2.4c canterwoods?

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
what happened to the intel 2.4c canterwood cores?

i seem to remember them getting up to 3 or 3.3ghz on stock cooling / voltage, and they have HT so it seems like they'd be good folders, especially because the prices would be down now.

but i can't find them on newegg or tiger direct and when i ebay it i get really sketchy results (that might just be inexperience with ebay), does anyone know where i can find some of these bad boys? i have a farm that needs building :D

Are you actually typing in 'Canterwood' in the search field? They're called Northwoods. Canterwood was the codename of the i875 chipset.

...you don't really want these procs (IMO).

Have you compared them to C2D chips? Or a Quad? The new chips OC better, do more work each cycle, and cost less to run per point in power for sure.

Look at the results for some C2D or quads and I think you'll decide if you had the old parts just laying around it's one thing, but to buy them.. even at ebay prices the bang-for-the-buck isn't there... ESP. if you're going to run the SMP client.

..if you've already looked at all this and still want the p4 chips... well, hey, work done is work done.

sharp

The 2.4 Ghz 533 Mhz FSB are the 'B' Northwoods which don't have hyperthreading (except the 3.06 version!). They were also known to be overclocking monsters of their time, hitting 3+ Ghz with an FSB bump.

However, sharp is right...if you already have all the parts in place and just need a CPU, then it isn't so bad, but otherwise, the procs are old and are spanked by newer procs.

I ran a 2.4C (~ 3.5 Ghz OCed) in my older desktop. Hyperthreading boosted points production by maybe 15% or so.

to be honest i have no idea about the core2duo's, back when i left the semprons were some of the most efficient (cheap + good ppw) proc's out there, so i've been out of the game for a while, i just remebered "2.4c to 3.3ghz!" and figured it might be good.

i guess i've just got to start reading again...but i need to finish midterms first...bah. so these c2d's are good for the ppw?

A lot of my farm is very mildly overclocked C2D's.
E6600's @2.65 Ghz on fully intergrated mobo's.
Each does 1,500 PpD only pulling 120 watts out of the wall.

If you want to see what a full SMP farm can do, look at my figures.
I only folded 300 work units last month for 500,000 points pulling 1,500 kW/h out of the wall.

Luck ............. :D

Same for me as Tigerbiten except on a smaller scale. Three systems with 8 cores total.
I'm currently running a Q6600 (3.5ghz), a E6600 (3.375GHz) and a Opty 170 (2.85GHz).
41,000+ PPW (average right close to 6k PPD).

I would suggest (if you can't get a quad right now) to go ahead and get a C2D on a board that will support a quad with good overclocking features. Later you can get a quad and put the C2D to use in a cheaper board.

One C2D will produce more than 4 or 5 of those northwoods.

to be honest i have no idea about the core2duo's, back when i left the semprons were some of the most efficient (cheap + good ppw) proc's out there, so i've been out of the game for a while, i just remebered "2.4c to 3.3ghz!" and figured it might be good.

i guess i've just got to start reading again...but i need to finish midterms first...bah. so these c2d's are good for the ppw?

2.4 to 3.3?

Take a look at my sig. 2.13 E6400 C2D running at 3.4. That's a hell of a lot better overclock although I am using watercooling. A good air cooler would probably get at least 3.2, though with my processor. This is also 2 cores and probably uses less power than a P4 overclocked to similar speeds.

Running the Linux SMP client and the 1760 point WUs, I can pull almost 2200PPD with this system. My P4 2.8 Preshott at work does about 100PPD on the regular Gromacs WUs. It has hyperthreading but I don't run a second client on it. The gain in PPD is minimal and not worth having to wait longer to turn in WUs. I don't think I would even get a 15% points bump running two clients on it. Not unless the second client wasn't using SSE which means it would have to be running tinker or amber WUs I believe as the second client.

2.4 to 3.3.. heh heh indeed.

A good C2D or Quad (I like quads better as folding is my main goal w/ the machine) will do wonders.. my Q6600 runs at 2.4 stock... and happily runs (at stock voltage) at 3.3 on air... so that same 900mhz bump.. only on 4 cores, for a total bump of 3.6ghz... faster than the old proc does total, and it does more work per cycle as well.

..basically new procs are remarkable, and multi-core was made just for folding as far as I'm concerned. (SMP client is mad points too).

...you are going to LOVE what new systems can do.

sharp

Back