2-pin motherboard female connectors

I figure this is the most relative sub forum to ask this question:

I've been looking around on Digikey and other suppliers, but would anyone happen to know where I could buy some 2-pin motherboard header (female) plastic pins? I am looking for the same headers that come with a PC case that connect to the FPIO area on an ATX motherboard. What is the "correct name" for these parts?

Also, the same thing goes for the male pins on a motherboard - where can I find these, and what would they be called in an electronics online catalog?

Ultimately, these connectors will be used to connect thermocouple wires to a board for a research project I am working on. If anyone knows a better solution that will work for a standard Radioshack project board http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102843&cp and offers a quick disconnect feature, then the suggestion is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

What is the "correct name" for these parts?
Assuming you mean just the front panel audio header and not fan headers:
Pin headers.
Or breakaway pin headers because a supplier just snaps them off a long strip and sells you however many you need.

Terms to search for them at Digikey are:
CONN HEADR BRKWAY

then refine the search by the material, number of pins, number of rows, pitch AKA lead spacing (.1" for motherboards) number of rows you need and straight or right angle.

For instance:
A26529-05-ND = 2 rows of 5 pins (10 total), .1" pitch, male, gold finish, straight.

I mean the FPIO headers such as POWER SW and RESET SW. I'll take a look at those digikey parts you provided.

Ok, thanks a ton guys. This works for the pins. Now, what about the 2-pin female connectors that join to these headers? Where can I find those, and what are they called?

if you know people at any of your local computer stores,go there.they always have old cases and stuff lying around.take what you need,pins,connectors whatever you need and throw them a few bucks.
they dont even charge me when i go!!

The thing is, I need to get at least 30 of them for this particular project - not exactly easy to come by. I don't know of any small computer shops here in Orlando - just large outlets such as BB, CC, Radioshack, etc. I also need to order the header pins with the female connectors, so I might as well order them together if I can find them.

I never thought these would be so difficult to find.

What you are you looking for are called either sockets, recipticles or housing's depending on the manufacturer.

We are looking for board mounted ones right?

Try pages 1119 & 1131 from Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/630/1119.PDF

(3M's pin headers are located on page 118 if you want to buy matching parts)

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/630/1131.PDF

I am looking for board-mounted pin headers, but non-board mounted sockets/receptacles/housings. The housings will connect to thermocouple wire, and the pin headers will connect directly to the board. See what I am trying to do here?

Thanks a ton Mister X. I assume I can use the same 0.1" spaced pin headers mentioned before with these receptacles?

I need to measure the thermocouple wire we are using. I am fairly certain it is between 22 and 26 AWG. I'll check it out before ordering.

How restricted are you for size? You might want to use locking molex connectors so that they don't come loose.

Edit: I was thinking of:

These crimps (top)

These Connectors

and

These headers

They are basically 2 pin versions of the locking connectors that they use on cpu fan headers. They lock so they shouldn't come out, but the other nice thing about them is that they are white and big enough to number so you can easily keep track of which wire is which (I saw you have 30 thermocouple leads to connect). The only thing I would suggest is if the wires are closer to 30 awg, double them over before you crimp them on there.

How restricted are you for size? You might want to use locking molex connectors so that they don't come loose.

Edit: I was thinking of:

These crimps (top)

These Connectors

and

These headers

They are basically 2 pin versions of the locking connectors that they use on cpu fan headers. They lock so they shouldn't come out, but the other nice thing about them is that they are white and big enough to number so you can easily keep track of which wire is which (I saw you have 30 thermocouple leads to connect). The only thing I would suggest is if the wires are closer to 30 awg, double them over before you crimp them on there.

This is a great idea! I may do this since I was thinking just what you mentioned - that the connections would be somewhat wobbly and prone to disconnect.

Would anyone happen to know whether or not I should use a certain metal type for the contact when using thermocouple wire? I don't want to throw off the accuracy of the thermocouples just by adding connectors.

Oh, here is another connector that might be of use: http://www.thermocouplecomponents.com/multimedia/publish/docs/TCC Hamitherm Catalog June 2005.pdf - Page 26. Does anyone know whether or not these will fit on this "standard" Radioshack project board? http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...roductId=2102843&support=support&tab=features

This connector seems pretty good, but the cost might opt me to use the one suggested by TMan1876. Then again, these connectors are designed and calibrated for thermocouples, so they might not affect reading accuracy.

Basically, it depends on how important the work you are doing is. If it were something important, definately use the calibrated connectors. They will cost more, but using the right tool for the job is always better. I would be amazed if these would not mount on a standard protoboard. You can always call the manufacturer and ask, but most anything that is made to be mounted on a circuit board has the proper pin spacing.

My university uses connectors like this for their TCs. You do need a connector that is polarized because TCs have positive and negative terminals.

I don't want to throw off the accuracy of the thermocouples just by adding connectors.

I would be way more worried about resistor tolerances then I would about the contact resistance of a connector.
Is there some mechanism that allows you to calibrate the device?
(if not the accuracy of the final product is a big question mark anyhow)

Page 26. Does anyone know whether or not these will fit on this "standard" Radioshack project board?

The dimensions are right there on page you linked. ;)

Hole spacing: 0.1x0.1" grid pattern

If you are that concerned with vibration I would suggest Mouser # 651-1725656 ;)

I would be way more worried about resistor tolerances then I would about the contact resistance of a connector.
It's not the contact resistance, it's the contact materials. Thermocouple connectors are in metal alloys to suit the type of thermocouple being used, so other junctions don't generate a voltage due to their local temperature and give an error.

But if these connectors are mounted on the circuit board near (and at the same temperature as) the metering electronics, it shouldn't affect things; after all, in the best meters the PCB tracks going everywhere are all just copper. ;)

Back