19' Wide Screen

I'm thinking about getting a 19'' wide screen and I was just wondering how older 4:3 aspect games would work on them. Does anyone know?

I'm looking at the Hanns 19'' WS.

If you're talking about performance...you should have an easier time running games at the native res of a 19" versus a 1680x1050 20" WS. If you're talking about the widescreen resolution itself then it will depend on the game supporting it or hacks available....if you have an Nvidia video card you can also do res scaling through the Forceware drivers to run games at 4:3 resolutions with black bars to the side.

I do not think there are any 19" widescreen lcd that have 1:1 pixel scaling which is needed for older 4:3 games (so it does not stretch and adds black bars). To get around this you need an nvidea graphics card (it has options for 1:1 pixel scaling). If you have an ati card, then you 4:3 game will be stretched to fill the 16:10 screen (no 1:1 pixel scaling). Most newer games support Widescreen so there is no issue with them.

If you get a 19" widescreen, I would recommend the Samsung 940BW and 941BW. They are excellent lcds.

Back