2 GTX 275s to tide me over until new GPUs come out and drop a bit?

Okay well anyways, I just went and got 2 GTX 275's anyways, heh. Well, now I have a problem. When I install the drivers, everything is off-centered, meaning my whole desktop is like shifted over to where I cannot see the left side and there is an inch of black on the right border and a half inch or so on the bottom. It's also very fuzzy and hurting my eyes, so something isn't right. When I uninstall the drivers it looks competely fine, but obviously that doesn't help.

I uninstall and go to safe mode and run driversweep like usual so I am not doing a single thing differently. I am using the correct drivers too and for vista 64 so I have NO clue what is wrong here. Any ideas?

What monitor are you using? Have you looked to see if there are updated drivers for it?

It seems as if the video driver is mis-reading the correct monitor.
Not sure if it will help, but I also use CCleaner prior to updating drivers.

Well when it's installed and I check in my properties it says "GTX 275 on LG L245WP monitor" for the monitor list. So I'm not sure.

Well, it seems to be correctly ID'n your monitor then.
Have you attempted to change the resolution when it's off center to see if it will correct the alignment?

Yeah I tried that and it didn't work. It just looks like the image is all screwy like there aren't even drivers installed yet it has the nvidia control panel and detects my SLI and stuff - it's all like fuzzy looking.

In CP under Display/Adjust desktop size and position, what setting is it defaulting to?
Mine is set Use my display's built-in scaling, (Dell 2407WFP and 3008WFP).

I knew it was a dumb reason... the connector said HDMI - Audio Enabled instead of disabled and it worked when I change it. This was in the nvp in the change resolution tab.

Hmm nope that didn't work. When I went into SLI mode it did the same thing. I think it thinks I am trying to connect to a tv but I am not. It didn't do this on my 8800 ultras with the same drivers.

The only thing is that I want to play newer games so rolling back to old drivers isn't going to do me any good. I think it's just a bug because if I go to the "change resolution" area in the nvcp and change the input from one thing to another and then back then it resets itself and it works fine. I don't know if it will change on it's own back to the way it was but I at least know the workaround. Not sure why it's doing this as I had zero problems whatsoever with my old video cards installed.

Oh and to answer this: "In CP under Display/Adjust desktop size and position, what setting is it defaulting to?"

I am not at home right now but I think it said something like "your display's connector is incompatible with something something and cannot be re-sized" or something similar to that, I don't remember. It is clearly an issue with my monitor interacting with the drivers. The LG uses an HDMI to DVI connection, but not sure why that would make a difference since it didn't before on my other cards.

That thread I posted stated nVidia broke something and has yet to fix it.
It's why some chose to use the earlier version.
If it was me, I'd try the earlier version and then check gaming performance on the games you have.

Okay well anyways, I just went and got 2 GTX 275's anyways, heh. Well, now I have a problem.

LOL. I thought you would judging from the very first post you made. You already decided what you wanted to do and were gonna ignore any suggestions to the contrary. It makes me laugh though that you're now having problems with those new cards/old tech. :)

It's probably fixable though. Are you sure you've downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia's site? Are you connecting via hdmi cable or dvi? I'd suggest going DVI, as that tends to have the least problems. HDMI can get flakey sometimes for some reason.

Okay well anyways, I just went and got 2 GTX 275's anyways, heh

I am very curious about this as I just returned my GTX 275 for the XFX 5870 & don't regret it one bit. I love Nvidia, but this time around price/performance ratio was to great to pass up.

I hope things work out in the end though...

LOL. I thought you would judging from the very first post you made. You already decided what you wanted to do and were gonna ignore any suggestions to the contrary. It makes me laugh though that you're now having problems with those new cards/old tech. :)

It's probably fixable though. Are you sure you've downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia's site? Are you connecting via hdmi cable or dvi? I'd suggest going DVI, as that tends to have the least problems. HDMI can get flakey sometimes for some reason.

I am using an HDMI to DVI cable, since the LG monitor connects with HDMI. It's gotta be a bug in the drivers. I can remedy it by going into "change resolution" and changing the input type to something else and then back. However, if my monitor shuts off or goes into power saving mode it resets to that goofy look that is off-centered and blurry until I do that again. I remember with my 8800 ultras there were more choices in the connection area than with these GTX 275's, for some reason.

The LG only has HDMI input? Weird. Most monitors are DVI + VGA. If all else fails, try the VGA connector. Otherwise you're going to have to live with changing the settings EVERY time your computer goes to sleep or the screen turns off. Nice video cards. *g* :)

The monitor has an HDMI input and it came with an HDMI to DVI cable. It's clear that the nvidia drivers think that I am using a TV or something for my connection. What's funny is that the 8800 ultras along with these drivers did not do that. Not sure what else I can do besides try older drivers or just wait until new ones come out.

have you tried changing your monitor information? there was a program (Riva tuner) i believe that let you create custom monitor drivers/inf to fool the video card, i used to use it to set custom resolutions. i'd just give that a try .

Yeah that's the one thing I haven't tried which I will try when I get home. I actually went over to the nvidia forums and this seems to be a common issue with the newer drivers. I guess if you are either using a TV as a monitor or a monitor like mine that uses HDMI to DVI cables, the drivers think that you are using a TV and it forces the HDMI connection rather than the DVI and makes it all screwy. I assume nvidia knows about this so hopefully it will be addressed soon. If I can't fix it by going into my monitor settings then I will probably roll back to the earlier set.

I posted in another thread that I had a dead ultra, leaving me with only one. Would it be smart to grab 2 GTX 275s to run in SLI while I wait for the new nvidia cards to come out and drop a little in price? I figure that might give me 6 months use out of these new cards?

Also, I am on a 680i A1 so I think I should still be okay with GTX 275s. Also, in terms of powering these things, will the same power cords I have for the 8800 ultras work for the GTX 275s?
I think an easier way to ask is "Will two of some of the fastest gpu's out there be good enough for me" ... I think you answered it yourself. Believe it or not you don't need the newest GPU to run games. Games are built for what most people have.... which isn't the biggest and best.

Well I finally got that issue cleared up... had to fiddle around with the files during the install to make it accept my monitor as DVI and not HDMI.

Good. It's a good thing nVidia drivers are always perfect and painless, huh?

ATI can't be trusted to make a good video card and driver that work. That's why GTX 275s are better.

Good. It's a good thing nVidia drivers are always perfect and painless, huh?

LOL. I hope you appreciate the irony of this statement considering the op's difficulties in getting his nvidia setup to work as he wanted.

I think an easier way to ask is "Will two of some of the fastest gpu's out there be good enough for me" ... I think you answered it yourself. Believe it or not you don't need the newest GPU to run games. Games are built for what most people have.... which isn't the biggest and best.

Yes, because paying MORE money for 2nd to 3rd best performance and outdated tech is a wise investment... ;)

LOL. I hope you appreciate the irony of this statement considering the op's difficulties in getting his nvidia setup to work as he wanted.

Yes, because paying MORE money for 2nd to 3rd best performance and outdated tech is a wise investment... ;)

Lol.. the OP already had his mind set before creating this post, so, it doesn't mean much.

Isn't the 295 just like 2 275? Spec wise, at least?

Back