19" LCD, $189 after MIR, 8Ms, DVI & VGA

I'll get the standard "TigerDirect Rebates! Oh Noes!!!!one11" out of the way, but that a nice price.

The product description is a classic though. Somebody, somewhere took one too many marketing classes. :)

Product review says its available at bestbuy if you wanted to see it in person.

I posted this and am looking for some guidance before I pull the trigger. The hannspree site does not have this monitor on the site, nor can I find it on their support site. The specs are good but I wish it had a headphone jack. The price is very low.

Yeah, I know about the Tiger Direct rebate issue. I hate MIR. but even without the rebate this unit is cheap $259 before $70 MIR)

Can anyone shed some light on this unit?

Ray

Hmm... integrated speakers too? May be a good buy for a new build for my sister.

However, it looks like a TN Film panel based on the 16.2mil colors and low-ish viewing angles. That would bug the hell out of her.

hmm... *ponders*

Office Depot has the KDS 19" LCD on sake this week for $225 after rebates. It has a 3 year warranty as well. I'd trust KDS before the one in this thread anyday of the week as far as warranty goes. No DVI on the KDS though.

handspree?? what a strange and totally unstylish brand name for gear. I mean, think about it... "hand spree".... what could that mean...

spree - A sudden indulgence in or outburst of an activity.

oh.... and TIGERDIRECT REBATES ARE HORRIBLE.

I think the Gorilla looks better then the monitor. Not a bad price though - you can remove the LCD from the plastic bezel and make a custom install - say behind your bathroom mirror and have a nice 19" LCD to watch the morning weather or traffic on. :D

Well I bit...

I will report back once I receive it. This is my first purchase from TD.

I do think it's ugly. But hey it's a good price.

IT is ugly!!
LOL, i would imagine that is why there is such a large rebate on it.. or why the price is so low. People don't like having to stare at ugly things, so it probably wasn't selling well.

Hey JaYp146,

GREAT FIND!!!!

I would buy the Fujistu any day. Did you post that as a hot deal?

OOOOOOOO..... that Fujiplus is an excellent deal... much better than that FUGLY LCD...
Defidently a HOT deal...
I will blaze one to that hot deal.

Roberty said:
Office Depot has the KDS 19" LCD on sake this week for $225 after rebates. It has a 3 year warranty as well. I'd trust KDS before the one in this thread anyday of the week as far as warranty goes. No DVI on the KDS though.

Thats a very nice monitor. I bought one last summer for $250 after MIR, and my dad got the same model for $280 with an external TV tuner. Very nice design, no dead pixels on either, very good picture. Slight downside with no DVI, and I have noticed some ghosting when speeding with nitro in a sports car on the freeway in GTA:SA, but in all my other games nothing. I would propably go with the KDS just to avoid the Tigerdirect rebate, and to avoid that ugly design in favor of the better looking KDS screen.

WGITV said:
Hey JaYp146,

GREAT FIND!!!!

I would buy the Fujistu any day. Did you post that as a hot deal?

Didn't post it as a [H]ot deal due to the fact that I've seen it at this price (after MIR) a few times before @ the Egg...but yeah, definitely a good deal on a budget LCD :p

Note: brand name is Fujiplus, not Fujitsu ;) .

Several reports say you won't get the rebate from FujiPlus. You'll have to fight for it, and it will take 3 months.

I received my FujiPlus rebate in about 3 months. A very unprofessional handwritten business/personal check that looked to be signed by a toddler :D Hey...it cashed though, didn't it?

BTW, no dead pixels and really nice bright picture.

I'm really really close to biting on that 19" FugiPlus monitor. If i call and herass them daily, you think I would get my rebate faster?

I know a lot of companies fudge their response time.. but that Fujiplus is a 12 MS vs. the Ugly 8MS.

My Fugly one should be here on Tuesday and hopefully by Wednesday I will have tested it out in BF2 and some movies and report back.

Sinster said:
I know a lot of companies fudge their response time.. but that Fujiplus is a 12 MS vs. the Ugly 8MS.
Fudge isn't the word. 8ms vs 12ms is virtually meaningless by itself as a comparison. Many 16ms will outperform an 8ms depending on the task at hand. It's likely that neither will ghost so deciding factors will come down to things like contrast ratios, black levels, backlight leakage, brightness, and especially color depth (6-bit vs 8-bit) although at this price point I expect both to be 6-bit panels (which I can't tolerate for gaming and photo work but would be okay for desktop work).

Heh, looks like I started a trend...sorry,OP :D .

However, the credit still goes to you for bringing up a [H]ot deal on a 19" LCD monitor.

Malatov said:
Fudge isn't the word. 8ms vs 12ms is virtually meaningless by itself as a comparison. Many 16ms will outperform an 8ms depending on the task at hand. It's likely that neither will ghost so deciding factors will come down to things like contrast ratios, black levels, backlight leakage, brightness, and especially color depth (6-bit vs 8-bit) although at this price point I expect both to be 6-bit panels (which I can't tolerate for gaming and photo work but would be okay for desktop work).

I did a little more research (Checking out the Pictures on Tigerdirect) and the box states that it's a HannG = HannStar (which I think makes LCD for Compaq) monitor.. however I can't find this product on their website http://www.hannsg.com/english/index.html however the rest of the line up is 8 bit but of course that doesn't mean jack.

Thank You for finding such a deal OP.

Received my lcd today and I must say that it's well worth the 189... I just finished playing Q2 with my intel graphic board here at work.. I wanted to check it out. No ghosting what soever.. however the real test will be when I get home and try it on my 6800Ultra w/DVI in BF2.

I have no dead pixels that I can see...

Ran Pixel Buddy and I have no dead pixels..

BTW it's not as Fugly as the picture portrays.

Here's my review.

well I just played some UT2K4, BF2 and CSS @ 1280x1024 and I didn't get any ghosting or blurring. The only thing I notice if I go lower than 1280x1024 my screen pulsates or flickers.. I don't know if I have some interference around or not. But running Q2 @ 1024x768 w/VGA I didn't get it at work. Here at home on my 6800 Ultra w/DVI @ 1024x768 I get it. But all in all I think this isn't a bad LCD for 189.99.. if I get my rebate :) ..

Thanks again OP!!!!!!!!!

No worries on the 2MP - I just wanna get a better idea of how fugly it may or may not be. :D

-bZj

Down8 said:
No worries on the 2MP - I just wanna get a better idea of how fugly it may or may not be. :D

-bZj

The Picture on TD makes it look Fugly... It looks pretty good..

I also played COD2 and FEAR.... .Fear I only played in 1024 x 768 and it still look good and without that flickering I mentioned before. COD2 was of course played in 1280x1024...

Sinster said:
Here's my review.

well I just played some UT2K4, BF2 and CSS @ 1280x1024 and I didn't get any ghosting or blurring. The only thing I notice if I go lower than 1280x1024 my screen pulsates or flickers.. I don't know if I have some interference around or not. But running Q2 @ 1024x768 w/VGA I didn't get it at work. Here at home on my 6800 Ultra w/DVI @ 1024x768 I get it. But all in all I think this isn't a bad LCD for 189.99.. if I get my rebate :) ..

Thanks again OP!!!!!!!!!

I found that to really look for ghosting, BF2 is an excellent choice - look for the inlaid CP's flags - since they are either red for the PLO, a noticeable red white and blue for marines, and yellow for MEC, it shows up VERY VERY well if your monitor is ghosting at all. I know I bought someone a cheap 19 for x-mas and while I didn't notice *much* ghosting anywhere else, the flags really gave it away.

Here is the picture... I need to clean my desk :) I had to use the flash as you can tell.

lcd.jpg

FYI: For those who didn't jump on this because of you'll be lucky if you get the "Rebate" from TD. I would like to inform you that I did receive my rebate today which I submitted on 1/11/06 and mailed 1/12/2006.

Sinster said:
FYI: For those who didn't jump on this because of you'll be lucky if you get the "Rebate" from TD. I would like to inform you that I did receive my rebate today which I submitted on 1/11/06 and mailed 1/12/2006.
I'm one of those people who keep telling folks that bad TD rebates are a thing of the distant past, but people wanna believe what they wanna believe. I've never had a problem with TD rebates, and now they're guaranteed anyway.

Still, that's amazingly fast!

Hmm...I would like an LCD. Speakers do make an LCD look a bit ugly, but no one says you have to use them. I guess it's a bonus to have backup speakers in the case something happened to yours. Maybe I will jump on one of these.

Edit - Nevermind, the item is no longer available...

Thanks,
Jared

It's back again. The 189 deal that is. soooo tempted to buy it. if only it looked better...

I don't think the monitor looks bad really...yeah it has speakers, which I wouldn't prefer, but who cares. As long as the screen functions well, that is what you look at, not the bezel of the monitor when you play games or what not. The pictures on Tiger Direct I think are better to look at than the one posted. Looks pretty good.

Jared

Back