1800FP or 1901FP

ScHpAnKy

2[H]4U
Which of these would you choose?
1901FP definately has the aesthetic advantage, but the 1800FP has better viewing angles, things like these make me want to shoot someone....so in your own personal preference which would you choose, and why?

I've had both and I'd tell ya mixed opinions so here goes...

what do you plan on doing with the LCD?

if you plan on doing any kind of gaming, I'd tell ya to get the 1800FP cuz it does a damn good job at keeping the ghosting issue down to a minimal. and I do mean minimal.

however, if you're not planning on doing much gaming then I'd go for the 1901FP cuz it has a really nice display and the up and down stand it sits on is really handy to have.

definately lots of gaming, I'm sick of hauling 6 ( :eek: ) CRT's to my LAN
Is ghosting a huge problem on the 1901FP?

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy
definately lots of gaming, I'm sick of hauling 6 ( :eek: ) CRT's to my LAN
Is ghosting a huge problem on the 1901FP?

No, its not at all for me, I've got both currently, and as long as you lock your refresh rates down properly, I don't see any real problems myself, I don't

The ghosting is almost noticable on the new 2001FPs, but I still love them so much.

looks like I'm getting a 1901FP

umm, I really dont think thats a wise choice for gaming but oh well....

I guess you'll see why soon enough.

Originally posted by srage2k2
The ghosting is almost noticable on the new 2001FPs, but I still love them so much.

huh?

do you mean you have the 1800, 1901 and the 2001FPs?

if so, then you must know that ghosting is 99.99999% non-existant on the 2001FP. the 1800FP comes in second place where ghosting is there but it is very, very minimal.

again, if you have the 1901FP, then you know you cant even compare it to either one of the mentioned LCDs above because it does have some ghosting issues.

Originally posted by ozziegn
huh?

do you mean you have the 1800, 1901 and the 2001FPs?

if so, then you must know that ghosting is 99.99999% non-existant on the 2001FP. the 1800FP comes in second place where ghosting is there but it is very, very minimal.

again, if you have the 1901FP, then you know you cant even compare it to either one of the mentioned LCDs above because it does have some ghosting issues.
Are you still sure you prefer the 1800FP over the 1901FP?
Because if it's really that good I'll get it instead...any idea how these monitors compare to the best Samsung 19" ?

Are you still sure you prefer the 1800FP over the 1901FP?
Because if it's really that good I'll get it instead...any idea how these monitors compare to the best Samsung 19" ?

look, here's the reason why I said what I said.

1. you said that you plan on doing lots of gaming with whatever you get. so if thats so, then I can almost promise you that you'll experience ghosting on the 1901FP. thats almost a fact. the 1901FP is a good LCD w/ a great picture display but it does in fact have ghosting issues. again, I've been there and done that.

2. the 1800FP's price tag can be quite a bit less if/when you buy one when Dell is having one of their smokin' hot deals. I think the cheapest I bought the 1800FP was something like $384 delivered and that was after sales tax. the cheapest I ever got a 1901FP was something like $465 delivered. again, that was also after sales tax.

-but you need to decide on what you think is best for you. dont let myself or whatever anyone else tells you be the determining factor cuz unless you're made of money, whatever you end up buying is something that you're gonna have to be stuck with for a while so you wanna make sure you'll be happy with your end decision.

Originally posted by ozziegn
look, here's the reason why I said what I said.

1. you said that you plan on doing lots of gaming with whatever you get. so if thats so, then I can almost promise you that you'll experience ghosting on the 1901FP. thats almost a fact. the 1901FP is a good LCD w/ a great picture display but it does in fact have ghosting issues. again, I've been there and done that.

Hey ozziegn, quick question, can you tell me which games you noticed the most "ghosting" on your 1901FP ? The only one that I noticed out of my collection that was really bad was Half-Life. I would like to set up a few of the bad ones (hopefully they have demos, or I can borrow them from a friend for the test) before the 2001FP arrives, just so I can get a back-to-back comparison in this area.

Originally posted by FragMagnet
Hey ozziegn, quick question, can you tell me which games you noticed the most "ghosting" on your 1901FP ? The only one that I noticed out of my collection that was really bad was Half-Life. I would like to set up a few of the bad ones (hopefully they have demos, or I can borrow them from a friend for the test) before the 2001FP arrives, just so I can get a back-to-back comparison in this area.

see, thats the thing.

I dont (hardly) play games too much and if/when I do, I only play UT2003 which isnt quite as hard on LCDs like CS or stuff like Max Payne. for some reason, those games are really brutal on LCDs so if you think your LCD doesnt have any ghosting, just play one of those games. if you see lots of blurring and what not, then you have your answer already.

again, I did notice ghosting on my 1901FP while I played UT2003. it wasnt that bad but it was there. now, if I can notice ghosting on UT2003 which isnt as hard on LCDs as games like CS or Max Payne, then you know it would only be all that much worse if I did play those games on the 1901FP.

again, the 1901FP is a nice LCD but I would hardly consider it a gaming LCD. I dont think I've ever heard of any 19" LCD that was considered a good gaming LCD.

Thanks, I usualy play UT2K3, and most often the Phobos moon level. The only thing I notice is a slight "flickering" of the grates. I don't notice anything on Nascar 2003 either. For me the biggest problem I noticed in Half-Life was the red crosses on the first aid kits, which would smear. Since UT2K3 doesn't struggle with reds, I just thought it was the way HL was programmed, since they use alot of sprites. Being an older game designed for older v.cards, I had hoped that method of programming had fallen by the wayside. But I also heard Jedi Knight and Halo were bad as well. So I'll try to find someone locally for them, who will come over and load them up for a test. I can't be bothered d/l ing Halo as it's the low res version only (so I heard) and it struggles on most pc's to hit 60fps, which I think is the key to LCDS. If you can keep the minimum fps @ 60 and use vsync, it greatly reduces the ghosting. I also heard that if your comp room is very cool/cold it will make the ghosting worse, as well. But I haven't tried that yet.

When I went from 75 to 60Hz on my 1901FP (at 1280x1024) the ghosting went way down. I don't even notice it now when playing Call of Duty.

The 1901 is a beautiful monitor with a great image. I had it and the vp171b. I sent the 1901 back because the ghosting bothered me too much. Dont listen to any one who says, "I dont see any ghosting" My 7 year old plays lots of games and he noticed the ghosting big time. As a matter of fact he noticed it so much that when I had the 1901 and the vp171b he would ask me to turn on the vp171b when he was playing Jedi Outcast. Consider he is 7 and that monitor is smaller..........Pop in Halflife and see what I mean. Other than the ghosting it is a beautiful image. Maybe alright for driving sims. I then got the vp171b but had buyers remourse because of the size monitor I got for the price. I paid $442 at Dell for a 17" lcd and that was really good for what I got. A friend I built a computer for bought that from me and now I have a NEC FP2141sb. It is the best for gaming but it is big. Good Luck!

I have the 1901FP and I do a lot of gaming, especially several FPS-games such as BF1942, CS, Call of Duty, Ut2003 etc.

The "ghosting" doesn't bother me at all. I don't know how do you define "a good gaming LCD". Maybe it's not the best for gaming that there is but it's definitely NOT bad :)

I have an 1800fp its so nice for gaming. I play bf1942, DC, TS, CS, NS, Some sven co-op

Originally posted by gplracer
Dont listen to any one who says,
Consider he is 7

So ignore what everyone says, and trust the judgement of a 7 yr.old ??? Was he the one who initialy set up the monitor ?

:rolleyes:

Before anyone thinks I'm being overly pissy with gplracer, here are some of his posts when he got his 1901FP:
They are from this thread
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=50009562&f=67909965&m=4190936913&p=83

Here are some of his quotes,
"I really like the monitor. At first I thought there was no ghosting at all. There is ghosting in Jedi Outcast and Medal of Honor. It is playable and not that bad but it is present. It is much better than the Samsung that I saw at Best Buy although that one was not using the DVI jack. I play mostly racing games and there really is no ghosting at all in those. It is mainly the darker games like the fps games. I also did not notice any ghosting in dvds Lord of the Rings or Star Wars Episode II. They look really good and really bright compared to my old 19" CTX CRT. I wish I could give more information but I have never used a LCD monitor before. I would assume from the avi test that the 1800fp has less ghosting. So if you play a lot of fps games it might be better. I like the size of the monitor. I like the colors and the images. Racing games are real bright so I do not think the response time is as much of a factor. I can still play fps but there is a small amount of ghosting. Incidently, I saw the Samsung at Best Buy before I got this and there was no way I was going to buy it. The ghosting was real bad!"

"I am still trying to decide on whether or not to keep the Dell 1901fp. Why does it not ghost at all in racing games and quake 3 but elite force II looks terrible! The ghosting is real bad. Medal of honor is not that bad either. All of the games are set to the default resolution and 75hz refresh. I would hate to think that I could not play half-life 2 when it comes out."

"My 1901fp looks great! It is very bright. Most games show no ghosting. Racing games look great. Also Battlefield 1942 and Quake 3 look great! I am going to try counterstrike tonight. I did notice a good deal of ghosting in the Elite Force II demo. I do not know why the other games did not ghost but this one did. Maybe it has something to do with a setting in the demo that can not be adjusted. I do not know. The colors are much more rich and vibrant than my old 19" CRT. I was hoping to hear some more from skip too. Skip can you try the Elite Force II demo. Can anyone with a LCD try it? I would just like to know what others think of it. I do notice that things in the background tend to blur just a litte when things are moving real fast. I guess this has to do with the response time. Although as I said there is little or almost no ghosting in most games. It is the games with a lot of gray that are the worst. I will probably keep this monitor because I hear the text quality is better than the 1800fp and really most games look good. I think if I decided to send it back I would get the viewsonic with 16ms response time. The only thing is that monitor is a 17". I do not think I can go down in size. I think this will be a keeper."

"
1901fp - This montitor is really nice. The colors are excellent. The size is great. It is definitely the best choice for surfing the web. As a matter of fact the only downside is the respone time. I
do believe the stated response time of 25ms is correct. In most games there is not ghosting. I played Quake III, Jedi Outcast, Battlefield 1942, Grand Prix Legends, Star Trek Elite Force II, Formula One Challenge, and Starlancer. As a matter of fact the only game that showed true ghosting was Elite Force II. That game has a tremendous amount of gray in it. There was definitely visible ghosting. I do not know if I could play that game becuase of the ghosting. In most other games the slow response time is seen as blurring not ghosting. For instance in Quake III when one is running the walls seem to blur a little. I saw the same effect in other games too. Once one stops the walls become more clear. You have to look for this and some people may not notice it. On one final note my wife likes the look and size of the 1901 over the vp171b. "

Now these quotes are in chronological order, does his opinion match what he posted in this thread :rolleyes:
And yes, as you noted that when using 75Hz as a refresh rate on a 25ms panel. IT WILL GHOST ! 16ms is required for perfect 60Hz. This has the same result as forcing a 25ms panel to 40ms operation.
When set-up properly, the average gamer probably won't notice it, unless they screw-up the set-up.

Back