1st look on asus P5K-VM: G33 matx board

Technically it is a requirement, but you can generally run it with less. You can also run a low mem multi, if necessary.

The plan is to get this mobo and a c2d w/1066fsb (depends on prices when the 22nd comes around)...combined with DDR2 1066 (PC2-8500)...

From what I read everything should be straight and work out of the box, unless I am missing something...heh

A lot of places are already selling e6x50's, which sport the new g0 stepping. Should net significantly better overclocking results.

e6750 has 8x multi, so 8x500=4000 1:1 would be a good goal.

decent price too, at about $210 or so shipped

yes, having the new step G0, they will dissipate less heat!!! So better margin for ocing...
Those new e6x50 are a perfect match with G33 and the q6600 (G0) too!

Well, I was considering getting the E6600 with the P5K-VM. The reason why was because I figure if for some reason I cant get a good OC (3GHz as my minimum target)I would still have 2.4GHz stock to use. Which isn't too shabby IMHO. So the users here that seem to be in the know are suggesting getting the newer 'half chips' instead? Which in my case is a 6650 I think. I need to look at these newer chips and see what exactly they can or cant do.

Edit: I was going to use those Ballistix RAM, Pvhk has been using for testing, and put it all in a Qmicra v1 with a 9500hsf.

don't think there exists a 6650.

that said, 6750 would run you around $210 at the moment, and would probably be your best bet. should easily get to 3.6 for you if not more

AnandTech has a new review and pricing guide out. The 6750 is to run $183 next week supposedly if I'm reading it correctly. If thats the case Yeah, I think I'll be much better off with the 6750. Go Go Intel! :eek:

A lot of places are already selling e6x50's, which sport the new g0 stepping. Should net significantly better overclocking results.

e6750 has 8x multi, so 8x500=4000 1:1 would be a good goal.
Can this board run to 500MHz? I thought it topped out at 400 making 8x400=3.2GHz

Just ordered:

- P5K-VM (to replace P5B Deluxe -- an AWESOME board)
- 8800 GTS-640MB (to replace x1950xt)
- Microfly BX6 (the good looking one -- to replace Antec 900)
- Zalman 8000 (to replace ACF7Pro)

Can't wait to get everything in. I oughta have a killer little box, but I know I'll lose some of my overclock due to heat. This processor still does 3.2GHz at stock voltage!

man this board looks very very promising.. might be picking this up for my htpc now.

I've got a Spanish class from 10:30-12:40 so in the morning I plan to disassemble the system in my signature and begin setting it up in the Microfly.

I can't skip b/c it's a summer class otherwise I would!

I'll have full pics of my Microfly build. I'm not so impressed with the case. From afar it looks stellar (which it will be viewed from afar, next to my 360, DVD player and SNES (!!) directly below the 47" Westinghouse 1080p I'm about to buy the first week of August.

The BX6 is a nice case but the front door kinda sucks. The mechanism that releases it and allows you to pull the door up sticks and requires sometimes a three-finger push to get it open. Not a huge deal once it's built b/c the door will rarely be opened.

Hmmm... wondering if I should go with the PC2 5300 RAM like Pvhk used or go with something higher? Its looking like I'm going to go with a E6750 pcu and the P5K-VM.

Pricing as of this post:

Crucial 2Gb RAM
5300 - $143.99
6400 - $105
8500 - $159.99

The PC6400 are cheaper and the PC8500 is only $16 more.

It's 100% Micron D9GMH

If it means spending $15 more per 2GB, do it!

I think ASUS has sleeper hit on their hands with the P5K-VM. Which BIOS is that, Pvhk? That the BIOS 0401? :)

I figured out the hard way you MUST disable integrated graphics in the BIOS.

I had a HELL of a time getting the machine stable, even unoverclocked!

Sometimes it would boot up and say Overclock Failed when there was no overclock to begin with.

Once I disabled the onboard video my overclock was fine.

I'm now 12 hours Orthos stable @ 3.2GHz @ 1.34v load (I believe something like 1.50 in the BIOS!! wow vDroop)

I figured out the hard way you MUST disable integrated graphics in the BIOS.

Once I disabled the onboard video my overclock was fine.
I'm now 12 hours Orthos stable @ 3.2GHz @ 1.34v load (I believe something like 1.50 in the BIOS!! wow vDroop)

On all my matx boards I 'm used to disable onboard video! I prefer a decent video card...

occt or orthos!
the screen @4Ghz is a max bench (not max stable)

need a better cooling to be stable (due to heat issue) like the TR ultra120!
I will try this on my other rig (giga g33m) 'cause it will fit in the nsk3400 case!

I thought the onboard video is automatically disabled when you install a card and boot up? I'll have to remember to check that feature when I do my build.

no it's the bios 304 first release:

According to the ASUS site the Next Generation 1333fsb procs will be supported with BIOS 0401 for the P5K-VM. I just assumed they meant the current chips launching next week. If so, that means there's a new BIOS coming out if not already out.

http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=7917

Yeah, there is a new BIOS out now. 0401
Here's the linky.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5K-VM

Everyone be sure to check your BIOS version especially if you are planning on getting a 1333fsb chip. :)

the last bios 401 is not needed skott!
My bios 304 recognized perfectly the e6850

And onboard video can be disabled in bios!

No, what I mean is I'm not used to having boards with onboard video.

The last one I had, an i815 board, disabled the video automatically when an AGP/PCI was inserted.

Without that I was having a hell of a time trying to cold boot

I quit because I needed to reboot (windows updates)

good enough for me.

ignore the temps, this is before i cleaned up the wiring. temps still aren't great, but i dropped it to around 63C load.

orthos.JPG

the last bios 401 is not needed skott!
My bios 304 recognized perfectly the e6850

And onboard video can be disabled in bios!

hmmm... then why do they say that on their site? odd of them to confuse us like that. I'll be curious as to what BIOS everyone gets with their mobo.

I'll be curious as to what BIOS everyone gets with their mobo.
why?
even if it is the first bios, all new cpu will recognized!(even q6600 G0 retail) I can say this because initially i was afraid to be compelled to update mine. But it was finally not necessary. the e6850 is a retail box packdate 07/02/07.

I don't know however if kent update his mb (bios 401)

Why? Well, if anything just to see if there are any performance changes. Basically just tracking purposes. See what everyone is getting on their mobos and which BIOS. Thats all. :D

well, kent has the last bios 401, me the 304! but we have not the same cpu...

I updated the BIOS by burning the .rom file to a CD-R and then booting into the BIOS and going to eZFlash.

I <3 how ASUS allows you to update your BIOS without a Windows tool. I've ruined two boards using Windows BIOS flashers.

It's stable as shit, but sometimes I have cold booting issues after changing something in the BIOS. For example, I saved my overclock BIOS settings to ASUS' built in BIOS-setting-rememberer-thingie. Then I changed the CPU speed back to default to see how temps are at 2.13GHz.

Damn thing wouldn't boot. Had to turn it on and off a couple of times for it to say OVERCLOCK FAILED DUDE, YOU SUCK AT LIFE.

This board is really touchy for me, for some reason. I'm hoping it's not a grounding issue, but as you can see it was stable for 22 hours. I just think something I'm using is giving the BIOS fits sometimes.

But once the BIOS is happy, once it boots up the first try and when I can shutdown Windows and immediately turn the computer back on and it boots up it's happy and fine.

Just...touchy?

EDIT: Onboard video is not automatically disabled upon PCI/-E card being inserted. There's an option to initally boot the PC up from PCI-E then PCI then IGP if nothing is available, but it will not automatically kill the onboard.

I can't say that was the result of my problem, but when I finally disabled it a FEW of my problems stopped.

Back