1k to spend.....

Vonstar

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming, Video editing, photoshop etc

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

1,000 before taxes(ie tax/shipping dont matter)

3) Where do you live?

South carolina

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.

CPU,RAM,Case, PSU, HD, Video Card, MOBO

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Not reusing any parts.

6) Will you be overclocking?

yes

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

I have a 19inch monitor but planning on a 24+ inch later on.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

1 month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

I would like SLI support for future upgrades.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

Already have a legit 64bit win 7 copy.

I have some ideas, but I would like any and all input from you guys. Thanks in advance for your time. Also, I am pretty set on going intel i7 920 for this build. So please keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Have you checked out some of the $1000 build threads that were posted recently?

May I ask what a Core i7 920 offers that either the Core i7 860 or Xeon X3440 don't?

And what makes you believe that SLI would be a good option?

Well I want to go i7 920 so that in the future I will be able to upgrade as wanted/needed.....and the 920 is the cheapest 1366 socket available. And I said in the future I would like to have the option to upgrade to SLI if I wanted to. Im not saying I am going to but I would like to keep that option open.

You didn't really answer my questions.

I know that you mentioned that you're planning to buy a 24" monitor at some point in the future. When are you going to buy it? Which monitor(s) are you considering? If you aren't going to buy/use a high resolution monitor (of at least 1920x1080) within the next 12 months, you don't necessarily need a board that supports CrossFire or SLI. That said, many Socket 1366 X58-based boards support both technologies, but buying the Core i7 920, one of those boards, and a 3x2GB DDR3 tri-channel kit could easily eat up at least half of your $1000 budget.

Again, why SLI? Currently, ATI owns the high-end market and we don't really know when (or even if) Nvidia will make a proper response. Additionally, many of us here don't recommend SLI or CF for resolutions under 1920x1080 as there are plenty of single-GPU cards capable of providing excellent gaming performance at resolutions of 1920x1080 or lower. I know you said that you would like to keep that option open, but is there any other reason why you prefer an SLI board?

With the Core i7 920, an X58 board that supports CF and SLI, and a 3x2GB DDR3 tri-channel kit taking up at least half of your budget (though likely more than that), do you really need Socket 1366/X58? Intel's Socket 1156 boards and processors are good alternatives, and if you're really insistent on having proper CF/SLI support, you may want to consider an AMD-based system so you could place more of your budget towards high-end video cards.

Please answer the questions that I've highlighted as your answers will help us recommend the best parts we could find for your budget.

Yes I am planning on gettin a monitor with high resolution....however it will more than likely not be for atleast 6-8 months(no specific monitor in mind).

So as I said I would like crossfire/sli(in the future) but it is not a deal killer if its not there. I guess I am just an nvidia fanboy, the one time I went ati I had a terrible experience with the card and would rather not go that route unless the price/performance is killer. I was thinking of going 260gtx for the card as its priced nicely and can handle what I need it to at the moment.

AMD Is really not an option as I do alot of video encoding and video editing work. And from the reviews and benchmarks I have seen the 920 has killed the pII in all categories. The amd's just have not performed to where I would like for what I need. And I would like to not have to upgrade again for a several years.

With your $1000 budget, it would be better for you to go with a P55-based build:

$427 - Intel Core i7 860 and Asus P7P55D PRO combo deal (free shipping on both)
$195 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series 2x2GB DDR3 1600 dual-channel kit and Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W PSU combo deal (free shipping on memory)
$40 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler and Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVD burner combo deal
$100 - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD (free shipping)
$170 - XFX Radeon HD5770 video card (free shipping)
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 310 ATX mid-tower case (free shipping)
=====
$972 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

The processor is a Core i7 quad-core that supports Hyper-Threading. The motherboard is more expensive than what I usually recommend (at that price point and beyond, it's more practical to go with a Socket 1366 X58 board), but it supports both SLI and CrossFire. The board doesn't have any SATA III or USB 3.0 ports, but they're nothing that an add-on card couldn't fix.

I tried to take advantage of as many free shipping specials and combo deals as I could find. If you want a Socket 1366-based setup, it could cost considerably more:

$479 - Intel Core i7 920 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R combo deal (free shipping on both)
$165 - G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 tri-channel kit (free shipping)
$290 - Corsair HX750 750W PSU and Sapphire Radeon HD5770 video card combo deal
$180 - (keep everything else -- CPU cooler, HDD, optical drive, and case --the same)
=====
$1114 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

For the video card, I went with the ATI Radeon HD5770, which performs about as well as the GTX 260 but costs less. However, I recommend that you reuse your old video card for now and buy a new video card at around the same time that you buy your new monitor. The GTX 260 and HD5770 are both overkill for your 19" monitor; a decent $100 card (like the HD5670) would be more than enough for it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back