1920x1200 IPS Standard Gamut

kvcrawford

n00b
Hey Everybody,
About a year ago I searched and searched for the perfect monitor and ended up settling on the 26" Planar PX2611. What a mistake! The wide gamut is a huge problem for me. Also, the pixel density is too low, and everything looks a little bit grainy/sparkly (the anti-glare coating?). The low input lag is nice, though, and I'm considering trying to set it up with my xBox360.

I'm now looking for something to replace it. I would like:
  • 1920x1200 resolution (or higher)
  • IPS panel
  • Standard gamut
  • Matte finish
  • No input lag
  • High pixel density - the closer to my 15" MBP's 110 PPI, the better

It seems my options are still rather limited... I am considering
  • NEC 2490 - $1000
  • Used 23" Apple Cinema Display - ?
  • Is there anything else?

I am hesitant to buy a used LCD, but I am thinking that a used 23" ACD is my best bet, short of dropping $1k on the NEC. Also, I am a tiny bit concerned about input lag on the NEC, although I believe it isn't very noticeable? What are your thoughts? I appreciate any input!

I have a 2690, which I believe has the same amount of lag (2 frames) and I don't notice it. Others may, but I don't seem to. The ACD would give you a slightly higher pixel density. I dunno what it's input lag is. However two problems you'd have are that it has no controls on the screen, it assumes the computer will control it, and it is a bit of a slow panel, by today's standards, meaning maybe some ghosting.

Sony had a monitor, the Sony SDM-P234 I think, that used the same panel as the 23" ACD. That'd get you controls on the monitor, though no faster response. Again you'd have to buy used and I don't know what the lag is.

If time is not a factor, you may want to wait until Dell and LG announce what they may release soon. Dell's 2010 line should be announced in the next few weeks, and LG may be bringing the W2x20P line to North America (If you're in the EU ignore the LG).

Dell might be bringing a monitor or two of the type you're thinking, and the W2x20P line (22" and 24") are both 1920x1200 with at least 2 HDMI-in ports. See the "Bring the L2420P to North America!" thread by 10e. There's lots of information there.

Input lag on the 23" ACD shouldn't be a problem. It's an IPS without extra internal hardware that the NEC has, so it should have less input lag.

I have a macbook pro, so will it be able to sufficiently manipulate the ACD settings?

I pretty much just do web development and web design in photoshop. I occasionally watch video as well. Would ghosting occur while watching videos? What is it like? I've never experienced ghosting on a monitor. I use a Dell 2007FP at work, which is excellent, and I believe it has the same 16ms response time.

The NEC 2690WUXi is wide gamut and it uses the same H-IPS panel as the Planar PX2611w.

To the OP,

The Planar PX2611w has a known color banding issue when playing console games at 1080p.

@JaguarSKX

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know how bad it is? Hopefully it won't bother me while gaming... but do you know if it occurs while watching DVDs? Or streaming video via xbox live or NetFlix?

I appreciate all your input guys, thanks a lot.

It seems my options are still rather limited... I am considering
  • NEC 2490 - $1000
  • Used 23" Apple Cinema Display - ?
  • Is there anything else?

Unfortunately I think you have it covered. I am hoping for 24 inch IPS like this from Dell. Already have an NEC 2490 and I love it, but I won't spend that much to have a second. But I wouldn't mind getting another 24" IPS sRGB if someone made one for a decent price.

This isn't really what you're looking for, but I'll throw it out. Someone might find it useful. TechforLess has some refurbished versions of the 1600x1200 version of the 2490, at 20-inch and 21-inch, at a pretty nice price (around $500).

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/LCD2090UXI-BK?id=5vnfBHFB&mv_pc=668
http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/LCD2190UXI-BK?id=5vnfBHFB&mv_pc=671

The specs (standard gamut, IPS, input lag, response time) should be exactly the same as the 2490, its just at a 4:3 resolution instead of 16:10. TechforLess also sometimes has refurbished 2490s for cheap, just not right now. Might be worth keep an eye out (or calling in and asking if some more will be coming in any time soon).

$500 for a 20 inch seems unconscionably steep. Are you doing professional photo editing or are you just using it for general purpose? There's no way I'd recommend a $500 20" professional grade monitor for general usage.

@JaguarSKX

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know how bad it is? Hopefully it won't bother me while gaming... but do you know if it occurs while watching DVDs? Or streaming video via xbox live or NetFlix?

Color banding only occurs when playing console games @ 1080i/p. I can't tell you how bad it is because I don't play console games.

See following review:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...task=view&id=84&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3

One unfortunate note: There is undesirable color banding at 'real' (1 to 1) mode at 1080p and 1080i (1920x1080). This applies to devices like a PS3 or cable boxes or any device that sends a 1080p or 1080i "high definition" signal to the display. The banding is not visible in movies but it is in games. The banding disappears in 'full' aspect mode. This means that you might notice some quality loss at 1 to 1 in those modes. If you use 'full' aspect mode, the image will be stretched vertically some but have no banding. These modes are the only ones where I noticed the banding. Native 1920x1200 doesn't have that banding nor does any other resolution I tested. Planar could perhaps release a firmware update to fix the 1080p/1080i color banding if enough people complain. To be as clear as possible: the color banding does not happen with PC's or Macs at 1920x1200 at 32bit color when DV mode is at the default TEXT mode even if you are playing a movie or game.

The Dell 2410U is out, at least in Dell Japan.

http://translate.google.com/transla...0&s=bsd&cs=jpbsd1&sl=ja&tl=en&history_state0=

The pricing in Japan is weird. It's the same price as the 2408WFP and the 2707W, both about 70k Yen. But in the US, those monitors are around 450 and 850, respectively, so the price is probably in that range somewhere, probably 700 to start, just guessing? At least until they clear the 2408 stock.

Back