2 Cisco 2503s & 1 1912

COKE CAN

Limp Gawd
Hey guys! I am new here, and my name is Steve.

So I currently have an Associates in Network Security, but it's been awhile since I have had my hands on a router. I ordered the title's package from www.ciscokits.com for my birthday as I am going back to school to finish my BS & Masters. So, do these kits come with everything you need (minus ethernet I presume)? I work an entry level job currently and would like to have some hands on with routers for school, etc. Do you guys recomend anything else that I will need off the bat? Or will this do me fine for school and CCNA?

I am looking forward to puicking you guys' brains. Thanks in advance!

The 1900 is pretty useless for the current CCNA. The 2500s will be ok so long as they have enough ram and flash to run a decently modern IOS. Anything above 12.0 enterprise should be ok.

I completed my CCNP about 1 year ago, and used the following:
2 2514s
1 2621
1 4000 modular router
2 2948s
1 Cat5002

If I had to do it again, I would ditch all of my switches and get 2 2950s, but the routers served me ok for the price.

This is the info:

This Cisco 2503 dual router & 1912 switch kit includes everything you need and supports all the features to pass your CCNA test. The Cisco 2503 is a Cisco 2501 with a built in ISDN BRI port for your later Cisco tests. You must have 16MB of DRAM and 16MB of Flash to run the Enterprise IOS software. Others don't have console kits, transceivers, back to back cables or the latest software. You will also get CCIE tips on CD, CCNA test tips, the IOS on CD, Cisco's TFTP Server and other prep material. These routers are in excellent condition and are guaranteed working. The extra information provided on CD is worth $200 by itself. You will be provided with everything you need to hit the ground running to prepare for your test. No need to spend hours looking for tools, procedures, test review material or fumbling around looking for labs. This is a great educational lab kit. Software licensing is the responsibility of the buyer and is provided on the CD only as a backup of what was loaded on the router when we purchased it. Shipping via UPS Ground in the USA plus any COD fees. International shipping available at an extra cost.

Tested and Guaranteed working!!
16MB DRAM & 16MB Flash
Cisco Back to Back Cable
Two Serial Ports per router
One Ethernet Port per router
One Console Port per router
One AUX Port per router
Two Power Cables
Console cable
Console cable adapter
Built in ISDN BRI port
Two Transceivers
30 Day Warranty!

Additional Items Include:
Enterprise 12.3.19 IOS on CD
TFTP Server
50 Advanced Cisco Labs covering
RIP, OSPF, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP
IP & IPX Routing
Queueing, Multicast, DLSW
Appletalk, IP Firewall, HSRP, NAT
300 Cisco test review questions & tips
List of all Cisco CCNA router commands
IOS Upgrade Instructions
Password Recovery Procedure
CCIE tricks
Cable modem configurations
Connecting thru AUX ports

COKE CAN said:
What's wrong with the 1912?
It’s no good for the CCNA because it uses CATos. :(
You’ll be learning commands you can’t use and you will get confused when taking the exam.

The 1912 is an older model switch that is still used by a few companies so you may see it in the real world, but it’s not much help if you are learning CCNA material.

If you want to pass the current CCNA exam, you need to learn how to configure a 2950 switch which uses Cisco IOS. This is actually much easier to learn once you know how to configure a router since the IOS for a 2950 and a router is very similar. :)

COKE CAN said:
How about the 2924XL? Seems a bit more affordable than the other.
That 2924 XL (Xl-EN model) will work, but it sure costs a lot at. You may want to check out some Sims to go along with your live routers (check your PM). Save the cash for when you are ready for your CCNP or other pro cert.

The routers plus the Sim will put you way ahead of the CCNA candidates who only read books, especially with the Simlets and Testlets Cisco likes to throw your way during the exam.

Back