2000 Server Performance Monitor guidance

F1xxer

Weaksauce
EDIT: I wasn't clear enough with my first description. So I'll modify the question:

What performance monitors are best to track if a program is not letting go RAM when it's not being used?

I need to track a SQL server application to make sure it's releasing RAM in the evening when no one is using the associated apps on it.

Thanks.

How many simultaneous DB users?
How large is the DB?
What kind of disk subsystem is being used on the server? RAID level?

When users complain the server is "sluggish", it's important to clarify exactly what about it is sluggish. Is it just the DB app? File sharing? When is it sluggish? Does it happen the same time every day? How long does it seem to be sluggish? Is it sluggish when multiple users are hitting the DB at the same time?

As you can gather there is not going to be a "quick fix" until more details are revealed. I wouldn't jump into Netperfmon until you gather answers to the above questions. The users description is too general to be using any diagnostic tools just yet.

Edit: changed first post. This isn't a user problem. It's all about two applications coexisting on a machine that I need to monitor to make sure there's enough room in the town for the two of them.

SQL doesn't let go of RAM AFAIK.
It takes what it needs and hangs on for dear bytes.
I think there are ways of tweking to take more or less, but by default it'll take a big chunk and cache commonly used table data to RAM for faster access.

F1xxer said:
Edit: changed first post. This isn't a user problem. It's all about two applications coexisting on a machine that I need to monitor to make sure there's enough room in the town for the two of them.

Maybe it's not a RAM related problem at all.

By changing your post and eliminating the description of the problem, it is doubtful you'll get as helpful responses.We are not mind readers, so as much information as you can provide would provide faster and better qualified answers. There are too many variables and not enough information for anyone to give any kind of real help.

There really isn't any other information to provide. I wanted a way to track if program A is letting program B grab enough RAM. Not much else matters. But I played around with it until I got the counters I needed.

Like I said, all I needed was proof for the vendor of one of our software packages that their program had enough RAM to keep it coexisting on that server. I've been through Troubleshooting 101, hell, I've probably written part of the syllabus. ;)

Thanks for sort of attempting to help though...

Back