175.16 vs. 175.19 Performance

WhyYouLoveMe

Supreme [H]ardness
After reading a few disturbing reviews showing the 175.19 drivers performing much worse than the 175.16 I decided to do a test myself. The review sites use newer hardware than I have so I didn't know if their numbers applied to my situation. FYI I use DriverCleaner Pro after each driver change.

System Specs: Athlon X2 4800+ @ 2.72ghz, 2gb Corsair @ 227mhz, EVGA 8800GT KO @ stock (675mhz/1950mhz) with Accelero S1 passive, SB Audigy 2 ZS, Raptor 150, Windows XP Pro SP2 32-bit

Benchmark: Crysis @ 1280x1024 most settings high with some medium, no AA and no AF

175.19: Avg. 36.41, Max 43.91, Min 21.42
175.16: Avg. 38.87, Max 46.24, Min 20.98

There you have it. The 175.16 driver runs better on my system in Crysis, too!

I also played some Cod4 but I don't have a detailed benchmark comparison. I looked at the FPS number while playing it through the same spots and noticed the 175.16 FPS were a couple higher. Obviously this could be subjective so take it for what it's worth.

Hopefully this is helpful to others who have a similar setup.

Review link: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=194&Itemid=1

Every game my friend and I played with the 175.19 caused texture errors. It was horrible, even caused some compatability issues on mine. We both reverted as did nVidia on their website is 176.16 is now the current Forceware again:confused:

Looks like it's still 19 for Vista, rolled back to 16 for XP. Exactly how useful is WHQL?

I'm running the 175.19 (from 175.16) on Vista 32-bit and my sig rig. At first I did notice a drop in frames. I didn't do any detailed benchmarks, just tested a few games with the Precision FPS counter. Most games seemed unaffected really. The Nvidia human head demo runs slower for sure, but other stuff seemed fine. I haven't had any issues with textures or anything like that. Plays Crysis on all High, 1360x768 no AA with framerates in the mid 30's. I can enable 2x AA and still have a somewhat playable (~26fps) experience. I was not able to use AA at all with even remotely playable speeds before. So on low settings the old driver seemed faster, but with higher settings the new driver seemed better. Again, this was nothing scientific, but the driver is good enough that I didn't revert. Maybe it was just an XP issue, I don't know.

Also, I did have my computer crash the same night I installed the 175.19 driver. I was overclocking my GPU as well and I think that was what did it. But the drivers could have contributed so I figured I'd mention it.

I thought I had a virus last night as loading Gears of War kept causing my pc to reboot, but after running AdAware, Spybot and Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 I found out that it was the Nvidia driver (175.19) that caused it, and not just with GoW. Any game that I tried to load caused the pc to reboot.
I reinstalled 175.16 from the cdrom that came with the card and now everything is fine.
Anyone else have this issue?

I thought I had a virus last night as loading Gears of War kept causing my pc to reboot, but after running AdAware, Spybot and Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 I found out that it was the Nvidia driver (175.19) that caused it, and not just with GoW. Any game that I tried to load caused the pc to reboot.
I reinstalled 175.16 from the cdrom that came with the card and now everything is fine.
Anyone else have this issue?

I had an issue with the .19s with my PC just randomly screen blanking. This was happening after I attemted to mess with CUDA and PhysX drivers. Then I reverted to a clean image of my HD, installed just the .19s over .16s I had saved in the image, and its fine. Probably unrelated, just putting it in the thread in case anyone else was thinking they had a problem with this too.

I'm suggesting you guys try 177.70. Very nice performance & Image quality and no quirkiness so far.

I'm in Vista 64 + 175.19 and I did notice some problems with textures in Crysis. Will test with Beta drivers and see if they work better.

I would stay away from 175.19. I ran it for a few weeks now I reverted due to random glitches. If your current drivers work then don't bother with this release.

There is a known issue (that I experienced myself) with the 175.19 drivers and Age of Conan, at least under XP. Any time you enter a shader heavy area, framerates plummet. I experienced it first in the Keep in Tortage, and later in the Villas in the Noble District. Reverting to the 175.16 drivers solved the problem.

Back