2 GTX 285 2GB SC to 2 GTX 295 step up

Stay with GTX 285 2GB SC or step up to GTX 295 co-op?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quixotic

Gawd
My step up window ends in a few days and i was wondering if it's worth it. I have the 2GB version of the "superclocked" GTX 285, and the only option I can step up to is the 295 co-op for $80 each.

Should I do it or is it best to stick with the 285s?

I wouldn't do it. Your GTX285 SCs are faster by themselves than the single GPUs on the 295, plus you've got more memory. You'd be relying entirely on 4 GPU SLI scaling to get any greater performance than you already have so it's possible you'd come up even or worse off depending on the game. Furthermore, you're almost doubling your power requirements.

If you have a high resolution monitor and your CPU is clocked high enough to where it won't bottleneck as much, I'd go for it.

you will be going from 2048mb to just 896mb of usable vram. if you are at 2560 then 896mb will not be enough to crank the settings in some games which would defeat the whole point of having that much gpu power in the first place. if you are below 2560 then even what you have is WAY more than enough. and as already mention 4 gpus dont scale worth a crap anyway in most cases.

btw what cpu, psu and monitor do you actully have?? you really need to make a sig or list ALL your specs when starting threads like this.

btw what cpu, psu and monitor do you actully have??

i7 920 @ 3.7 GHz and 1000W PSU. I'm running below 2560, but FPS still suffers in some games. Although I'm not sure if 295 would help, currently PhysX explosions result in particularly noticeable stutter.

i7 920 @ 3.7 GHz and 1000W PSU. I'm running below 2560, but FPS still suffers in some games. Although I'm not sure if 295 would help, currently PhysX explosions result in particularly noticeable stutter.
what res are you running?

Back