more than 2-3 months away, something will be cheaper in the same category 99% of the time.

Although you've entered a valid promo code BTEKBKB29, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria.

:(

I shouldn't have bought either, but heck, 16gb plus a flash drive for under $100 - I'll find a use.

While it is a really good deal, not being able to test your RAM would lock it in to only being able to do a mfgr RMA. If you're ok with that, it's a really nice deal.

I think i will wait, its only a few months and i don't mind paying $30 more if it gets me peace of mind that im buying the exact right premium RAM for my new motherboard. Might (probably) is a mistake lol, but its one i can live with as long as ddr3 doesn't skyrocket in price in the next 2-5 months. If i remember right though, ddr2 only started skyrocketing in price when ddr3 became the "it" RAM to buy for motherboards, so they started producing more, and eventually it seems almost stop producing all together.
Great deal though, if i had a DDR3 compatible rig i would scoop this up in a second. I might only need 6-8 Gb's, but 16Gb's for <$99? SWEET.

While it is a really good deal, not being able to test your RAM would lock it in to only being able to do a mfgr RMA. If you're ok with that, it's a really nice deal.

Yeah i thought about that, id want to leave them unopened so i could resell if i had too sealed unopened, but then i cant test them to see if they work right, or work at all, then returning like you said would be only to manufacturer.

God damnit. I just ordered a dual channel kit a week ago. I planned on ordering more. Well that sucks :(

No they don't.

I've seen prices go double or more before. At this price there's not much to lose how much cheaper can it get anytime soon?

A little late for this deal but any of you with a Chase Freedom card... maybe other Chase cards too.... They've got 5% cashback through their Ultimate Rewards Mall. If I'm right about how it works it's an extra 5% so 6% total with the normal 1%. So I got this for about $84 shipped :).

When i click the link the price is up to $125 now. Oh wel. I'll wait for a Corsair sale. :)

AMD platforms currently go up to 1866 and I've seen rumors that Intel's next gen will be 2133. For those of you who think this is a good future investment you may want to reconsider as DDR3 1600 will likely be much too slow in a year or so.

AMD processors only support up to DDR3-1333. Intel processors are DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1333 depending on the model.. Reaching 1866 or higher requires overclocking.

AMD platforms currently go up to 1866 and I've seen rumors that Intel's next gen will be 2133. For those of you who think this is a good future investment you may want to reconsider as DDR3 1600 will likely be much too slow in a year or so.

Nah, the rest of us will continue to realize that higher-speed RAM yields little to no real-world performance benefit and hasn't for years. The difference between dual- and triple-channel memory is minute. A difference in clock speed is a fraction of that.

RAM prices always go down. Down down down. I would never buy memory or a hard drive expecting to use it later in life. If it's more than 2-3 months away, something will be cheaper in the same category 99% of the time.

No, they don't. Don't you remember the high memory prices on DDR3 in 2009?
The manufacturers were slimming down inventory. I'd previously bought a 2x2GB kit for $15 AR in 2008, and in 2009 the prices for 4GB were all about $60-$80?

When memory goes up, it stays there for at least 6 months. Might as well have some spare stuff sitting around because DDR3 is going to be here a long time.

Don't worry about missing this deal. Newegg regularly has the ripjaws or ripjaws x kits for $45-$50 these days.

I don't think I've seen anyone talk about "stockpiling" in this thread. Funny how in a few older ones people were doing that thinking it was the bottom. I've already seen a deal on tigerdirect for 8GB for $25AR.

Nah, the rest of us will continue to realize that higher-speed RAM yields little to no real-world performance benefit and hasn't for years. The difference between dual- and triple-channel memory is minute. A difference in clock speed is a fraction of that.

I agree 100%

The component that makes the least difference is ram speed. Now if it looked really cool and cost maybe only a few dollars more (like up to $5) then I would consider it.

Just received the RAM today. 3day shipping = 1 day.

No issues and running great. Now to upgrade my fiance's system with 8GB.

exactly how slow is my DDR3 1333 right now? sigh............

as said by before, it is POSSIBLE for ram prices to go up. all goes to supply vs demand

last 1-2 years, DDR3 production was ramping up(demand more than supply, supply starting up), so DDR3 supply was expensive, but got cheaper.
DDR2 supply is shrinking, so its getting expensive

currently, DDR3 supply is really high, suppliers have to get rid of old stock = low prices

what happens in 3 months from now? no one knows

BUY STUFF when/if you want it

exactly how slow is my DDR3 1333 right now? sigh............

as said by before, it is POSSIBLE for ram prices to go up. all goes to supply vs demand

last 1-2 years, DDR3 production was ramping up(demand more than supply, supply starting up), so DDR3 supply was expensive, but got cheaper.
DDR2 supply is shrinking, so its getting expensive

currently, DDR3 supply is really high, suppliers have to get rid of old stock = low prices

what happens in 3 months from now? no one knows

BUY STUFF when/if you want it

Well one thing is sure it will go up at some point. Right now I wish I'd gotten more DDR2 when it was cheap. I remember paying $100 for 1gb of DDR1 when I could have gotten it half that price or less when it bottomed out.

Even if the price doesn't go up soon it will once it's outdated a little and production switches to something else. I've had to many times where I needed some memory that was last generation and ended up paying 2x or more for it as a result.

I've got 8GB in my system now and I'm sure that's more than I need and I'm thinking it'll be a while before more than 4GB is needed for a basic system. Now I'm talking about general use mainly for when I want to sell what I have now and get something new or if someone wants me to build them a computer now.

Another thing is I'm seeing free gifts like a 4GB flash drive with this one. Not worth a lot but it's an added bonus as I could use a few more flash drives or always sell them.

Back