20 1GHz Dell Optiplex GX150, DC forum group buy (for real this time)

Crashsector

[H]ard|Gawd
Never mind, seems that there isn't enough interest in this. I'll keep my eyes open for some better deals.

Anyone that is still interested can still contact me.

Crashsector said:
OK everyone, I know we were all disappointed about the last Optiplex deal. Hopefully this one will work out a little bit better.

Some have you may have seen that I recently picked up 5 of these machines from a somewhat local dealer. I am willing to pick up 20 more and resell them to members of the DC forum AT NO PROFIT TO MYSELF. I will only charge my cost plus actual shipping.

The reason I am acting as an intermediary is because I am dealing with a wholesaler and he doesn't deal with end customers, and I don't blame him.

The specifications are:

- Dell Optiplex GX150 (small form factor)
- 10GB hard drive
- 256MB PC133 SDRAM (with one DIMM slot free)
- Onboard 3Com 920 series 10/100 NIC
- Slim CD-ROM
- Floppy drive
- PXE LAN Boot Capable
- Personally guaranteed to work with mage's Fold-Server
- Manual is located here.

The price right now (it may go down if more than 20 machines are spoken for) is $147 each plus shipping! The more you buy, the more you save on shipping!

These machines are more expensive than the others listed before, but they're also more powerful. Remember, it's for 33!

This is how it is going to work.

1. If you're interested, e-mail me (andy at crashsector dot net) and let me know 1) how many you want, 2) your ZIP code, and 3) your HF username.
2. Once I have firm committments on at least 10 machines, I'll pay and go pick them up.
3. I will email you and ask for payment. I accept PayPal, personal checks, and money orders. PayPal orders will ship next day, money orders will ship when I receive the order, and personal checks must clear.
4. The machines will be shipped via UPS ground with no insurance by default. You must specify in advance if you want insurance. I promise they will be packed very well.
5. Anyone who backs out of a committment will be beaten with a stick.

I have dealt with this guy in the past and this is a very reliable deal (unlike the last one).

I have a lot of feedback on eBay and Heat under Crashsector. Please contact me via PM or email (andy at crashsector dot net) if you have any questions.

OK, so I lost the sticky but also dropped the lock.

Please only reply with legitimate questions and/or comments. I am doing this for the good of the [H]orde and we don't need another flame fest.

Come on you c[h]aritable [h]orders!

I believe this is a legitimate comment. I don't mean to put down this deal or anything. Might there not be better deal for dollar/mhz. How about those Sempron motherboard combos? If you get some cheap 256-512 mb ram and a 68 dollar case with shipping. It's really all up to the individual. If I wanted 3 ghz of power I would sooner be running two AMD systems instead of 3 of these systems.

MN Scout

Well you did manage to put the deal down.

Please only reply to this thread if you're interested in the deal mentioned. Sure, there may be better MHz/dollar offers, but these machines offer some advantages that others don't. They're factory-made, SFF, completely tested, among other things.

just a question related to these machines. In your experience, what is the average ppd these guys can put out and roughly how much is the power requirements.

Although I will not be getting these due to financial and space reasons, those two questions might sway some guys. ;)

Disclaimer: Not trying to start or contribute to flamewar. This is an attempt to state my opinions in a nonconfrontational manner.

I agree that it is a good deal for these machines. However, I question the idea of 1gHz boxes for the farm. Your farm is great, don't get me wrong, it's leagues better than what I've got or had in the past.

But when a factory-assembled, pretested, PXEing machines is only a little more than these, I don't see why we would want to buy them. Celeron 2.7 for $300, for example. I have a (athlon) compaq machine that looks exactly like this one. The integrated lan is usually a clue that it does PXE. I haven't looked up these machines, but I would wager that 95% of the machines with integrated lan will work with fold-server.

I would be interested in doing a group buy, even if I can't host them myself, but not with these machines. Thanks for the offer though, but I think we can do better. If I am proved wrong in the future, I will offer my humble apologies.

Back