2 12v fans killed my comp. twice

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
i am trying to splice 2 big delta fans together. 12V, 1.6A each. so far i tried them in series and in parallel and both times my computer shut off when i plugged it into a molex connector. what am i doing wrong and how can i wire these two together without it overloading the psu? i have an EA-650. it has 3 12V rails of 22A, 22A, and 25A.

I really hope you're not doing any of that while the computer is running.
Looks like you could use a tutorial in electrical wiring.. putting the fans in parallel is the correct implementation. In series you create 24V, as voltage is a measure of potential difference.

yeah first i tried was in parallel. thats what ive done before with my fans and its worked fine. so why isnt it working this time?

i guess i figured it out. i took it apart and redid it. didnt find any shorts but it works ok now so problem solved i suppose. :p

I really hope you're not doing any of that while the computer is running.
Looks like you could use a tutorial in electrical wiring.. putting the fans in parallel is the correct implementation. In series you create 24V, as voltage is a measure of potential difference.

Well, each fan will simply get 6V each instead of 12V, which will likely cause them to run slower. The PSU is only supplying 12V.

Well ... technically its always 12V no mater what, but in series the two fans would divide the load evenly and spin at a lower speed. The resistance would double, making the fans spin slower as if they were only getting half the voltage. Ohms Law

man.. fail. Sorry, assumed I was working with voltage sources for whatever reason.

So, when you have power coming from a 4-pin molex connector on a line with several molex connectors, are you getting 12v on each?

Why do fans often include male and female molex connections that allow you to wire them in a series if the result is undervolting them?

So, when you have power coming from a 4-pin molex connector on a line with several molex connectors, are you getting 12v on each?

Why do fans often include male and female molex connections that allow you to wire them in a series if the result is undervolting them?

Well, when you have the molexs chained they are still in parallel. Take a good look at how the wires actually connect into the molexs. They are included as male/female pairs so they don't take up connectors and you can still use the male end for other stuff.

Back