2 NIC'S one computer

Hollow4

Limp Gawd
im trying to have my xp box interface between two networks. im having some problems though. i installed my extra NIC and got it working after i switched PCI slots. i was able to access the internet which is the onboard NIC and access the router setup utility through the secondary NIC. now i tried to install my network printer on the secondary network, which im trying to shield from the onboard nic, and all of a sudden my internet connection is gone. i still have an ip address for both NIC's. I can repair both connections and have it give me the same address. im just wondering why im having problems. im not sure what other information to give you because i new to the network environment.

please give me some feed back and ill try to respond quickly if you have questions.

EDIT: i have a feeling it might have something to do with DNS. both NICS have the same DNS server and im pretty sure thats where the conflict is coming in

Are you setting the IP address manually on the second NIC? My guess is the second NIC comes in, and is getting DHCP info, including a gateway, and trying to go out through that connection.

What are you trying to do here anyways? Have one NIC for Internet traffic and the other for printing only? A MS Paint pic might help out here. :)

no im trying to isolate a my servers on a small dorm network and still have a access to the campus network. my network uses the 192.168 interface and the campus uses 10.10 im just not sure where im getting caught up.

i just tried to manually configure the second NIC and i lost my internet connection.

Hollow4 said:
no im trying to isolate a my servers on a small dorm network and still have a access to the campus network. my network uses the 192.168 interface and the campus uses 10.10 im just not sure where im getting caught up.

i just tried to manually configure the second NIC and i lost my internet connection.

I've run into a similar problem and learned that it has to do with Windows not liking two different gateways. Apparently it will recieve a request in NIC1 and then send the response out NIC2. Unfortunatly I never found a perminant solution and just disabled the network I use least and only enable it when needed.

there shouldn't be a problem multi-homing pc's?

i presume that your college network is using dhcp? if so, leave the interface that's attached to the college network to sort itself out and then statically assign the ip configuration to your 'private' network hosts and away you go. i assume your not trying to make the hosts on your 'private' network communicate with the college network through your main pc?

i think if you can supply an ipconfig /all from both machines then that might be a start?

edit - in your original post you mentioned about being able to access the setup page of your router... are you just using an in-built switch portion of your router, or have you plugged the 'wan' connection of your router into the secondary nic on your pc?

Almost sounds like you want to run ICS (Internet connection Sharing) on your PC with the 2 NIC's. I'm not %100 sure, but I do not think XP home/pro has routing built in (other than ICS) I know server does, but that's a diffrent story.

moetop said:
Almost sounds like you want to run ICS (Internet connection Sharing) on your PC with the 2 NIC's. I'm not %100 sure, but I do not think XP home/pro has routing built in (other than ICS) I know server does, but that's a diffrent story.

nah all the guy wants to do is access multiple, physically seperate, networks from one machine - i think!

im almost 100% sure its down to a misconfiguration of the ip settings on the 'private' side of the network.

i honestly dont want my small network having internet access so im not trying to route through windows. i have a solution that i think is working now. i just have to turn a server on and see if i can manually connect to it. if i can then i can put CUPS on the server and just use that as a print server on the network printer. worst case, i use the usb cable and save the network problems to be sorted out in vista.

ill let you all know in like 20 minutes

pc.jpg

all you should need to do is configure nic 1, which will access the college network, to dhcp for address and dns information...connect it into the socket on your wall that permits you access to the college network and tada, job done. your pc should pick up an address in the 10.10.x.x range as you stated earlier. verify this is working before you continue...

then configure nic 2 with an ip address of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and leave the default gateway and dns information blank. then configure any hosts on your private network with any address between 192.168.0.2 and 254 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, again leaving the default gateway and dns information blank. connect nic 2 to your switch along with your other 'private' hosts and your private network should then be up and running.

both networks remain independant, but you can access resourcese on both - simultaneously, which is what i think your trying to achieve.

quite a simple setup really.

well i have the network working now, just not the printer. oh well ill get it figured out. ill probably just setup CUPS on my server and let that serve all the printing needs.

im not sure how, but after 5 hours of tinkering i have finally fixed it and it actaully works

Back