16pipes with bios flash

yea i musta been drunk for that comment up there or something, but ive swaped out 3 pny cards and they all seem to not OC as far as most the others, so i would stay away from them unless you have a employee discount at compusa :p

i havent try to flash the bios with another flash util yet..
i formatted hdd so had to download programs, bios again.

FXXXK !!!
gigabyte took all 6800 series bios off their website, they were available last two weeks ago as i posted ealier in this thread. and gigabyte has also taken all x800 series bios off their website. (maybe ati got pissed off?)

gigabyte x800 bios (or probably the actual flash util) is the only bios which allows x800pro vivo to flash to x800xt n enable 16 pipes. n now they are not available.

gigabyte 6800 series flash util might be the key to enable/disable extra 4 pipes, like in x800pro vivo. luckily i made a backup copy of gigabyte x800xt bios(inc flash util) just in case i get x800pro vivo. but i didnt backup 6800 series bios n flash util.. i hope the flash util are same..

edit: dont worry bios are still available on www.giga-byte.com but .tw site took them off for some reason.

alot of good info here, http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=100105&perpage=10&pagenumber=1
my card is 1f07 = 3 pixel quads active, 5 vertex pipes active.
run "RivaTuner.exe" /rr1540" to get the info, check the last four numbers.

"Ha, I think I got it. My config is 1370e. Leadtek 6800NU
"0e" tells me the numbers of the pixel pipes, in binary its: 0000("0") and 1011("e")
=> three times a "1" means 3 Pixel Quads active (3*4=12)
"37" tells me the numbers of the vertex pipes, in binary its: 0011("3") and 0111("7")
=>5 times a "1" means 5 vertex pipes active"

Id get a 6800NU in a second if it werent for the 128mb of memory.

ı think you should flash Asus9999GE.It will be ultra without artifacts i think.

now we know that we can disable 16 pipes by simply flashing back to original bios.

FLASH FLASH FLASH

Chaballaman said:
yeah im waitin for rivatuner too but i think the guy is on holiday. :(
if some 6800nu is goin to work with rivatuner then it should also work with bios flash.

we know 6800nu can run with 16pipes but can some 6800nu work 100%?

Now see, that is the kind of thinking that is going to get your card killed along with 300 dollars down the drain. The softmod opens the pipes and is somewhat harmless, the flash is the opposite. Do you understand that? Especially with the ram on the 6800 that is not rated to run at those speeds, I would not do this. Have fun.

bboynitrous said:
Now see, that is the kind of thinking that is going to get your card killed along with 300 dollars down the drain. The softmod opens the pipes and is somewhat harmless, the flash is the opposite. Do you understand that? Especially with the ram on the 6800 that is not rated to run at those speeds, I would not do this. Have fun.
He said he modified the BIOS before flashing, to run at slower speeds.

Okay even with that going, I still think it's a bad idea. Rivatuner seems like the solution, I don't know why you just wouldn't wait for that.

Ummm....old thread?

Rivatuner 15.2 is out, and the mod is proving to be wildly successful.

There is now absolutely no reason at all to EVER flash a 6800nu with an Ultra BIOS. If you need to mod the voltage, mod your own BIOS, but don't risk a flash. If the extra pipes can be enabled, RivaTuner can do it. If they can't be, a flash won't help.

Don't risk your $300 card - no point!

dderidex said:
Ummm....old thread?

Rivatuner 15.2 is out, and the mod is proving to be wildly successful.

There is now absolutely no reason at all to EVER flash a 6800nu with an Ultra BIOS. If you need to mod the voltage, mod your own BIOS, but don't risk a flash. If the extra pipes can be enabled, RivaTuner can do it. If they can't be, a flash won't help.

Don't risk your $300 card - no point!

lol dont listen to dadumdex, this guy is totally clueless, he thinks gf fx5200 is fastest card available. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=812529&page=3

he also claims 6800ultra flash gets permanent 16 pipes(he has no proof, but always seem to come up with bs), but 6800nu can get 12pipes back if you back with original bios. (i've tested it) so i dont see any risk.

anyway move all 6800nu flash thread to;
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=817971
i'll post all the updates there.. im gonna try leadtek 6800ultra bios next.

Well, once AGAIN you are factually wrong in every point, but, let me address:

Chaballaman said:
lol dont listen to dadumdex, this guy is totally clueless, he thinks gf fx5200 is fastest card available. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=812529&page=3

Amazing. Mind pointing out where I said the 'FX5200 is the fastest card available'? I merely said it was faster than a GF3. Unless the GF3 is somehow the fastest card available, now? But, then, you'd have to be living pretty far in the past for that. Try not to have your ego so attached to a single card and you'll be able to objectively analyze the data I provided in that thread.

he also claims 6800ultra flash gets permanent 16 pipes(he has no proof, but always seem to come up with bs), but 6800nu can get 12pipes back if you back with original bios. (i've tested it) so i dont see any risk.

#1) No, I never said that at all. What I *said* (and heck, *I* didn't say it at all, but posted a quote from Unwinder, RivaTuner's creator) was that if you flashed back to 12-pipes from a failed 16-pipe flash, you can't choose which 12-pipes get enabled for some reason. Of COURSE you go back to 12-pipes from 16, but it may not stop the artifacting because the bad quad that got enabled cannot be selectively disabled. I'm almost certain this is a fault of the BIOS flash programs currently available, but RivaTuner Unwinder and X-Bit labs have both verified this.

#2) Since you appear to be so much smarter than Unwinder, I suppose we should all just stop using RivaTuner and wait for your awesome replacement program, right? Or, if you can prove Unwinder exactly wrong in what he said, why not go over to Guru3d and correct him? Or, are you already banned from their forums?

anyway move all 6800nu flash thread to;
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=817971
i'll post all the updates there.. im gonna try leadtek 6800ultra bios next.
Why anybody would risk flashing their card after the 15.2 RivaTuner mod is beyond me.

There is NOTHING - repeat *NOTHING* - that flashing your card will gain you that RivaTuner cannot already do or you cannot do by modifying your own BIOS. Flashing your card CAN kill it (I know, I've done it, so has half the posters on the forum, I'm sure), and you can get the exact same bonuses by using RivaTuner. Only, if THAT doesn't work, a simple reboot to safe mode and all is well.

It just doesn't make any sense to risk the flash when the EXACT SAME THING can be done with NO RISK in software!

3DMarkyMark said:
I run Linux and CAN'T run Rivatuner. I would love to hear a success story on this.
Well, that's unfortunate.

I'd strongly recommend you go over to the Guru3d forums and check out the 'RivaTuner' section. Unwinder posts regularly there, and has gone into some detail about the failure rate of BIOS flashes. Some users *are* doing BIOS flashes after they verify their cards are working using the RivaTuner trick, but I wouldn't do it 'blind', if you follow.

Maybe you can take your card over to a friend's PC who is running windows and try it out there? In any case, make sure you adjust the clock speeds in the BIOS you choose to flash before using it. While the core clock *might* work - MAYBE - there is absolutely no way the memory clock will work. 6800nus are spec'd (most) for something like 800mhz ram. Not the 1.1ghz or higher of an Ultra. Just won't work, not even the fastest 6800nus in the world (according to Futuremark's ORB) can hit those memory clocks.

Back