2 Rigs 5820k rig vs 6600k rig one has to go!

2-rigs-1-gpu-5820k-rig-vs-6600k-rig-have-have-both-which-should-i-keep

• Other Please explain in thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jayham

Gawd
"No longer 2 rigs 1 GPU"

Really torn... have 2 rigs one of them has to go. Which rig should I keep and why? Which rig would you keep?
Uses mainly gaming, although I will be converting my DVD & Blu-Ray collection to digital media (over 400 discs o_O have 3x 4TB WD drives left. I know I've said I would never go back to full ATX after going mITX but that NZXT H440 is so pretty :oops: and the Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P is sexy!

I change hardware often and stumbled on the following parts for a deal I couldn't pass.
Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P
4x4GB EVGA 2800MHz
Corsair HX850i
Corsair H110i GT
NZXT H440

Rig #1
https://goo.gl/photos/y9SBjn65x5QJSzCUA

5820k @4.5GHz 1.25v or 4.6GHz 1.31v in bios
Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P
4x4GB EVGA 2800MHz (although can't seem to run higher than 2400MHz)
2x Samsung 850 256GB Pro's in Raid 0
4TB WB Green
Corsair HX850i
Corsair H110i GT
NZXT H440 (Beautiful case although I prefer smaller cases much smaller)
Nvidia GTX 980

Rig #2
https://goo.gl/photos/Tw9DNHqxeQQXSKSk9

6600k @4.6 1.2V in bios
Gigabyte Z170N mITX Gaming 5
2x8GB 2400MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
Samsung 850 250GB
4TB WD Green
Corsair CX600
Corsair H100i v2
Bitfenix Prodigy ITX
Asus R9 Nano

Last edited:
Well converting over 400 DVD/BD to digital format will be a good bit faster (depending on software) on the 6 core processor.

Haha, yes but to be honest I've been telling myself that I will convert these discs for quite a while now. Every time I look at them it's like ugh they take up a good chunk of space.

Haha, yes but to be honest I've been telling myself that I will convert these discs for quite a while now. Every time I look at them it's like ugh they take up a good chunk of space.

Well, if you've got the storage for it you really don't have to transcode the Blu-ray discs. I would run the DVDs to h.264 at the least though.
I generally just rip BDs as is, my DVD collection got ripped and transcoded to h.265 though.

As to which to keep, I vote 6600k, newer, shinier and smaller.

Well, if you've got the storage for it you really don't have to transcode the Blu-ray discs. I would run the DVDs to h.264 at the least though.
I generally just rip BDs as is, my DVD collection got ripped and transcoded to h.265 though.

As to which to keep, I vote 6600k, newer, shinier and smaller.

But converting them to x264 Constant Quality 19 will save you about 2-3x the capacity versus the original disc, and be visually identical. This takes about an hour and as half after the video is ripped on my ancient Core i5 2500k (very fast default setting), so you'll just mow through them in half-hour on 12 threads. The encoders they use for the disc master are incredibly wasteful, simply because they have a predefined bitrate they target for dual-layer Blu-Ray.

Also, mkv has far more universal support on media players, while ripped Blu-Ray folders may not.

Finally, there are enough 8-threaded games out now that you'll really start to see the benefits of the 5820k. I'm not saying you NEED it over the 6600k, but you will notice extra smoothness and higher minimum frame rate as games add even more threads.

Expect at least 8 threads in whatever replaces the PS4/One, if not more like 16. If Xen is going to be available by them, I don't see why they wouldn't go with it :D

Last edited:
Good info, I'm not sure on what format I'd rip my collection to but as long as I can fit them onto the storage I have 2 of the 4TB drives would be great although I'm not sure I could fit them on 8TB. I've even considered liquidating them...

Still torn though.
6600k rig compact, super quiet, cool temps, small footprint, powerful.
5820k rig gorgeous looking, relatively quiet, cool temps, powerful

Good info, I'm not sure on what format I'd rip my collection to but as long as I can fit them onto the storage I have 2 of the 4TB drives would be great although I'm not sure I could fit them on 8TB. I've even considered liquidating them...

Still torn though.
6600k rig compact, super quiet, cool temps, small footprint, powerful.
5820k rig gorgeous looking, relatively quiet, cool temps, powerful

Your average 2 hour movie will take up around 10-12GB. That's using visually lossless 19 Constant Quality Factor. That clocks in at 4-5TB to record 400 movies, giving you some extra room for a few dozen 3-hour epics :D

You should still have room for several more after you're finished.

Your average 2 hour movie will take up around 10-12GB. That's using visually lossless 19 Constant Quality Factor. That clocks in at 4-5TB to record 400 movies, giving you some extra room for a few dozen 3-hour epics :D

You should still have room for several more after you're finished.

Your average DVD runs around ~200-500Meg when done in HEVC on CRF24 with ffmpeg. (that's audio untouched w/ subtitles where appropriate) Takes a bit longer than h.264 but they do end up quite tiny.

Your average DVD runs around ~200-500Meg when done in HEVC on CRF24 with ffmpeg. (that's audio untouched w/ subtitles where appropriate) Takes a bit longer than h.264 but they do end up quite tiny.

I'm sorry, I meant to say: for h.264

You average 2-hour Blu Ray 1080p will take 10-12 GB if you like lossless compression. You can make it significantly smaller if you don't mind lower quality :D

You need around 1 GB (small quality loss) to 2GB (lossless) for each DVD.

HEVC is pretty impressive, but you get a massive increase in encode processing power needed. And it's still not playable on the majority of EXISTING devices, even at 1080p. You have to decide if you want to spend the extra time and effort, as it takes about 3x the encode time versus x264 very fast.

I need good audio/video wouldn't sacrifice one for the other. Nothing worse than watching a movie with good video but bad audio or vice versa. So this might even be totally doable on a single 4TB :)

Keep both rigs and part with the 5820k when the work is done?

The X99 is a much higher-end chipset than Z170... why trade that in for a slightly newer architecture? You give up quite a few features. If I could afford an X-series chipset, I'd be tempted to go with it. Performance enhancements for each architecture aren't what they used to be.

Sounds like you already made up your mind then?

Have fun :D
Not really just tossing the idea, again I like both rigs and performance/aesthetics go to the 5820k rig, compact/quieter/cooler goes to 6600k rig. Both capable machines no doubt.

The X99 is a much higher-end chipset than Z170... why trade that in for a slightly newer architecture? You give up quite a few features. If I could afford an X-series chipset, I'd be tempted to go with it. Performance enhancements for each architecture aren't what they used to be.

Not sure really. I don't think I've ever been so indecisive on some parts/builds before lol.

Definitely go with the 5820k. Odds are you will definitely notice the times when the X99 setup is faster (+50% cores), and won't notice when the Z170 setup would be faster (~10% single threaded IPC improvement).

Definitely go with the 5820k. Odds are you will definitely notice the times when the X99 setup is faster (+50% cores), and won't notice when the Z170 setup would be faster (~10% single threaded IPC improvement).

Very good point of view makes good sense, I think I'm leaning more towards the 5820k rig I do in fact consider and value the forum members thoughts and opinions thanks guys.

Something else to consider now is I JUST picked up an Asus R9 Nano (buddy picked up R9 Fury X, and about gave me this thing) dropped it in the 6600k rig and it's just so darn cuuuuute, lol! Possibly another thread for that because reviews show it trades with the 980, sound about right?

Tiny card!

Back