2.8 ghz Intel cpu overclocking

Firebat

Gawd
Alright my mission is to overclock my intel p4 2.8ghz cpu. Here are the specs incase you need them to help me out.

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-E_Machines_Desktop_with_Intel_Pentium_4_Processor_2_8GHz_T4892

I made a few upgrades but I don't think they would effect the cpu in any way.

I checked the motherboard manual, Nothing, it says nothing on how to change the cpu speed. So i checked my BIOS. Everything works fine in there, except when i try to select the cpu tab i can't. Its shaded in won't let me do it.

Any suggestions would be nice.

BTW: If i just jack it up 150 mhz would my fan be able to handle it? If not would another fan simply in the case (not over the cpu) take care of that problem?

Overclocking is a function of the motherboard. Most prebuilt systems (Dell, Gateway, eMachines) lock the ability to manipulate the FSB speed from the BIOS. And there is no easy way around it. So unfortunately, you are SOL. If you wanted to, you could always switch out the motherboard for one that does support overclocking, but that would also mean that you might have to re-buy the OS if the one you are using now came bundled with the system.

YOu also might want to google pin-mod overclocking or something with like wording. Sometimes you can manually change the FSB between 400 / 533 / 800 by shorting a couple of the pins of the CPU, but it doesn't work with all cpu's / mobo's, and it's not something for the faint of heart.

Edit, a 533 FSB would OC your CPU to 3.7ghz. A pretty hefty OC to pull off, so pin modding probably isn't all that feasible.

hate to say it friend, but you are kinda borked.

The specs give no mention of the motherboard manufacturer or model number and it is critical information you need as it appears the e-machines people have not installed a motherboard that has the FrontSideBuss (FSB) speed settings enabled in the bios. Perhaps someone very familuar with that model of e-machine might happen by and give you a hidden tip on how to enable it. Some bios have a "secret" keystroke combination to "unlock" hidden or grayed out options the manufacturer does not want end users messing with. It might also be possible if you can find out the exact manuf and model number of the motherboard and that the manufacturer has an more normal bios available for download and install. However as there is no mention of speed settings in the manual, it sure seems they dont want you messing with it and it is probally a made-specificly-for e-machines motherboard and you are stuck. Unless the e-machines expert shows up, all you can do is open her up and go over the motherboard with a flashlight and magnifing glass and note down every number and marking that might indicate who made it and start searching for information. If you can find any e-machines specific forums you might find some information. Its going to be a tricky thing, sorry. I guess you could call their tech support and try to get them to tell you if the grayed out tab can be accessed and how. Normally they wont do that but if you politely squawk enough they might, I would stress to them that you are just looking for a minor performance increase and would not hold them responsible if the cpu is damaged.

I have had no problem getting those cpu to 3+ Mhz with the stock intel fan. Just watch the temps. It should run about 50 deg C at idle/light load with the factory installed thermal pad and stock intel fan. Just keep an eye on temps, what I do is increase the FSB speed until I get a jump in idle temps, to about 60C stable with light load then back off the overclock a bit, and replace the termal pad with artic silver 5, and install a front fan ( or rear, whichever might be empty) for airflow improvements and never had a problem. Your memory modules will probally prevent you from getting too much more speed out of it as I am sure they are some generic 200MHz stuff, it might go to 210MHz but not any more, if even that.

Yes the stock fan should handle that minor overclock, but again, watch the temps, be sure to record the stock temps you have now, just sitting in bios, with windows running, and with a heavy load as a baseline to compare against once you start making changes.

Sysoft Sandra has a burn-in program that records temps that is very handy and its free.

Frankly imo the best thing you could do for that machine is get at least another 256MB of ram.

hmm having pity on you I spent a few minutes searching: :)

Here are better (more detailed) specs.
http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=desktop&subcat=T-Series&model=T4892

most importanty is a clue to the motherboard, it uses the Intel® 865GE Chipset.

These guys:
http://www.emachineupgraders.info/dir1/support/usa_motherboards.shtml

tell us its a VG33 whatever the heck that is, www.emachinesupgraders.info has a forum, I would for sure put up a post over there. You cant be the first person with this issue. hmm not much there.

well digging deeper a google of VG33 motherboard tells me it probally is an FIC product. You should CAREFULLY compare the pictures with your actual motherboard and look for FIC somewhere on your actual motherboard.
http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/INTEL/VG33.aspx

I would download the manual from FIC , and if sure this is your board perhaps try flahing a bios from FIC, HOWEVER, these types of boards seldom have any type of speed adjustments enabled in the bios, they read the CPU and memory type, set speed to meet specs and thats it.

Wish I had better news. Good luck .

Ive got 768mg of ram, i added 512 mgs of pc2700 kingston ram as soon as i got it

pigpen said:
Overclocking is a function of the motherboard. Most prebuilt systems (Dell, Gateway, eMachines) lock the ability to manipulate the FSB speed from the BIOS. And there is no easy way around it. So unfortunately, you are SOL. If you wanted to, you could always switch out the motherboard for one that does support overclocking, but that would also mean that you might have to re-buy the OS if the one you are using now came bundled with the system.

YOu also might want to google pin-mod overclocking or something with like wording. Sometimes you can manually change the FSB between 400 / 533 / 800 by shorting a couple of the pins of the CPU, but it doesn't work with all cpu's / mobo's, and it's not something for the faint of heart.

Edit, a 533 FSB would OC your CPU to 3.7ghz. A pretty hefty OC to pull off, so pin modding probably isn't all that feasible.

How do you figure a pin mod would jack it up to 3.7ghz?

He did it by multiplying 28 (your multiplier) by 133 for a total of 3724mhz....

You might try looking for a version of Clockgen that works with your mobo since it will work in windows and doesn't require bios OC support.

If you find a version that does work don't get all happy since you'll be stuck with default Vcore so you'll be able to get a modest OC at best but some is better than none.

Back