1950XTX Crossfire - Driver issues

UltimaBoB

Limp Gawd
My computer shop is saying they are having trouble with the crossfire drivers for two 1950s - something about catalyst 6.9 not being stable and waiting for 6.10.

I have the crossfire edition with the connectors etc... master/slave yep.

I am teaching in korea and according to the large computer shop chain I have the very first 1950XTX Crossfire edition purchased in korea. They are setting up my computer now but tell me that their 3d Mark scores keep jumping all over the place from ~16,000 to ~12,000 and they are not sure if crossfire is staying active.

Can this be right?

Hmmm...but they have the 1950s working...so maybe they used the drivers in the CDs in the HIS 1950 box - or something. The issue seems to be getting crossfire to fire.

I just want to be clear - would these drivers just allow the 1950s to work (iow I'd get one of them to work) or would they let me crossfire them like I want and should be able to?

And these drivers are better than the ones in the box that the GPUs come with?

UltimaBoB said:
I just want to be clear - would these drivers just allow the 1950s to work (iow I'd get one of them to work) or would they let me crossfire them like I want and should be able to?

And these drivers are better than the ones in the box that the GPUs come with?

As far as I know, these drivers will all support a Crossfire setup just fine. The drivers in the box are catalyst 6.8, usually later version of the drivers work better but not always.

Right now I have my x1950xtx Crossfire master and slave cards sitting on my kitchen table waiting for the weekend when I'll install them. I was just sharing my research so far. I haven't read any reports of serious Crossfire problems with any of these driver versions.

I don't follow the drivers in the 1950XTX boxes are modified 6.8s w/ 1950XTX support added on (since normal 6.8s don't support them)?

Normal 6.9s also don't support 1950s - but the modified 6.9s you linked me to do? And 6.10 Beta does as well?

So what is your plan? What are you gonna use as drivers?

Thanks for the help.

UltimaBoB said:
I don't follow the drivers in the 1950XTX boxes are modified 6.8s w/ 1950XTX support added on (since normal 6.8s don't support them)?

Normal 6.9s also don't support 1950s - but the modified 6.9s you linked me to do? And 6.10 Beta does as well?

So what is your plan? What are you gonna use as drivers?

Thanks for the help.

Both my 1950XTX's came with 6.7's modified to work. One is ATI retail the other is a powercolor. No official finalized drivers are available for download that support the 1950's yet just those modified by the MFG or users.

UltimaBoB said:
My computer shop is saying they are having trouble with the crossfire drivers for two 1950s - something about catalyst 6.9 not being stable and waiting for 6.10.

I have the crossfire edition with the connectors etc... master/slave yep.

I am teaching in korea and according to the large computer shop chain I have the very first 1950XTX Crossfire edition purchased in korea. They are setting up my computer now but tell me that their 3d Mark scores keep jumping all over the place from ~16,000 to ~12,000 and they are not sure if crossfire is staying active.

Can this be right?

I get early sample ATI cards (for testing) so I have had X1950 XTX CF for some time. There is no known issue with 6.9 and CF. They need to look for some other trouble. One issue I have found is 3Dmark05 and 06 benching strange on some boards with an XFI card installed. I have had this trouble on the 975XBX boards as well as with X1900 CF too. (Typically shows up in Canyon Flight) It does not show up in games so only sucks if you are a benchmark junkie. A retail boxed card should have come with a copy of Cat 6.9 with the INFs for X1950 XTX. I have a legit copy of 6.10 beta (I cannot give them out so please don't ask) and they behave the same as 6.9. (No major trouble.)

BTW X1950Pro is pretty nice for those looking for a mid range card. I have had a set in testing for about a month.

UltimaBoB said:
What are you gonna use as drivers?

6.10 betas, from the link i gave earlier. That was always my plan, but it's nice to see that AACDIRECT says he has no problems with them and a 1950 crossfire setup.

XBrit said:
6.10 betas, from the link i gave earlier. That was always my plan, but it's nice to see that AACDIRECT says he has no problems with them and a 1950 crossfire setup.

My 6.10 beta is not the one from the ATI website. But they are of the same driver set so they should work fine. :)

AACDIRECT said:
I get early sample ATI cards (for testing) so I have had X1950 XTX CF for some time. There is no known issue with 6.9 and CF. They need to look for some other trouble. One issue I have found is 3Dmark05 and 06 benching strange on some boards with an XFI card installed. I have had this trouble on the 975XBX boards as well as with X1900 CF too. (Typically shows up in Canyon Flight) It does not show up in games so only sucks if you are a benchmark junkie. A retail boxed card should have come with a copy of Cat 6.9 with the INFs for X1950 XTX. I have a legit copy of 6.10 beta (I cannot give them out so please don't ask) and they behave the same as 6.9. (No major trouble.)

BTW X1950Pro is pretty nice for those looking for a mid range card. I have had a set in testing for about a month.

Holy crap... I saw what you are describing on canyon flight.. when the dragon jumps out of the water and goes over the ship.. the screen gets all crazy.. I fixed it with a bios change and a lockdown of the pci-e frequency to 100mhz.. (I think auto had it closer to 110 because my fsb is near 400). Anyways... I was worried that one of my cards was bad.. whew. glad to know it's a "sort of" known issue.

EDIT: I was about to put an X-FI in my crossfire system.. do you think that's not wise? what issues were you seeing?

revenant said:
Holy crap... I saw what you are describing on canyon flight.. when the dragon jumps out of the water and goes over the ship.. the screen gets all crazy.. I fixed it with a bios change and a lockdown of the pci-e frequency to 100mhz.. (I think auto had it closer to 110 because my fsb is near 400). Anyways... I was worried that one of my cards was bad.. whew. glad to know it's a "sort of" known issue.

EDIT: I was about to put an X-FI in my crossfire system.. do you think that's not wise? what issues were you seeing?

The issue you described can occur just by adding an X-FI card. It does not affect any games just 3dmark. So it is not really a big deal unless you benchmark a bunch.

Your "fix" has me wondering. I will pass that information on to ATI.

6.9 standard would not recognize the 1950s.

We tried 6.10 beta and it recognized the 1950s but would not ennable crossfire consistently on the ATI control panel (did not try a 3DMark to see if they actually were running)

I finally went with the modified 6.8s included with my HIS cards and they worked fine. Even with an X-Fi card (and the 3DMark issues you raised here happened to me) I scored a 10,500 or so on '06 3DMark which is inline with what I should get given absolutely no overclocking of anything and older drivers.

However, I want to play oblivion this weekend. Should I just get the chuck patch and go with my 6.8s until the real 6.10s come out - or do you think the techie screwed up and 6.10 betas should be faster, have the chuck patch already, and work fine for me?

What about the 6.9 modded - what is better for me?

I have seen the exact same problem with Canyon flight on my machine. I get a 10980 in 3D Mark 2006 with Crossfire enabled. I have my video cards running at stock speeds and my processor is sitting at 2.88GHz at the moment.

I also have the Creative X-Fi card installed as well.

UltimaBoB said:
You are running 2x 1950xtx Dan?

What drivers?

Yes I am running dual X1950XTX's.

At first I ran the hacked 6.9 drivers with the modified .inf files. Now I am running 6.10 Beta drivers.

Thanks bud. We sound like we are running similar systems with you haveing the 6800 to my measly 6700 :)

I have p5w DH Deluxe, X-Fi, 2 GB DDR-800 ram, 2 x HIS 1950XTX, E6700 and am not overclocking anything. One of your posts said you are running scores around 11,000 in 3D Mark06 and not OCing. So if I am running a few hundred behind you then that would be for the CPU difference and all is well.

I think I will hold on for 6.10s next week at this point. Thanks.

BTW I'm running P-180 case and no thermal gluey stuff or extra fans or coolers on anything. You think I should be okay with E6700 and tow 1950s? How hot do you run? Do you have extra cooling?

UltimaBoB said:
Thanks bud. We sound like we are running similar systems with you haveing the 6800 to my measly 6700 :)

I have p5w DH Deluxe, X-Fi, 2 GB DDR-800 ram, 2 x HIS 1950XTX, E6700 and am not overclocking anything. One of your posts said you are running scores around 11,000 in 3D Mark06 and not OCing. So if I am running a few hundred behind you then that would be for the CPU difference and all is well.

I think I will hold on for 6.10s next week at this point. Thanks.

BTW I'm running P-180 case and no thermal gluey stuff or extra fans or coolers on anything. You think I should be okay with E6700 and tow 1950s? How hot do you run? Do you have extra cooling?

Actually I am running an overclocked E6600 @ 2.88GHz. So no X6800 for me.

My system runs pretty cool. under load my CPU is running about 47c under load and 39-41c idle. Granted those temps are reported by Ai Booster. For my CPU cooling needs I am using the Zalman CNPS9500 AT

I am using the Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 case which has some of the best airflow you could have in a case. The only case I've found that is a lot better is the Coolermaster Stacker 830. Which I have considered upgrading to. As far as installing dual X1950XTX's you should be fine. The Core 2 Duo's run pretty cool compared to most other CPU's so I'd say go for it.

Back