2000MHz Hyper transport???

Intel's official support was 945 and 955. EM64T doesnt have all the instructions of AMD64. And yes, HTT offers that much bandwidth.

The NX thing is kinda dumb, though.

robberbaron said:
Intel's official support was 945 and 955. EM64T doesnt have all the instructions of AMD64. And yes, HTT offers that much bandwidth.

The NX thing is kinda dumb, though.
HTT offers 8.0GB/s bandwidth, not 14.4. the memory controller is independant of the HTT and isn't part of HTT's bandwidth.

ryan_975 said:
HTT offers 8.0GB/s bandwidth, not 14.4. the memory controller is independant of the HTT and isn't part of HTT's bandwidth.
It doesn't really matter at this point that page is horrendously outdated now.

If we were using the AMD way of counting things now the total amount would be:

20.8GB/s of "system bandwidth"

12.8GB/s for Dual Channel DDR2-800

8.0GB/s for HyperTransport I/O

Intel would have

8.5GB/s for a 1066FSB of Bandwidth shared for I/O and Memory Bandwidth as apparently I/O traffic has to go through the FSB on Intel system.

Not that these "figures" mean very much, mind you. I/O bandwidth has little impact on Single Socket systems.

ryan_975 said:

Ah, I see. The HTT on the AMD64 X2 does 8GB/s. HTT itself has climbed up to 40GB/s.

robberbaron said:
Ah, I see. The HTT on the AMD64 X2 does 8GB/s. HTT itself has climbed up to 40GB/s.
<3 the ht3 standard :D

i bet opterons will scale even more better with more sockets now :p

Just a real quick question about HyperTransport compatability. I poked my head through the thread and did seem to find a satisfactory answer. Will a chip which is marked for 2000 MHz HT work on a board rated for 1000 MHz HT? For example:

This chip:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

and htie board:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131570

Im asking if the 2000MHz HT chips are backwards compatable to 1000MHz boards (if there is indeed a difference between 1000 and 2000 MHz).

EDIT:
On a more thorough reading of the thread, especially post #11, it seems that HyperTransport is Hypertransport (within a version number) and that items rated differently are due to different marketing strategies. Still, is it possible that the motherboard only claiming 1000MHz only reads once during a clock cycle and only allows for 1000MTs? Will this cause compatability issues?

2000mhz = 1000mhz

just confusing designations due to the fact that it can send twice per clock

Back