17.3 inch QHD (2560x1440) 120Hz TN G-SYNC 400 NITS

Enthusiast Extreme

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone! After spending a few months looking for a nice laptop I finally decided to go with a fully decked out Alienware's newest 17 inch laptop R4.

The reason why I'm posting this is because I've never seen a display like this and am wondering if I should of went with a different one (just ordered today so I can still change it). 17.3 inch QHD (2560x1440) 120Hz TN 400 nits G-Sync.

My concern is, will the colors be up to par being that it's a TN panel and not a IPS panel?? Should I have went for a 4k 60hz IPS 300 NITS 60 hz G-Sync panel instead with them?? I'm used to gaming on my LG 3440x1440 curved IPS monitor and just wanted a good laptop to game on the go.

Here are the other specs:

I7 6820HK
Windows 10 PRO
GTX 1080
32 GB DDR4 2400 mhz
1tb PCI-e-boot + 1TB 7200rpm storage
Killer 1535 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFI and Bluetooth 4.1

Thank you for all the imput guys, much appreciated!

Depends entirely if it is a 6-bit+dithering or 8-bit TN panel. With 8-bit TN you won't have wide gamut but since pretty much all content you typically see is sRGB it is not an issue at all. 6-bit panel will look worse. Viewing angles will also depend on the panel in question.

For gaming the TN panel will be better. The 1080M is perfect for pushing 1440p and the 120 Hz refresh rate will help reduce motion blur. 4K with a 1080M will require dropping detail settings.

I am going to get the 1080p version with the 1070gtx. TN is always a TN.

These TN panels are better then most normal one's that I have seen. Also having that 1080 in there will drive it really well. Just remember that you will have a 330w power supply with that bad boy and with the G-SYNC monitor you will only have the dedicated GPU (No Optimus) Otherwise that thing will be a beast, I noticed they beefed up the cooling on that version based on the 1060/1070 models.

Depends entirely if it is a 6-bit+dithering or 8-bit TN panel. With 8-bit TN you won't have wide gamut but since pretty much all content you typically see is sRGB it is not an issue at all. 6-bit panel will look worse. Viewing angles will also depend on the panel in question.

For gaming the TN panel will be better. The 1080M is perfect for pushing 1440p and the 120 Hz refresh rate will help reduce motion blur. 4K with a 1080M will require dropping detail settings.

Not sure which panel it is, I'm definitely hoping for the 8 bit. Yes the 1080 will be a perfect card for the 1440p, I agree 100% and since it's not 4k I'll be able to max out 90% of the games. :)

These TN panels are better then most normal one's that I have seen. Also having that 1080 in there will drive it really well. Just remember that you will have a 330w power supply with that bad boy and with the G-SYNC monitor you will only have the dedicated GPU (No Optimus) Otherwise that thing will be a beast, I noticed they beefed up the cooling on that version based on the 1060/1070 models.

Yeah I guess we shall see in a few weeks!

Thanks to everyone that replied. I was quite perplexed by this screen and thought that TN panels were a thing of the past, and I've never seen 120 hz screen on the laptop before either which really intrigued me.!

Not sure which panel it is, I'm definitely hoping for the 8 bit. Yes the 1080 will be a perfect card for the 1440p, I agree 100% and since it's not 4k I'll be able to max out 90% of the games. :)

Yeah I guess we shall see in a few weeks!

Thanks to everyone that replied. I was quite perplexed by this screen and thought that TN panels were a thing of the past, and I've never seen 120 hz screen on the laptop before either which really intrigued me.!
Don't forget to check back and post your impressions with this TN versus the IPS display.
My purchase has been postponed to January, so I might just get the TN version if it's good enough. :) 120hz and GSync are tempting. If only they made it with an IPS 75hz and GSync - that would've been a hit :cry:

Don't forget to check back and post your impressions with this TN versus the IPS display.
My purchase has been postponed to January, so I might just get the TN version if it's good enough. :) 120hz and GSync are tempting. If only they made it with an IPS 75hz and GSync - that would've been a hit :cry:

Will do. And I'd go the same way if it was available.

OK. So I am researching this matter daily, and so here is Lenovo y910 which checks all the boxes:
http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/y900-series/y910-17/
Including IPS with G-sync.

Also here is the comparison between the new Alienware pasacal 15" TN vs IPS starting at 54min:

And another video showing 15" IPS 4k vs 15" IPS HD vs 17" IPS 4k:

I lean toward Lenovo currently. But the awesome exterior design of Alienware makes me doubt.

Also, the 4K display covers 100% AdobeRGB gamut. It means that games and Windows outside specific color aware programs will look oversaturated. Ideal for photo editing and totally deal breaking if you intend to game on this 4k display.
The case is pretty much solved, I suppose.

Last edited:
OK. So I am researching this matter daily, and so here is Lenovo y910 which checks all the boxes:
http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/y900-series/y910-17/
Including IPS with G-sync.

Also here is the comparison between the new Alienware pasacal 15" TN vs IPS starting at 54min:

And another video showing 15" IPS 4k vs 15" IPS HD vs 17" IPS 4k:

I lean toward Lenovo currently. But the awesome exterior design of Alienware makes me doubt.

Also, the 4K display covers 100% AdobeRGB gamut. It means that games and Windows outside specific color aware programs will look oversaturated. Ideal for photo editing and totally deal breaking if you intend to game on this 4k display.
The case is pretty much solved, I suppose.

Got my laptop in, after spending 8 or so hours setting everything up, and doing a bunch of different tests including games, I must say that I am sorely disappointed with the screen. I love the laptop, build quality, amazing specs, but hate that all of that is ruined by a crappy TN panel. It's an 8 bit TN panel with decent viewing angles, but coming from an 65' OLED G6P signature series TV and a 34 inch LG 10 bit IPS curved monitor that I use on my desktop, I simply cannot get over how bad the colors are on this TN.... I will be sending the laptop back to Alienware monday... Shame that they couldn't have put a high quality IPS panel with their flagship laptop and put that GTX 1080 it comes with to good use. Oh well..

Thanks guys

Thanks for your input Enthusiast Extreme.
I've set my mind on MSI Titan Pro which also has TN... But they say it is really good with 1300:1 contrast and 120hz and gsync. It can also be calibrated very well and bear some exceptional results even suited for photo editing. It has 1080gtx on board so that fast 1080p TN panel will be put to good use. I will force myself into living (and working) with TN panel, as this will be my main work computer. My current wtatercooled 1080gtx based desktop will be left as a secondary mostly gaming and entertainment PC. Will probably add to it an oled sometime in 2017 and a nice thrustmaster wheel for occasional PC racing fun. It will be a nice addition to the dxracer chair.

Got my laptop in, after spending 8 or so hours setting everything up, and doing a bunch of different tests including games, I must say that I am sorely disappointed with the screen. I love the laptop, build quality, amazing specs, but hate that all of that is ruined by a crappy TN panel. It's an 8 bit TN panel with decent viewing angles, but coming from an 65' OLED G6P signature series TV and a 34 inch LG 10 bit IPS curved monitor that I use on my desktop, I simply cannot get over how bad the colors are on this TN.... I will be sending the laptop back to Alienware monday... Shame that they couldn't have put a high quality IPS panel with their flagship laptop and put that GTX 1080 it comes with to good use. Oh well..

Thanks guys
the default screen settings were probably just really bad. you shouldn't be noticing any difference between IPS and TN at this point when both are calibrated unless you're A/Bing them side-by-side.

People talking about 'colors' and photo editing- guys, be real. Even a shitty TN, properly calibrated, can be used effectively for most photo editing needs (professional and non).

Good color support is mostly necessary for color matching, when talking about different output mediums like video and print, and for this to matter you'll also have your cameras color profiled as well. For internet output, it isn't very useful at all, because so few of the displays that images would be viewed on are also properly calibrated.

If you're actually worried about color for photography, you'll borrow/rent/purchase a calibration tool, regardless of the quality of display you're using.

Might consider building a mini itx in a silverstone sg13 case (probably one of the smallest at 6.93" x 8.74" x 10.87"), sleeve a 24" g-sync monitor and throw it all in suitable duffle bag or duffle/backpack hybrid. Zip tie up all of the cables and put them in a sleeve like a single umbilical cord.

As long as you don't need it for some college communal area or a coffee shop (and high end gaming there?) - most high end gaming laptops are more portable desktops anyway and require being tethered, wired by a huge power brick. You'd need the area of a mouse pad as well and a good mouse in either case. There are obvious trade-offs in carrying a medium duffle or hybrid duffle backpack and the short set-up time. but you gain full modularity of parts, upgrade path and a much better (and replace-able) monitor. I realize you can put an exernal monitor on a laptop but then again you are making a portable bagged kit.

Even when I used to throw my old 5870m gpu based asus laptop in the back of my truck when going to remote locations, I ended up using a targus top-handled backpack loaded with the large 17" laptop, a good metal cooling tray with integrated fan, a g13 gameboard, a pair of slim usb external speakers, metal mouse pad, a slim usb hub, and of course the huge power brick. I'd keep some other misc. pc stuff in the bag too like monitor wipe kit, flash drive, ethernet cable, three prong power cable extension etc. With a unified sleeved cord it was pretty quick and easy to deploy and pack up.

I tried calibrating the screen in hopes of getting the more vivid colors that I'm familiar but without much success. Everything just looked washed out and bland. The anti-glare that they have installed isn't helping either when all the displays I've gamed on had a glossy finish.

Perhaps I'm a bit high maintenance, but I only expect the best. And spending 3800 USD on a laptop with a TN panel in almost 2017 is absurd. We're on the edge of OLED becoming the high end go-to in computer displays, and yet they're still using TN panels.

Ok all done venting now lol.

You don't calibrate for 'familiar' colors, you calibrate for accurate colors. If you want something more vivid, try turning the saturation up or something, just know that you're only making the colors even less accurate.

You don't calibrate for 'familiar' colors, you calibrate for accurate colors. If you want something more vivid, try turning the saturation up or something, just know that you're only making the colors even less accurate.

Yes I know that, but it's not all about colors being accurate, the WHOLE screen no matter how calibrated just looks washed out and unusable after a high end 34inch curved 10 bit IPS panel and OLED TV from LG... Am I doing something wrong? I haven't sent it back yet, so there's still time to mess around with it.

Perhaps I'm a bit high maintenance, but I only expect the best. And spending 3800 USD on a laptop with a TN panel in almost 2017 is absurd. We're on the edge of OLED becoming the high end go-to in computer displays, and yet they're still using TN panels.

How is this Alienware's fault?

There are no 120 Hz IPS screens yet (or even 17" QHD IPS screens it seems), so you can either live with the TN 120 Hz screen option (which also has G-Sync enabled) or choose the Full HD or 4K 60 Hz IPS screens they offer as alternative options depending on your priorities (some even report the FHD one can be overclocked to 100 Hz).

Alienware do offer the OLED option for their 13" model, but for 15 and 17 there are simply no such displays yet.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a good TN panel. Yes, they're better than they once were, but in this case better is still terrible for anyone at all sensitive to color shift. It's just the nature of the tech.

Yes I know that, but it's not all about colors being accurate, the WHOLE screen no matter how calibrated just looks washed out and unusable after a high end 34inch curved 10 bit IPS panel and OLED TV from LG... Am I doing something wrong? I haven't sent it back yet, so there's still time to mess around with it.

No, you aren't doing anything wrong... You're just cursed with good eyes, and have seen better quality displays to compare it to. Not sure why we have so many TN fans around here.

How is this Alienware's fault?

There are no 120 Hz IPS screens yet (or even 17" QHD IPS screens it seems), so you can either live with the TN 120 Hz screen option (which also has G-Sync enabled) or choose the Full HD or 4K 60 Hz IPS screens they offer as alternative options depending on your priorities (some even report the FHD one can be overclocked to 100 Hz).

Alienware do offer the OLED option for their 13" model, but for 15 and 17 there are simply no such displays yet.

They don't offer the IPS 4K with the GTX 1080 and I7 6820, only with the GTX 1070 and I7 6700.... that's why I didn't go for it. 1070 isn't strong enough to max our games at 4K. Even 1080 would be struggling on max settings in games at 4k...

There is no such thing as a good TN panel. Yes, they're better than they once were, but in this case better is still terrible for anyone at all sensitive to color shift. It's just the nature of the tech.

No, you aren't doing anything wrong... You're just cursed with good eyes, and have seen better quality displays to compare it to. Not sure why we have so many TN fans around here.

I 100% agree with you! Never liked TN panels, thought it would be different being that it's been years and figured they'd have improved especially with G-sync and 120hz. Guess I was very wrong...

Sent the laptop back today... will probably just build a desktop with titan x pascal sli.. I also have a feeling the OLED gaming laptops are just around the corner and we will probably have them by the end of 2017.

Back