$2000 to spend on a computer...

styleboy

Limp Gawd
What do you buy... this would include a Dell 2407wfp monitor. Also the system would not be used for much gaming.

I would get a TB of storage and a simple X2 or C2D, something to run cool and quiet.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that storage only needs to be like 75-100gb max.

define not much. as in, rarely used to play games, or as in not a large variety of games

if its not going to be used for gaming, but more of a productivity system, just go on the cheap, with a 250gb drive for everything (theyre dirt cheap now)

Basically it will be a hard core workstation. Games as probably no games at all. Main storage will be in an external harddrive so I was thinking a 74gb raptor for the drive.

$750 - Dell 24" 2407WFP Ultrasharp Flat Panel Monitor Wide
$315 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
$151 - Asus P5B-E Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express
$175 - G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
$220 - WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache ($30MIR)
$106 - Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W PSU
$45 - Cooler Master Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP
$40 - Scythe SCNJ-1100P 120mm CPU HSF
$40 - Freetech PX6200TD-128M GeForce 6200 128MB ($10MIR)
$30 - Samsung 18X DVD±R DVD Burner SH-S182D
=========
~$2000 after tax/shipping/rebates

lol... "I have $2000 to spend. I dont game, storage needs to be 100GB at most, CPU should only need like 1.8ghz and i really dont need more then 1GB ram" :D $2000 is a lot for a PC, if you dont need that good of a PC don't spend so much!

lol... "I have $2000 to spend. I dont game, storage needs to be 100GB at most, CPU should only need like 1.8ghz and i really dont need more then 1GB ram" :D $2000 is a lot for a PC, if you dont need that good of a PC don't spend so much!

Not every PC that you spend over 2k on is for gaming. At my office we spend well over that much for just work stations, which is what he wants here. Something fast, but is more work/storage.

~What work do you plan on doing, because if it is CPU heavy invest more in that, or if you need RAM, etc.

I'll ask the same question theDreamer asked... what kind of work will you be doing on this machine? The system I configured is basically the same system we use at work for our workstations. We run alot of simulation programs, and other CPU intensive tools, and that setup is pretty good for our needs. If you run more intense/specialized sims, you may need more ram and a quadcore.

FYI, if you get dell discounts through your work, you could probably get that same system for less, and it will come with windows. The only drawback is the lack of overclockability on the mobo/ram.

I think all he will be using is paint and IE...so with that said he probabley needs a Q6600, 4 Raptors in a Raid0...you know the good stuff :)

I'd spend $1K on a nice laptop, maybe the $999 Dell 9400 and $1K on a Westy 37" 1080i LCD monitor / TV.

A laptop would be pretty useless sitting on a desk 24/7... It would be a workstation used for doing a lot of CAD work as well as other 3d modeling programs. and yes, paint and notebook as well. Don't forget calc.

Actually, I think I'd be tempted to build it on a Poweredge SC1430 as a base - for the dual socket 771 mobo. The ability to add a second dual core xeon or swap out later to dual quad core xeons might be nice for heavy duty workstation.

The ability to configure with 10K rpm SAS drives is nice too.

A 1.86Ghz dual core Xeon, 2GB ram, 80GB 10K rpm drive config comes in at about $1450 before corporate / SB pricing or coupon codes.

The onboard video probably sucks though.

Only wrinkle is the two pci-e slots are 8X slots with 4 pipelines each and don't officially support video - Dell doesn't really want people using these low price servers for workstations - so there might even be a heatsink sitting behind the slots making it tough to dremel off the back of the slot and let an X16 card overhang - so you might need a PCI-E X16 to X8 pipeline converter / wear out extender. I've used this on a Poweredge 830, should probably work on this one.

A laptop would be pretty useless sitting on a desk 24/7... It would be a workstation used for doing a lot of CAD work as well as other 3d modeling programs. and yes, paint and notebook as well. Don't forget calc.
In that case, you'll need a good vidcard, lol. Go with a high end ATI card. The professional cards aren't worth their price tags, since they just have different drivers than the high end gaming cards (well, that used to be the case anyway; not sure if it still is).

Back