2 sound cards, same output

kidicarus74

Limp Gawd
So, here's what i've got: and Abit AV8 with onboard realtek 7.1 audio (i think it's 7.1 at least, not that that really matters tho) and a Creative Sound Blaster Exitgy (external usb sound card thing with every connection imaginable). what i want to do is have my speakers hooked up to my soundblaster and my headphones hooked up to the onboard audio and then have both cards output the same thing. That way I can just use the power button on the exitgy to turn off the sound comming out of the speakers and leave my headphones plugged in all the time. Is it possible. Sure, i can plug my headphone into the Exitgy but that turn off the speakers and i hate having to plug in my headphones every time i want to use them...

thanks

I can't think of any way to make windows output the same sound signal to both sound cards. If there is a way to do it, I don't know about it. I would just use your Extigy for everything because it's probably a bit better than your onboard audio as far as sound quality goes. If you only have 1 output to use for both headphones and speakers just get a Y-splitter cable and then the signal goes to both. You can then just turn down the speakers when not in use or turn them off if they have a power button. If they don't have a power button you could rig up one yourself with a simple switch or just buy a cheap power strip and use that to turn the speakers on/off.

the speakers are actually 5.1 surround speakers (Altecs actually) so the y-splitter thing won't work... thanks tho

Why wouldn't the Y-splitter work? You just place the Y-Splitter on the Front Left/Right channel so it goes to your Front Left and Front Right speakers as well as the headphones. You will then get 5.1 out of your speakers and stereo out of your headphones. You should then be able to turn on/off your speakers using one of the methods I listed above.

Back